6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New disc reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: New disc reviews Reply with quote

since the club got a bunch of new discs in I though I would review some of the ones i've tried. Yall can post your favorite/least favorite discs here too.
staatsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That being said, let's keep the Roc/Buzzz debate to a minimum - seems like a total personal pref.

I'm starting to really like my Star Cro for approach shots - it keeps a good hyzer line (RHBH) and sits down quite nicely.

After playing 18 at Bengal with James last week, I'm also becoming more and more a fan of my Star Destroyer. I picked up on a couple of lines on the back 9 I never tried before. The Destroyer just goes and goes and goes.

Eric
mook

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cro is in my bag as well for two reasons, hole #6 and #15 at Bengal. My putter isn't long enough and my Roc is too long so the Cro slows it down for me.
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: FORCE Reply with quote

Discraft Force-

I put off buying this guy for a while since I've been throwing wraiths pretty good and my destroyer wasn't an upgrade for me. At the IF monthly I got one at lunch just because. It is a 174 bright green ESP. I only threw it a couple of time during the round because it was so calm and I really only though I'd break it out into a slight headwind (which turns over wraiths and destroyers easily. but I threw it after the rounds and after doubles and was very impressed.

On 15 coming down the hill it just bombed. i threw it pretty hard, but not unusually hard, and slightly anhyzer. it held a straight line until the magic 360' tree, then held some more. it just flew like a dart and faded at well over 400' to land I'm guessing 430' out. this is by far the longest throw I've had on this hole with any disc in any conditions. I am lucky to throw a wraith 390 and my destroyer is actually shorter. I can occasionally throw about as far when the wind is right- but it is always 900 yards right of the basket on 17 fairway.

I would say that particular throw had the mythical glide that is always advertised and touted, but never really achived in discs of heavier weights. I kept expecting it to fade out, but it just kept going but without a huge s-curve turn and fade. I would say the total left to right flight was less than 30'.

On shorter throws the flight was similar to a new champ starfire. steady and stable, but not piggy stable. I really wouldn't throw it on holes less than 320' because I'm not dialed in with it yet. It seems to really want to go hard, fast and flat. thrown less than hard it has a pretty stable finish.

overall- what I thought the destroyer was going to be, high speed stable, some fade at the end, glide prone and fast.

Destroyer is out of the bag (turns over in the wind, not super long anyway). Starfire may soon follow (I'm not really dialed in yet anyhow). Long live the Force. I hope it stands up to more scrutiny and stays stable for a good while.
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: flx plastic Reply with quote

not really a disc- but FLX plastic.

FLX is awesome for a lot of things. it hold up like champ, but just sticks to the ground. It is my new go-to for upshots because I can throw hard enough to go for it and not skip away.

When it gets cold it is still grippy and stable. I'm sold. and so is the bulk of the FLX club stock, which we had a ton of.

When I want a little more d or a skip I'll stick to champ/Z when I'm going fo it I'll reach for FLX.

Haven't had a FLX driver yet. seems cool though. Drew?
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Wasp Reply with quote

Austin is the authority here on the wasp but just in case-

I bought a wasp for headwind midrange shots and 'must not turn over' situations. It is a buzzz with a large bottom bead.

I hate it. I can't throw beaded discs. It is short, just past my putter, and not really reliable in the timing of the fade. I may leave it in the bag for windy days but I might as well carry a roc. GASP.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Lance, you kind of have to get used to the bead. That is actually the reason that I can't get a Buzz to work for me is that it has no bead.

Anyway, I wanted to do some chatting about a couple of new discs I've tried recently.

First, I used to be a diehard Monster fannatic. Every problem on the course could be solved by the Monster. After losing four of them in about two years, my wife bought me a Star Max to help remedy the pain. Three days later, I bought another Max. These bad boys are fast and overstable. Perfectly predictable every throw. They're not going to turn and they are going to fade hard. Love that about discs.

Second, I have always been a proponent of Elite-Z Wasps, but Lance forced my hand into buying an ESP Wasp this last weekend. I bought it as a back-up to my Z-Wasp, but it is useful in it's own way. The gummier plastic is a little more stable and it sticks harder, much like Lance's Flex plastic. This little disc definately has a place in my bag for finesse approaches and high risk mids. I may have to move up to FLEX Wasp next, if they've got them.

Austin
staatsy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Putt / approach Reply with quote

The thing looks goofy, but I'm starting to like my Banger GT. It's nice for shorter approaches and longer putts. It's nice and stable, leaning slightly overstable. It's great for big, floaty backhand shots that when released with some anhyzer, will float and fade back predictably. Might have to look in to a soft Banger. Do we have any in stock?

Eric
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innova is releasing a new speed 10 understable disc: the Monarch (even more understable than the Beast). It's not on the Innova website yet, but this is copied from discgolfcenter.com:

Description
Best Choice for: Good first driver, roller disc, tailwind driver, narrow woods driver, downhill distance, long turnover drives for more powerful players.

About the Monarch: The Monarch is a long-range distance driver with lots of glide. It makes an excellent finesse driver or long range roller. Power throwers can use this disc for long turnover shots and rollers. Less powerful throwers can use this disc for long, straight shots or low tunnel shots. Best Distance Driver for turnover shots. (hide)

Difficulty 3
Speed 10
Glide 5
High Speed Stability -4
Low Speed Stability 1

Anyone see this replacing their Roadrunner?
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

that's exactly what i thought. I have seen it called a 'faster' roadrunner. I will order some in the next order, though that may be a while.
ScottW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was finally able to get my hands on one of these new Monarchs when I was down at La Mirada DGC this past weekend. I was originally of the mindset that I may want one so I could have an even more understable version of the Sidewinder which I love and perhaps become better at throwing rollers, I also thought it would be a good disc for my wife. After feeling one though I will be sticking with the Sidewinder for sure. It has a huge groove cut out of the bottom side of the rim - think of a thumbtrack on the underside of the rim, basically a big "V" shaped cut out. The guy at the La Mirada Pro Shop was saying that in order to get the 10 speed but still have it be understable they needed to take weight off the rim and put it on the flight plate so they took a chunk out of the rim and the result is a disc that feels horrible in my opinion, I really don't like the feel of it and neither did my wife. We will stick with our Sidewinders, though some may like it.
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Destroyer Champ (CFR) Reply with quote

A couple people were looking for champ destroyers. Here are some online...

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=287&PPQT1=39

$25.
What does Brad have his at?
novosel14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause it is a Xout I got mine for around $12. He will put the other 2 on auction
ScottW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: CFR Destroyers Reply with quote

I am pretty sure my dad still has some left over CFR Champion Destroyers from the Farragut Open tournament that he ran back in April if any of you are interested. If so let me know and I will see what he might be willing to part with them for. I know he has them set aside right now because he is thinking of putting them up on e-Bay. He also has some CFR STAR Classic Rocs from that tourney too that he is clearancing out for $11 if anyone is interested.
mook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....just ordered my 167g Champ Destroyer off of sunking disc sports for 19.99. Its a couple bucks more than star plastic at Brads, but its not X-outs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: