Disc
Golf
Idaho!
header image
Home
FAQs
Contact Us
Links
Courses
Events Calendar
October 2014
S M T W T F S
282930 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Town Hall Meeting Forum
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wazowski08



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 621

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Town Hall Meeting Forum Reply with quote

This thread is for me to Propagandize and answer any questions folks may have in regards to what my plans are if elected to lead the club next year.

Answering a few questions off the bat:

I would like to see the club create more opportunities to raise funds for course development in the area. Course opportunities like Sister City Park and Mink Creek. To do this, we will likely hold a couple of odd tourneys in the area as well as any other odd-ball ideas that we can think up.

I will get the ball rolling on a club sanctioned Bag Tag Challenge for 2009. Specifics to follow later, but in essence, half the money raised will go to course development and community involvement.

I would like to see the SIMS continue. In order to do this, we will have to all step up. I believe the job of the President is not to run tourneys, but to encourage and promote the growth of the sport and the club in tournament play. I would encourage folks interested in being TD's or organizers to try to run a SIMS event.

I would like to work ith local disc vendors so that the club disc sales are not so much of a direct competition. The club should partner with these vendors and work to encourage competitive business in disc and equipment sales.

Any questions anyone may have, please post them here and I'll do my best to ansewr them. Thank you all.

Austin Pettit
_________________
God is happiest when His children are at play, so PLAY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fiya79



Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Posts: 746
Location: Pokytella

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: taxes and fees Reply with quote

I am a middling class golfer thinking about moving up to the open division. Since I did not have significant earnings in 2008 I have paid relatively few taxes and club fees.
I plan to win every open event offered in 2009 and have cash earning in the hundreds of dollars.
How would your platform change my bottom line? What fee changes would be associated with your proposals?

Sincerely Joe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wazowski08



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 621

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the club will not be collecting taxes based on winning percentage or income, the bottom line of middle class winnings should not change at all. Now, winning every event would come with some sort of luxury tax. So be advised.

To further illustrate my plan, I would like to tell you a story of a young disc golfer I met in Pocatello. He was worried about losing his Wasp in the woods out at Bengal. He wanted to know what I was going to do to prevent him from losing his discs up there. I told him not to throw any discs into the woods, or stop playing Bengal.

Although this story lacks any relevance, it also lacks truth. Vote for me.
_________________
God is happiest when His children are at play, so PLAY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThievingMagpie



Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 127

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin, if you were president, what would about distance dispartity? Could there be assistance from the club?

I suggest that every person who throws above 300 feet be charged a "distance tax" of 15 feet. Those who throw above 400 feet would be charged 30 feet. The extra distance could be redistributed amongst the lesser gifted players. If you include this policy in your platform, I'd be willing to support your candidacy.

I'm also concerned about cougars on the courses. Can we get a guarantee that you will irradicate/relocate all cougars on the courses? Who will you put on cougar patrol? What kind of cougar killing/relocating experience have they had in the past? I don't just want some cronny in the job who's never skinned a cat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wazowski08



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 621

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As President, I cannot vow to protect the minority over the majority. As those of us who throw over 300 feet generally miss our putts, thsoe of you who throw less than 300 feet should not feel threatened. I will never tax anyone (except Lance) for playing too well.

As for Cougars, I will pass around a sign-up sheet for anyone interested in patrolling the course. As this sheet will almost certainly come back empty, I would explore other avenues. As I am not an authorized Fish and Game officer, I cannot do anything to move said cougars. So that leaves me with one option.

Stop kicking cougars.

If you don't kick them in the side, they won't try to bite you.

The sheer fact that I have taken the time to respond to these questions in great detail is indicative of the amount of time and energy I am willing to commit to club goings-on. Vote for me.
_________________
God is happiest when His children are at play, so PLAY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fiya79



Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Posts: 746
Location: Pokytella

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, cougars as in big wild flesh eating cats. I was thinking the other kind of cougars and was trying to figure out why Casey was experiencing such profound problems with them.

On another election note I think the recent forum posts have shown that there are a number of folks that are suffering from long term injuries that are disc golf related. What kind of health care plan do you propose and how are we going to pay for it?

I also would like to know what kind of stimulus package the new president would authorize for my failing 'putt making factory'. business has been bad in the 15-30 foot market and has almost dropped to zero in the 40-50 foot market segment. Only the 10 foot an in range has been seeing any kind of steady numbers.
_________________
Look at the size of that pill, I can't swallow that.
Good news everybody! it's a suppository.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wazowski08



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 621

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a firm believer in government regulation of health care or business. Frankly, the only reason the club sould propogate a health plan is if we mandate that every member have one. If you'd like me to provide a health plan option for members, then here it is:

Monthly fee = $10
No charge for medical services administered by me or my LPN student wife. However, be warned, my medical care is relatively simple. If your arm hurts, use the other one or stop crying. If you break a bone, go home and rest until it stops hurting. If your sick, I won't care.

Anyone who would like to pay me $10 a month for this amazing benefits package can catch me at the club meeting and I will gladly set you up.

The stimulus package thing. Lance, I will never give you any stimulus package to improve your putting in order for you to beat me more soundly. If you can't make your putt factory produce, then I guess it's going under so that a stronger putt factory can take over the market. (Darwinism in business. Get stronger or get eaten.)

Anyone who has any other creative questions can post here. I know Lance is a post-Bully, and that most of you are likely enjoying this little banter of a thread, but I know some of you have some really interesteing questions. Vote for me.

Austin
_________________
God is happiest when His children are at play, so PLAY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pole vaulter



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 461

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we still thinking of changing the club name?

Would we also change the website? seeing how it is PVDGC.org

Are we going to work out some type of logo? Shirts, hats, sign for tournaments the club hosts.

How much are we thinking of raising the club fee? Does that cost include the bag tag or will it be separate? If the cost is separate can you get a bag tag without being a club member?

Just some stuff i was wondering about other than Lance's putting game
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Noah



Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What plans do you have for peace treaties, Homeland defense and invasions of the middle east?

As commented before in a previous thread, will you make proposals to Innova and Disccraft for disc name changes? EX: "The Nipple, MiniVan and Nursing Home Smell."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
novosel14



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Posts: 258
Location: Pocatello ID

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pole vaulter.... Thanks fo asking a real question! This is all good fun Im sure, but I am worried about the club. Brandon does so much as the Prez and the local TD. I know you said that you didnt want to be a TD so.......

This post is funny to read but lets get serious for a second!
What are you going to do to help the club as Brandon has in the past? Is the SIMS done? Why do you want to be the PREZ and not a TD? Who will step up to run the tornys? Will TD be another elected position?

The club is in trouble with out our leader Brandon. I am worried about the future of Disc Golf in South East Idaho!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wazowski08



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 621

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, this is going to be a huge post, since I have something like a dozen questions to answer.

1) Club fees will go up, as previously proposed. How much will have to be discussed a little further before a decision is made. This is something I would like the Treasurer to be involved with when they are elected so together, we can propose a change.

2) I have always supported a name change. If you guys want me to be President, I will bring the top four or five names from the thread Mook ran a while ago to a club meeting and we can vote as a club on that.

3) I don't think changing the website should be endeavoured now. I think a new name would be cosmetic in nature. It'd be something like "Potato Rollers, a Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club." This would mean we could all go as Potato Rollers, but the meat of the name is unchanged. I can explain this more in person at the winter meeting.

4) I would love to see us as a club get a logo and some merchandise. That is something I will explore after the winter meeting, but before the Spring meeting. Again, explaining this in great detail on a thread is not easy, so bring your questions to the meeting Dec 17th

5) The Bag Tag fees and such have not even been close to hashed out yet. That whole event is in planning still, but I will work with the elected Treasurer to get that plan ironed out and finished.

6) As far as tourneys go, I will say it again. I don't think it is the president's job to run and organize tourneys. I would be willing to organize and facilitate tournaments. But, I am not going to run every SIMS event and fundraiser and bag tag and league. It is time for the club members to assist in running some events. Again, I will help organize and facilitate (sponsors, courses, etc.), but actually running the tourney will need to be a volunteer or two.

7) TD is Tournament Director. Tourneys are run separately from the club. TD is not an elected position. This year, TD's included Mook, Kerry, Mr. Locke. Each tournament will have it's own TD. I don't know who is going to step up to run these events. The club was spoiled in Mook when he was both TD and Prez. These two jobs are designed to be separate unless the candidates want to do both, which Mook did.

I know many of you can and want to run tourneys. I know many of you want to play in tourneys. I am offering my assistance in your pusuit of running these events. I encourage interested people to run a tourney. You won't be doing it alone. If you're worried about the sport's future in Idaho, let me do something about it. My job as president will be to further the sport of disc golf in Southeast Idaho through community outreach, sponsorship, and tournament involvement. Specifics to that duty will come up on an individual basis.

The last thing I want to say in this particular post is, this is a GAME we all play. Never let politics and agendas interfere with that. I will do my absolute best to do nothing that jeopardizes the game we play by adding unneeded hassles like politics and personal agendas.

Austin
_________________
God is happiest when His children are at play, so PLAY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Noah



Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all who read this post:
Remember, As the club grows, struggles and over-comes, we are all in this together! With or without a President, TD or Financial Officer. In one way or another we are ALL part of the solution! Mook set a great example! As many have stated, we all want to achive and create more on-top of where Mook left off. Unity is a great place to start!
So as Austin and others step up to be the front runners of the club, they all should know we are behind them! Supporting them! And we are all here to help grow the Sport. Whether it is playing with people you have never played with before or gathering sponsors and setting examples to our community!
So with that said, I am here to Help, Support and Grow the Sport!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mook



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Posts: 798

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some departing thoughts. Yes, this is a game, but I know I am not the only one passionate about this sport. Its a very real and pleasurable part of my life. I can tell you that the club has never been successful without the support of its club members. Disc golf in Southeast Idaho goes much deeper than Mook. I don't think that any one person would or could do as much as I have done and given this last year, but I know that a club as a whole can pick up all the piece's I leave behind.

It was never mine nor the club's purpose or goal to have one person run everything. Nor do I believe that its the President's job to run TD's, but if you are not running them, you better be delegating some club members who will. Most of you who have known me know that I was a TD 1st and President 2nd. I know that Austin will not stand aside while others do all the work. I've known him for too long to believe that.

If you read throughout the forums in past you will find invitations by me for anyone to come and assist me at a tournament and "learn the ropes". I have the upmost confidence from the club members that the SIMS will continue on and will be run by many different members. That will be a fulfillment of my goal. Anyone who is willing to run an event whether it be a SIMS events, Ace race, one disc, pdga, doubles, or whatever will have the support of the club. They will also have my support. I would be glad to offer my assistance to any event I can attend and would be glad to give you the TD excel file I have created. All you have to do is enter the names of the registrants and it does the rest for you.

My last piece of advice is, please do not bite more than you can chew. The bag tags, logos, name change, web changes, course installments, and any other increased club benefits will come in time. Take it one step at a time.

What a great opportunity it is NOW to become a PVDGC President with all the players and support we have NOW. You don't have to give it the time that I gave. Remember, for the last 6 months I haven't had a job! You also have club members willing to help out 1000% more now than I did on day 1. I urge you that if you are concerned about the club in 2009, get involved.

I look forward to seeing you all at the meeting!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pole vaulter



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 461

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's surprising to me that a forum topic developed for Austin to...

"Propagandize and answer any questions folks may have in regards to what my plans are if elected to lead the club next year."

...has become a joke. I'm with Novosel "worried about the club." I hope we have a good treasurer next year because it sounds like they will be responsible for a lot. The answers to all of my questions sounded like: i'll discuss that with the treasurer, we'll work that out later, someone else will TD. 2009, next year is only a little over a month away. When are we going to hash all this out?You say you'll work on promoting the sport and getting sponsership, but when that time comes are you going to pawn that off too?

I've thought about being an officer, but i'm not getting involved because i'm not sure if i will be here this summer. and after reading this "Hilarious" forum, i'm not sure if i even want to be part of the club next year. Going solo is starting to look better and better to me. I'm afraid the club is heading the direction of this forum. From semi serious to a joke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wazowski08



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 621

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when know when banter and laughter meant that we as a club somehow became inept. We laugh and joke about things because that is who most of us are. The reason Lance was posting fun questions and I was answering was because NO ONE ELSE was posting anything. If you wanted serious questions answered before the jokes started flying, you should have posted something. I don't mean to be too sharp here, but this is something that needs to be said.

Mook and Noah are right. WE ALL NEED TO STEP UP AND BE A PART OF THIS CLUB THIS SEASON. I know we will. The President and Treasurer together are the lead team in this club. I believe that two heads are better than one. Mook and Lance worked together on a lot of things for the club. That is what the Treasurer and I will do. So yes, if you want to be Treasurer, be ready to lead. Because I will NEED the help. And so will the club.

In closing, I don't know all the answers to all of your questions. What I have given you thus far (with the exception of Lance's and Mr. Locke's questions) have been my honest answers. I don't know the details now. I will have a lot of plans by the time the Club meeting in December happens. If you'd like me to be president, that is where I can speak. As I said before, posting on an internet website about all the details of my plan would be incredibly difficult. At the meeting, I promise, I will have more details for you about events and fees that I would propose.

Mark, your note is well received. I believe a Hummer or a truck like yours would suffice for a secure motorcade. I'll leave that to you to figure out the funding.

Austin
_________________
God is happiest when His children are at play, so PLAY.


Last edited by Wazowski08 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Please help support the sport of disc golf in southeast Idaho.