6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hole 7 at Ross Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Trash Talking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Hole 7 at Ross Park Reply with quote

i have noticed a bigger and bigger hole appearing at the base of those thick trees right in front of the basket when you're shooting from the tee. i don't know if this is just park maintenance, but if it isn't whoever is trimming those branches should start palying their disc golf on football fields or regular golf courses because that is just ridiculous. part of this game is the obsticles and i could go on and on but i won't.

Evil or Very Mad james Evil or Very Mad
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: absolutely Reply with quote

Not only is the brush removed (you've got to expect some of that from searches and maintenance) but actual large, living branches are being cut down regularly. Someone had to bring a saw down and go at it. The trees there are definately part of the design and the make the hole commonly loved and hated. that to me is a good hole. it can be hit with a forehand (low and high) backhand roller or accurate backhand through the gap. if the tree become so bare it is easy to punch through any spot it it a pretty dumb hole. there are enough ways to get a birdie and a ton of way to get an easy par. leave it alone.

I want the hole to have risk and reward. if you cut it close to the tree to try for the bird, and fail, it should hurt your score. If you can go for it, miss, and still easily lay up and par it doesn't have much risk. if you can just throw it at the tree and get through most of the time and par the rest- what is the point.

If you find yourself in the tree often- find a new shot or lay up wide left and go for easy pars. that's strategy and learning.

Stop modifying the trees please, you wouldn't bring your mower to highland because the rough is too long.

Lance

While we are at it. the branches that overhang near 9 (the dead, tricky, grabby ones) should stay as long as their natural life lets them to keep the hole from being raw power. They make you have control of the disc in several ways. the same for 2, the Y on 8, the brush behind 6...etc

I did some trimming on 8 on the "y" last year to clean up the base and make a throw through the Y more attractive. It still maintains risk/reward and is visually appealing. I don't think it is any easier as a result, just different.
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: absolutely Reply with quote

Not only is the brush removed (you've got to expect some of that from searches and maintenance) but actual large, living branches are being cut down regularly. Someone had to bring a saw down and go at it. The trees there are definately part of the design and the make the hole commonly loved and hated. that to me is a good hole. it can be hit with a forehand (low and high) backhand roller or accurate backhand through the gap. if the tree become so bare it is easy to punch through any spot it it a pretty dumb hole. there are enough ways to get a birdie and a ton of way to get an easy par. leave it alone.

I want the hole to have risk and reward. if you cut it close to the tree to try for the bird, and fail, it should hurt your score. If you can go for it, miss, and still easily lay up and par it doesn't have much risk. if you can just throw it at the tree and get through most of the time and par the rest- what is the point.

If you find yourself in the tree often- find a new shot or lay up wide left and go for easy pars. that's strategy and learning.

Stop modifying the trees please, you wouldn't bring your mower to highland because the rough is too long.

Lance

While we are at it. the branches that overhang near 9 (the dead, tricky, grabby ones) should stay as long as their natural life lets them to keep the hole from being raw power. They make you have control of the disc in several ways. the same for 2, the Y on 8, the brush behind 6...etc

I did some trimming on 8 on the "y" last year to clean up the base and make a throw through the Y more attractive. It still maintains risk/reward and is visually appealing. I don't think it is any easier as a result, just different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Trash Talking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: