6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player's Packs or Prizes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Player's Packs or Prizes? Reply with quote

I have been to a few events recently that seem to be trending towards having decent player's packs by sacrificing good prizes. What is the general consensus in this field?

If given the choice, would you prefer to receive cool player's packs and play trophy only or would you prefer to compete for good prizes and get less in a player's pack?
novosel14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is player's pack. Everyone walks with something nice for the money that they put out to play.
English101

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it kind of depends on who you are trying to draw in. If you want rec and intermediate guys to come, guarantee them some plastic or a t-shirt, and it will draw that group.

I suspect most open guys are not really interested in a basic level players pack, they probably are looking to take home some cash if possible.

A PDGA event should in my opinion have a decent players pack. While for local events, I think any player's pack is just a bonus.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Matt. As an Open/ Pro player I don't really care about getting a players pack. It's a nice bonus, but really I would rather have that money put to the cash payout.

For AM players I think that players packs are great though. If I were running a tournament I would try to have players packs for the AM's and no players packs for the pro's (we get to play for cash)

It's always up to the td's though. They're the ones doing all the work.
mook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for player's packs cause I'm a baby who doesn't realize that I am entering a competitive competition and don't understand that my tournament winnings and prizes are dependent upon how I play!!!

I'm just kidding...

I actually agree with James and Matt. It makes sense that the more competitive the division, the less player's packs should matter. The PDGA payout table even designs the payout so that the less experienced divisions get paid much deeper so that there are fewer that walk away without anything. If you get something upon arrival, you've already won.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do want to clear the question up. I am talking about Am divisions. Open always plays for cash, and rarely has player's packs. It is the Am divisions that we are discussing.

IAt fundraiser events and such, I think we can all agree that player's packs may be higher valued than prizes, simply because the point is to raise funds and goof off more than to compete and win.

I do think that at higher competition levels, even the SIMS type events, it would be better to have prizes worth competing for. That may bolster some healthy competition and interest from folks outside the area. I wouldn't travel for hours to get a player's pack, and then compete for nothing.

I do think Blake has a point, though. If possible, getting something for everyone who pays to walk away with should be important. For years, it has been that you pay, get a commemorative disc, or mini, or shirt, or something as a player's pack. Then you compete for schwag.

I have just seen that lately, some events have decided to go trophy only with decent player's packs, rather than playing for prizes. Personally, I would rather play for cool stuff as an Am, rather than get the consolation player's pack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: