5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hole 8 ROSS PARK
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onepaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Hole 8 ROSS PARK Reply with quote

Apparently some IDIOT couldnt get past the Y tree on hole 8 and decided to cut down the left branch. I talked to Brett who works for the city in the Urban Forestry and he said it was definitely cut thru until the weight of the branch broke. He then had to finish the job which left just the right side branch. He hopes tree will survive since it lost such a big part.
staatsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt and I saw this yesterday and were wondering if the club should consider moving the original pin placement a bit to the right, putting the other large tree directly in the path of tee box to chains.

It was sad to see this hole so dramatically altered in such a way. I really hope the tree survives. If not, I wonder if we could transplant one there or donate one to go in the same spot?

Eric
Noah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope the tree survives!
But in the worse case scenario, Eric has some great ideas and I would be willing to donate some time and funds to getting another tree back in there.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should just take the baskets away from ross park for a week or two and put a sign up with the reasoning. (tree branch and trash) I know that it would suck for the people that didn't do anything, but it has become apparent that the ross park a-holes are not getting the message. This behavior most likely will not stop and eventually the city might take out the course.

To the people that aren't doing anything that would be opposed to taking the baskets away from ross for a short period of time... grow a pair and go to bengal. or drive to blackfoot
mook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I was there last weekend and rather embarrassed at the look of the course. This is not the message you want to send out to the public before installing a new course. I think James' idea would definitely send a message to all the boneheads who use it as their own personal dumpster.
mooch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with James stupid people. Now I am curious on how we can get people to stop signing there name on baskets when they ace.
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting idea. My boss is gone until the 13th. I'll bring it up. I'm not opposed.
novosel14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The city can solve the trash problem any time they want.....PUT TRASH CANS IN THE PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!! The buckets dont cut it! I saw three city workers sitting down while the other mowed the grass... They are more than able to move afew trash cans around when they mow. Taking the baskets is the stupidist thing I have ever heard. Punishing the whole group for the few A holes that go play disc golf..... Oh yea great idea.
staatsy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - I like the idea of removing the baskets for a few weeks. Cover each tee sign with the explanation of why.

I would rather have the baskets gone for a few weeks than have the City pull the entire course permanently because people are inconsiderate of the park. Matt and I picked up a few broken glass bottles the other day from tee pad 3. Last thing I want to see is someone getting hurt as a result of the actions of a few.

There have to be consequences for people's actions and behaviors. It only takes one lawsuit to ruin it for everyone.

Meanwhile, people who really want to play can go to Bengal and work on their drives and long approach game.

Eric
cummmike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: trash cans Reply with quote

I think that trash can would help some. But if people aren't willing to put their trash in the bin by the shelter, they probably won't make the effort to carry it to a trash can. I think taking the baskets away for a while is a good idea as long as we communicate well the reason for removing them. It's not a perfect solution, but it is a whole lot better than doing nothing!!
novosel14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I do think something should be done. I just dont think taking the baskets for a week will stop people from littering... If people will cut a tree down they wont stop cause the baskets are gone for awhile.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think removing the baskets would send a message that would be faily powerful. The people who cut down the tree are trying to make the hole easier so that they can play it. If we take the hole out because of their actions, they can't play it at all.

I believe everyone is embarassed by the state of Ross Park. We've all spent too much time cleaning up the course.

Lance, you've got our support for moving chains out for a while, that's for sure. I think this will make a pretty big impact.
onepaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree that something needs to be done. I'm not sure if removing baskets will change much and I'm worried what effect it might have when trying to install another course in the city. I would hate to see those individuals go play Bengal and leave trash there as well.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should post something big in the announcment box and then a flyer on every hole explaining the current sentiments of the city/club and that if things do not change we may be forced to remove the course from the area.

A tone for the flyer and announcement should be nice and convey a strong need for everyone to help keep the park clean and to report any people who are seen destroying the course. Kind of like a neighborhood watch thing.

I believe that if we make it clear that this kind of behavior can not continue then we will have more grounds in the future to remove baskets or take other actions. I know it should be common sense, but maybe a little reminder will help out.

Some thoughts for the flyer may include, please put trash in buckets or in trash can in the parking lot. Please keep your empty cans with you until you reach a garbage can. Your efforts in keeping the park clean will help us all ensure we have a park to play in for many years to come.

Stuff like that might help, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for listening.

Caleb Wolfe
English101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state of Ross Park is a problem. Don't get me wrong, but I think it is a good problem to have...in some ways.

There are too many people playing who are not club members? Too many people who do not know the proper way to treat the course or know course ettiquite.

I wonder which is better no one playing, or too many? We need to find a way to educate without chasing folks away.

How do crowded parks in other areas deal with these kinds of issues? Signs would probably help, but there must be some additonal options. We can't be the only place this has happened to? As a club, in a strange way we have an opportunity here if we can just figure out the best way to handle it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: