6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finger Tip Pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkase

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Finger Tip Pain Reply with quote

O.K. I know this might seem to be an odd question, but as I painfully type this mesage I am wondering is others experience this. When I go out to a field and throw for distance, I end up with an extremely painful middle finger (release finger). I can see where I have broken blood vessels underneath the skin. This also comes with a thick callus.

I can't help but wonder if my grip is a bit off. This is not something that I have heard about before. How much disc speed is robbed from my fingers hagning on to the disc like this. The most painful throws are the ones that I hear the snap of my fingers (I am assuming this is good).

Thoughts?
fiya79

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: i'LL BITE Reply with quote

well here's a rambling half answer from a limited perspective from a mediocre player. AKA the gospel truth.

everybody has a different snap finger, or the last finger off the disc as it goes flinging and spinning away. I believe you found your snap finger. Kerry's is the ring finger I think. Mine is the middle too.

When I first started throwing for distance I had some of the same problems, but more widespread. I felt like my hand was getting a huge rush of blood pressure and it would hurt for about 2 days, throb really. but after a few moths my body seemed to adjust and get over it. my hand rarely hurts now.

But the finger under a callus? this seems like a more focused and potentially bad problem. the blood blister is bad news too. As I understand it blood blisters form when the underlying capelaries burst under pressure and bleed out into the surrounding areas, but never reach the surface because there is no break or cut. so some damage is being done. but how would you squash it bad enough to do repeated injury using only 175 grams (or less?) high speed seems to be the obvious choice. but since you aren't placing your finger between a solid object and a moving disc I have to assume you are generating quite good arm speed/snap.

I just don't know though. Do you tend to flip discs others don't? firebrd is never enough--- or do you have trouble turning over normally stable discs? i.e. is a roadrunner you go-to headwind disc.

If you have drastically unusual spin I would say the technique is the culprit.
But if an orc is an orc to you I would guess you are genetically inferior. No really I have no idea what to do for this. throw softer shots and refine techniqe while you heal and build back up hoping your body adjusts would be my approach. But I'm the guy that stricty enforces the 8 stitch rule at our house.
tkase

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Finger Tip Pain Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that my grip is a two finger grip. I suppose that I'll have to experiment with a four finger power grip.

Thanks Lance,

TK
mook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the power grip (all fingers and thumb gripping) and have never had pain.
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Troy, I feel your pain. Yeah, I've had this problem before and just ignored it. I didn't think that it could be a byproduct of my poor technique.

But Lance's post got me thinking... My grip point finger is my pointer finger (using a power grip). Could that have anything to do with my chronic nose up problem with the high speed (Wraith/Destroyer) discs?
tkase

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Technique Problem Reply with quote

So I went out at lunch today and threw a few. Threw for about 30 minutes with no finger tip pain. I used the four finger power grip with using the pinky finger in conjunction with the thumb to get the angle of the disc correct. For now, the disc doesn't seem to be ripping out of any one finger, but three and I know that isn't going to work.

This seemed to add a bunch of spin to the disc. I lost a bit of velocity, but I'm sure that will come back. On the positive note, I was still able to throw at my max D (300'-310')within about 10 throws. As a result of the increased spin, discs were turning over pretty easily.

This thread seams to be turning into a grip thread.

My new questions have to do with pressure points. Should I be pinching the disc between thumb and chosen rip finger or should all fingers be pressing against them rim and towards base of the thumb? A lot of the internet discussions are not clear on this.

I throw often at lunch at Bartz Field if anyone wants to join me. I am happy to go elsewhere. A lot could be learned by some informal distance clinics or casual meetings maybe this fall.
ScottW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the Zoo Town Open in Missoula back in May I got to watch Feldberg give one of the GCF club members a one-on-one lesson about a whole bunch of stuff. One of the things that I remember him talking about most was grip. He, as well as just about every other touring Pro throws with the 4 finger power grip. What really stood out to me though was how he gripped the top of the disc with his thumb. The only part of his thumb that contacts the top of the disc is the very tip, thus allowing a very strong point of contact between the thumb and the index and middle fingers below. I used to lay my whole thumb down on the top of the disc along the border of the flight plate and the rim but now just have contact with my thumb tip and this has helped.

I tend to not have too much of an issue with finger pain but I do get a callus on the inside tip of my right ring finger. I think that is mostly due to the fact that I have small hands so my ring finger and pinky can't quite hook underneath the disc as would be preferred.

I guess my opinion with the blisters is if it hurts don't do it. Your two-finger grip is only working so well plus it is leading to blood blisters. I would say go with the 4 finger grip with more thumb tip pressure and work with it. It might end up being one step back that could lead to two steps forward.
tkase

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Grips Reply with quote

Thanks. I appreciate the specifics on the grip. My hands are small enough too that I have a hard time getting my pinky finger against the rim without messing up the disc angle. I will try using my thumb more to pinch. I think that I will have to end up witha 3 1/2 finger power grip.

On a side note, I will be in Missoula during Thanksgiving week and would like to get in a round with you if you are in town.

Troy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: