10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Question about specific hole design

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: General Question about specific hole design Reply with quote

I am still looking for feedback in relation to running a tournament next year and I have another question. What would be the general response if you had a hole that was about 300 ft long, but the basket was surrounded by OB on two sides. Meaning that there is about 10 ft to the OB to the back and to the right of the basket. I think it creates a challenging hole, but didn't want to do it if there are going to be a lot of complaints.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Caleb Wolfe
ScottW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where specifically are you looking to set up a hole like this Question In my opinion disc golf tournaments don't have enough OB or water hazards Shocked . As much as they can suck and kill your score they do eventually make you a better smarter player Cool . I'd like to see more OB designations at Bengal Ridge (which I know is easier said than done), or even courses like Freeman Park or Lake Walcott SP. Hard courses are frusteratingly fun Confused . I can't imagine how hard Bengal Ridge would be with designated OB areas but it would be neat to see how it would affect my game and make me a smarter player. As far as a single tournament goes I'd say fill it with OB, give people a different experience than what they are used to. Any idea yet on when you might be running this tournament Question

ScottW
PDGA #28786
RobBull

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: input Reply with quote

Caleb,

10 feet on two sides may be a little extreme. At an event last year there was 250 ft hole with an island green. However, the island was only a 20 ft circle at max. The back side was only about 15 feet long behing the basket. There were instances where shots were hitting solid chains and bouncing and rolling OB.

I think 10 to the right is fine, you may want to extend the back a little or vice versa. I am in the process of designing a course with a peninsula hole. The hole is 200 feet long on a peninsula that goes into the water. There will be 20 feet on each side of the basket with about 30 behind it. I was wondering if that is also going to generate some complaints.

I am excited to play this hole and event. Just let me know where and when. I also would be willing to sponsor a hole.

Rob
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it is a great idea. there is a course close to where i am from in CA. its in penn valley and i am sure its on the pdga course directory for reference. it has multiple hole placements and one of them has a mote (however you spell that) around the basket. it is a really fun hole to play. very very risky to go for it on the first shot. the water in the mote is murky and you have to go almost waist deep to feel for where your disc is if it goes in the mote
mook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, I try to stay away from hole designs where OB is near the basket where it is unfair, such as water hazards and fences if your disc goes out of bounds, there is even more punishment then OB penalty stroke (for example, your disc is gone or is hard to retrieve). Since I know of the hole which you speak, I am completely for it, especially since many scenerios of being OB would still result in a 3 score.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, the hole is in. As for a date I am looking to do it sometime around the second weekend of June. Approximately 1 month after the LWO. Rob, thanks for the offer to sponser a hole, I will contact you a little closer to the tournament. If anyone would like to play a practice round of the back nine at lower ross let me know. Not all the holes are set in stone, but pretty close.

Thanks for all the input.

Caleb Wolfe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: