9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Falls Disc Golf Course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjemmett

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: American Falls Disc Golf Course Reply with quote

Can anybody give me directions to the American Falls Disc Golf Course?

I remember that it was set up by John L. and that a couple of you had gone and played it, but it's not listed with PDGA and I couldn't find any more information on it besides the fact that it's full of weeds.

I would like to be able to list it with the PDGA and add it to our regional courses listing.

If anybody has the following information please let me know:
Name:
Number of Baskets/Objects and type:
Tee Pad type:
Restrooms nearby?:
Camping Nearby?:
Handicapped Accessible?:
Pay?:
Private?:
Description:
Directions:
Lattitude,Longitude to hole 1:

Thanks,
John
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Requested Information Reply with quote

If anybody has the following information please let me know:
Name: American Falls Disc Golf Course
Number of Baskets/Objects and type: 9
Tee Pad type: Dirt
Restrooms nearby?: Not that I can remember.
Camping Nearby?: No
Handicapped Accessible?: No
Pay?: No
Private?: No
Description: Fairly short and open.
Directions: Take the First American Falls exit and stay on Pocatello Ave.
Take a left onto Bannock st, then a right onto roosevelt st, the a left onto Falls and drive until you see hole 1's basket.
Lattitude,Longitude to hole 1:

John, I also have all the pictures already taken from the teepad and some from the fairway when there was a blind hole.

Caleb Wolfe
jjemmett

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Close but no chains Reply with quote

So is it in Stebbins park? I need to be able to locate it on a map, so "drive until you see hole 1" doesn't tell me enough.

Can you find the spot using http://mapper.acme.com/

It will give you the lattitude and longitude of the spot so I can put it on the website. To find Stebbins Park, I used "Park St & Falls Ave American Falls, ID" in the search box.

Thanks,
John

p.s. I would love to have access to those pictures. You can email them to me at jjemmett at gmail dot com.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Not sure Reply with quote

Since that is the only park around that area, It has to be stebbins park.

Caleb Wolfe
jjemmett

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: A S S U M E Reply with quote

Idea See, now you are assuming I knew it was in a park :-\

With that out of the way, I am adding references to the course now.

Thanks,
John

"Don't hate me because I am beautiful"
jjemmett

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by the course over the weekend. I was surprised at how well it looked. I took some pictures of the signs...

But for some reason I can't post them here.

I'll see about fixing that little problem.

John
mook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it actually is a park, half of the course is in a weed infested gully next to the freeway.
jjemmett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have played all of the holes. I didn't see the gully when I stopped by there.
fiya79

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: American falls is not that bad Reply with quote

I don't know why I had the impression that American Falls was a terrible course. But I finally made it there to throw today and I enjoyed it a lot. Perhaps it was the low expectations. The signs were great and clear. the tees were grass in the park and dirt in the gully with 4X4's to designate the front and the width most of the time. Some may have been missing but it seemed obvious where to throw from. The baskets are home made and different. the chains are a littel rusty and seem narrow- but nmaybe because the baskets were super wide. the actual basket portion looked big enough to curl up in and take a nap. I still can't sink a put though. The first two holes are in the park and are about 300 feet. It is not totally wide open but you can huck it. 3-7 are shorter and in a gully but I enjoyed them because there is OB road nearby, and a vicious steep gully in parts of it. The weeds weren't that bad but a terrible throw took some looking. the holes were mostly interesting and took some control but overall the course favored right hand back hand. It would take about 20 minutes to replay the course and I would try to play it at least twice when I go again. Here's a breakdown according to my memory.

1- 299 feet. downhill just a bit. perfect RHBH with some room for error. No forehand shot IMO
2- 270? feet. uphill just a bit. goob RHBH again road is fairly tight on the right so the disc must come back or be out. possible RHFH anhyzer.
3- 150? feet. level over a gully. no attractive backhand option for me. big hyzer forehand over the road. pin is under a russian olive tree and is hard to putt from several directions. I couldn't BH anhyzer far enough out and back to make it. Had to forehand an overstable.
4- 270? feet straight shot up somewhat uphill, no arial obstacles but a thin strip of grass next to a road, nasty gully to the right makes precision a premium. big sages around the hole.
5-205 feet way downhill, fairly blind. you throw from the lip of the gully into the gully, only a RHBH makes much sense. A putter can cover the ground but do not overthrow because another russian olive prevents putting back easily.
6- 240? feet downhill. two options here a forehand through a window or a fairly dramatic hyzer BH around some trees. again an overdrive makes putting back an issue.
7- 260? feet uphill. fromt he bottom of the gully throw up onto a shelf. the left has a decent gully obstacle.
8- 300? feet downhill. back in the park again the hole can be reached by a great s curve RHBH, a big hyzer BH , a roller or some other shots but doesn't have a ton of room for error anywhere. the road is to the right, trees to the left.
9- 266 feet. the sign said 266 but I just couldn't get there in 1. I emptied the bag and still had no birdie putt. the hole is all BH, not my strength. the hole is protected by an overhanging tree so even a decent drive can get rejected. a roller is out for me because of the slopes.

I am a nerd
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Lance! I really enjoyed your experience. Keep us updated on the rest of your trip.
disglfr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the park for my first time just a couple weeks ago. Brad D. was with me and we both liked it lots.

There's a nice geocache in the area too, just a half block away. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: