7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PDGA Rating System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: PDGA Rating System Reply with quote

I was curious about how the PDGA produces your player rating? I haven't found a good site that describes how they come up with it.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aksed for it:

in the beginning there was nothing. then the gods of the PDGA looked down and created the player rating system. On the first day they declared Ken Climo to be a 1000 rated player. On the second day the declared that each stroke is worth 10 points. on the third day you played the same course as Kenny and became a 500 rated played. So it is written so it is done.

Actually I think there is an old thread about this somewhere. It is rather complicated but not toally out of comprehension.
Noah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha! It was a dumb question that for some stupid reason i kept thinging about. Thanks for putting it out of my beginner little head!
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

I didn't mean to dissuade you. It just isn't easily summarized.

at a tournament everybody that is rated has their scores put into a spreadsheet formula. it produces some numbers which tell how hard or easy the course was playing that day.

example bengal ridge tomorrow
caleb 1000 rated player-- score 50
Brandon 900 rated player-- score 55
lance 800 rated player-- score 60
Noah- unkown rating- score 65

so from this you can average the scores versus rating and get your rating for that round of .....700 or so. round numbers with players shooting their rating makes it easy.

second example
same scores for brandon and caleb 900&1000. I am rated 800 still but shoot a 50. You are rated 700 and shoot your expected 65. My player rating would go up next time. it is an average of your last year of rounds and comes out 4 times a year, I think.
so if you are improving your rating will go up because you will start to shoot the same score as your formerly more skilled bretheren.

The math gets harder but on a par 54 course each stroke USUALLY works out to 10 pints. on a harder course it works out to fewer 7-8 perhaps. At blackfoot each stroke is worth about 15 points. why? almost everyone is going to get a good score on hole 1&2. advanced and open all ecxpect to bird. a good number of intermediates as well. but you can't really expect to do better than a 2 so all the other holes are 'worth more' because the difference between players on easy courses is slight.

I could go on and on...but.... play a sanctioned tournament, get a rating, try to improve.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the system is pretty complicated. We like to use a black box theory in that your stats go into a black box, and out pops your rating. Sometimes, you can play really well in your division and be rated as a touring pro (Mark).
cummmike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: check out this website Reply with quote

Here is a website that keeps track of player ratings and Mark is not just number one in the state.....He is number two in the nation for Amatuers! Very Happy pretty funny

http://www.1000rated.com/high-ams/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: