9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sister City
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, ya'll. I just want to head this off before any wierd rumors begin.

Lance has ordered baskets for Sister City. We have got the front 9 approved and the back nine is in progress.

The city agreed to buy all of the chains, we just need to come up with the installation materials. The club has the funds to do that, and we will get the supplies.

Here's where everyone could help:

We will be installing the baskets and tee posts on Saturday, October 17th. We'll start just after sun-up and keep going until it's done.

We will need people to bring tools for digging holes and mixing concrete with them to the work-day.

We'll chat more in depth about details at the Saturday meeting.

Everyone, here's the bottom line. We'll have a course installed at Sister City Park on October 17th.

Big thanks to all who have helped so far. Especially Lance for getting the City to go this far for us. See ya'll Saturday.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin, Eric and Marc have maps now if anyone wants to bother them when I go away for the weekend.
staatsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I'm a dork, I've measured a few of the holes using Google Earth. I'm not sure of the accuracy, but here are a few numbers for the A option:

Hole 1 240 feet long, 15 feet uphill

Hole 2 250 feet long, 4 feet down

Hole 3 255 feet long, 20 feet up

Hole 4 260 feet long, 12 feet down

Hole 5 155 feet long, 25 feet down

Hole 6 300 feet long, 13 feet up

Hole 7 495 feet long, 15 feet down

Hole 8 360 feet long, 18 feet down

Hole 9 350 feet long, 4 feet down

Hole 10 300 feet long, 30 foot down

Hole 12 790 feet long with 50+ feet up

Hole 15 340 long with 30 feet of uphill

I've updated with the front 9. I'll try to update the remaining back 9 tomorrow.

Slight concerns with #12 being so long. I think it would be awesome to have a bomber hole like that, but we might want to shorten it up to a max of 600 feet initially. There could always be alt pads/pin placements to make it longer. Remember, Bengal does have #5 and #18 that play as though they're par 4's.

Eric

Last edited by staatsy on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
English101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone, oh someone please send me a map....

mnmenglish@yahoo.com
mooch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Eric about hole 12 maybe we should look at shortening it a little mainly cause you don't want to have a bunch of holes were everybody can get 2's on then one hole were everybody is getting double digits (not saying that is going to happen to me).

Basiclly it distrupts the flow of the course when you have one hole that is really longer or is quite a bit harder than the rest look at hole 15 i think it is at soda. or how rock creek in twin was before they move some of the baskets around basiclly they had a bunch of holes were 2's then one where everybody was getting 6-8's or more. but thats my two cents take it or leave it maybe we could have it like a 600 foot hole and maybe get another hole like in the 450 range or some thing like that.
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to argue that point....not that it isn't completely.... valid but a lost disc takes a lot longer to deal with that a long hole. that hillside is pretty barren sit it might move along as quickly (or slowly) as 14, 17, 11......

I realize it is a crazy hole. probably a B placement. Fine points all.
staatsy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the front 9 in the post above. It does lay out differently than the tourney course from the summer. I like this layout better. Not as painfully short (not that my score reflected how short it was).

I like that the perimeter holes really do seem to keep discs away from the residential areas.

I'm excited for this. And not just because I could jog to the course Smile

Eric
mooch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regardless I am still looking forward to playing it. from the sounds of it the course should be pretty good.
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being club president is a sucky, burnout, thankless position-- beware Mooch. So... I wanted to thank Austin (and Matt, & Lance) for making this happen. I know when Austin became president this was one of the big goals to accomplish this season.

(I wish our other President was being as effective, what happened to my man Obama?).

Any way, may our next president (Mooch) do as good of a job.
mook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Lance. If Lance wasn't around I don't think you would have a Ross Park or a Sister City.
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

took a close look at #12 (plan A) today. Definitely sketchy. it would require at least 2 blind shots. probably more than a few lost discs and #11 is totally blind so I don't know if I can stomach 2 blind holes in a row. even if you climb back up to the road it is impossibly long and blind. if the hill was flatter it might go but there are little mini gulleys that will eat discs. I'll go back out and look for alternatives. maybe going counter clockwise around the trail. But I liked 13 and 14 a lot.

on plan A #11 would rock though. Long hyzer bomb around a corner. if you can throw a 500 foot hyzer you are there. For the rest of us you can plan on having an easy 300 foot hyzer layup then a 200 foot up shot. anything 325-475 is lost in sherwood forest. If not lost then at least you risk having a terrible out. like shorting 16 at bengal. I took a 7 today. Great risk reward.

10 is decent. reminds me of #6 bengal a bit. maybe plays 20% longer though.
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guesses at 1-9 (assuming 8 & 9 are the road holes)

1- 250 uphill about 10 ft. fairly easy forehand. don't go long or it will skip away. OK turnover shot but it will tend to catch and roll back I believe unless the power is perfect.

2- 275 downhill 7 feet. mega hyzer line plays or a laser beam through the trees. easy 3 with a gentle hyzer and a straight approach.

3- 260 uphill 6-8 feet. forehand s curve shot or a weird turnover/flip. A laser beam option exists if you can throw 250 3 feet off the ground.

4- 220 slightly downhill. total forehand, 2 routes available one wide one tight, both about 10 feet wide 100 feet off the pad. also good super low options. forehand skip will prob be my shot. A bit like Ross #1B

5- Shorty Matt hole. about 180. straight putter at the pin on a downslope. touch shot. still fun. should be a gimmie for anyone with touch. I can't get it. anything long is punished. anything short faces a death putt.

6- I thought this hole was longer but I almost threw out of the park. I'm reassesing it to 275-295. either a gap hyzer shot (ala IF eighteen road shot) or a high s-curve over the top. several other laser option exist.

7- Austin's classic is unchanged. looooong forehand or big turnover thing. Plays like 415 feet. probably measures 440 plus downhill about 10.

8- throw from the pavillion to the grass island. probably 280 downhill 10 feet. fun shot. a bit like bengal #6. maybre longer and fewer skip away chances.

9- throw from the ridge over both parts of the switchback to a pin on a peninsula. anybody shooting for 2 risks OB. easy is;nad layup option exists. 270? downhill about 20. not likely a midrange shot for me given the amount of wind evry time I've been up there.

Really fun. harder than ross but still fun for a scout troop or family. holes 8 and 9 need stairs for good access.
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 1/2 baskets just arrived. That was fast. I ordered Tuesday morning. Let's do this.
staatsy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance -

On the A layout, regarding shortening 12 - what about making #8 in to #1, #9 in to #2, then up to your #1 and playing around to where #7 ends (new number 9). Then, put the #12 tee pad close to where the Sister City tourney tee pad was, then play around, making #18 now #16, and reverse the direction of 11 and 10 (to create 17 and 1Cool. Makes new 17 forehand friendly and you end at new 18 being a 300 foot, 30-foot uphill shot....

Eric
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine numbering hole however it works best. I think Plan b has them re-numbered with #9 being the austin hole to finish the top.

Didn't quite follow all of your plan. As soon as I read "forehand friendly" my brain scrambled and I was done.

amking 10 and 11 into 17 and 18 might work but NEW 17 would be greatly diminished by the lack of obstacles once you clear the first 175 feet. 18 would still be OK. Odd place to end though. on a hillside by #2.

Isn't this just so exciting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: