5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stability
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are we suddenly ticked off at me? The data back's up Lance's argument. Here are the three questions asked by Lance:

1) Headwinds decrease the stability of the disc because the pressure difference between the front and the back increases, therefore the torque increases. As long as the spin remains constant, the torque increasing will overcome the gyroscopic inertia and flip the disc anny.

2) Headwinds increase the apparent spped of the disc, thus increasing the pressure difference between front and back....

3) Headwind does diddly-jack to the spin, therefore, as torque increases ...

So, in conclusion, apparent speed causes the torque to impart more force on a disc to drive it anny. Unless the gyroscopic inertia is increased to counter the increased torque, the disc will flip.

Spin increases disc stability, speed decreases disc stability. This is what the physics says, as I have read. One more basic illustration.

Does your disc turn anny when you are standing at the tee box and spinning it on your fingertips? No speed = no turn. You can spin the crap out of that little disc, but it will just sit there and spin flat. However, when the disc is spinning on your fingertips, it is much easier to balance than when it is not spinning.
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally learned to throw a Katana, but now want something a little more stable in a light-moderate head wind. I'm throwing 167 pro plastic. Should I go with a 175 Katana? 167 Star Katana or a 167 Pro Destroyer? My dilema is wieght vs mold vs plastic. Any thoughts oh wise forum?
cowan521

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well me having thrown every one of those the star katana is the most stable i cannot flip it, though im not a man yet i would advise against the star one and say go with the pro destroyer it will be more stable then a heavy katana for longer. just my opinion.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: