7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sister City
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staatsy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the reversed 11/10 as 17/18 - just pull the 11 tee to the north, putting the trees back in play. you can still make it blind, even scoot the basket closer to the trees.

as for the new 18, you could move the tee box closer to the 17 basket (as described above) and pull the 18 basket in the "no mans land" between the switchback road.

Just throwing stuff out there from looking at the aerial. You've walked it, so you'd have a better feel.

Eric
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to walk through right now again looking closer at the back and getting the map right if possible. Thrying to find a 12 alternative while leaving 11 intact and getting to 13 without a bike hike. Might have it hased out soon. suggestions welcome.

the map isn't great at showing which ridges would make shots blind or not. feel free to paint a map up and email it to me if you can;t describe your idea.

Going to walk with eric tom afternoon if anyone is interested. and by walk I mean throw discs.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance, do you want to meet me out there? Call me at 899-8781, and I'll see if I can get up there with you.
wwashby

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I am behind the game - I missed your get together. I just posted that we get together on the Sister City Work Day fourm.
WWA
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright everyone, Tuesday, 10/6, 4:30 pm. Lance and Wendell and I are meeting at Sister City Park to go over a lay out. IF you want to have a say in it, be there.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went by Sister City at about 3pm today and here are my initial thoughts:

Negatives:

-I played 7 holes before some workers asked me to leave so they could close the gate. I had my whole bag, but only threw my firebird and putter. I was within 15ft and "birdied" every hole (cone).

-I think the first 7 holes are almost easier than ross park

-I don't think anyones disc golf game (skill level) is going to improve by playing that first part of the course.

-Do they close the gate in the winter?

-ross park was pretty much made for beginners, so we already have one beginner course in town.

Positives:

-I liked hole 1 even though it's short

-Hole 8 looks fun, if it's the hole on the corner of the dirt hill with the gap

-The park is nice

-It looks like there is a lot of space for the back 9

That being said, it's great we're getting another course in Pocatello. I am trying to keep my input to a minimum on course design, because i'm not sure if this next summer will be my last in Pocatello or not. The people that live here and are planning on living here for a long period of time should have the most authority on course design. James out
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good feedback james. 1 is easy if you're got a flick. most folks don't. I thought hole 2 was tougher than anything at ross. takes a big spike hyzer or laser beam forehand. the hyzer line lands on a slight downhill slope. # 3 is all about the putt, but the line there is no gimmie. 4 and 5 are fairly easy. 6 should be fairly tough. the big russian olive gaurds the backhand lines. forehands have to hit a gap or go bi annie. 7 should be very tough. If you can park it through the trees with a 400' forehand you are having a good round. 8 and 9 are both short but interesting. * is pretty gimmie except the prevailing winds are head/right to left and do crazy things.

I wouldn't expect anyone to average 7 down. I'd be happy to play a round with you any time to see if things stayed in place.

I didn't know the gate was closing so early. not a bad walk to start on 10 or 11 and play or go to the back lot and play from 15.

The back will be harder. lots of 400+ holes but fairly open lines to them. some OB for a few holes. Pretty fun so far.

I agree we already have a beginner course in town but it is crowded and abused. we needed a few holes scout groups could play and not get slaughtered on. there's always the back 9.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to the parks guys today. the road closure was temporary while they were patching the biggest rut in the road.

Should re-open today or tomorrow and remain open until heavier snow comes or the first of December.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew the gate was closing for the road work. I was just wondering about closing it in the winter because i thought it would suck to walk to hole 1. Sounds like its not too far of a walk to the back 9 though so thats good. Also i bet that road is slick or covered in snow all winter.

Yeah i didn't even really think about how most people would probably take different lines then the ones i took. I might have been fortunate on some of the holes too. I'm not saying i could shoot that low every time.

and yes Lance i would like to meet up with someone and "play" all of the holes. Someone that knows where they are going because i was a little confused at first.
I could meet up:
Friday before 4:00pm
Saturday after the Ace Race
Sunday anytime works
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunday would be best for me. working fri and Sat.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could swing up there for a bit on Sunday as well.
wwashby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Google Earth Reply with quote

Eric or whomever knows,
I am making a map of the possible back nine at Sister City and wanted to meausre the elevation gain and losses. I know how to aproximate the distances using Google earth but want to measure the elevation changes as well. Do yo know how to do that?
Thanks,
WWAshby
staatsy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendell -

If I remember correctly, as you move your cursor around in Google Earth, the elevation is shown at the bottom of the window. I usually just write down the pad elevation then look at the basket elevation.

Eric
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday is good. name the time. i don't care.
wwashby

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Saturday on Short Notice Reply with quote

I will be out later this afternoon, I think with my son, checking some layout options for the back nine. Razz I know it is short notice but it would be nice to play with anyone else who is interested. Any takers? What time works for you?
WWAshby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: