7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Pocatello Course?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: New Pocatello Course? Reply with quote

Well, I thought I would start an official post on this because Ross Park is tee signs away from being completed.

I walked through a couple of areas I think would be great for disc golf in Pocatello. I think Sister City would be OK, but I am not very excited about it.

I know I turned down North City Park, but they are making big changes there. They have made some huge man made canals to offset flooding and there is a bridge to the other side of the river brings in mega space for a course....plus there is water danger which I love. I think 18 holes should be seriously looked at here.

If not there, then there is 9-18 hole possibilty at the Pacific Recycling nature area. It is on the west side of the north main extension right before you go underneath the railroad. I walked back there too. It has tall tall grass that needs to be managed but it is up against the river too and would suit well for a course.

Maybe Lance knows more about these areas than I do? What do you guys think. Anybody want to go look at it with me?
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: unsure Reply with quote

I am really unsure about ownership over there. Things are murky with the greenway having right of way and easements and the city having easements but not ownership....and so on. but it is an underutilized area for sure. If I was 14 and stole pot from my parents I would be there in a second.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Here's the word Reply with quote

The official word on a new course is: there is not enough money left this year out of any parks budget. The parks super and P&R director are both all in favor of a new course. They are leaning toards sister city park because of the location near a huge neighborhood and underuse of the park combined with ample parking. 18 holes seems fine too. I brough up sacajawea park and they weren't resistant. At this point it is a money thing. "If they club could sell sponsorships we could build it right now" is a pretty direct quote.

I think they will pretty much let us have the run of the parks we have chosen. if some crazy dude donated $10,000 wer could have 4 courses in town!

so if someone wants to take up the cause to area businesses we can have a course soon.

I just don't have time to do this. 18 baskets cost $5400 plus shipping. I think a good fund raising tournament could raise quite a bit of money if people know where the cash is going. Besides..I'll bet if the club approached the city with half the other half would be forthcomning fairly quick.
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tournament I am throwing in October is a club fundraiser, with the purpose to provide seed money for some new courses. I just decided to do this off the top of my head, and didn't really consult the club beforehand.

I would be happy to meet with other people set up a sponsership committee to try and scrounge up enough money to buy baskets, etc. Off the top of my head, things I would need to know are...

1 What are my price points for sponserhip?

2 What are the costs associated with putting in a new course

3 What kind of traffic uses the local courses? Does the city have any data on how many people use Ross park?

4 Would the city be willing to sell sponsorship signs at an already popular park (Ross) with the idea of using the money towards a new course?

5 Are there any existing funding streams that could be utilized? (Edge?) and how do we access them?

Anyway, anyone else interested in getting together over lunch some time next week to talk about all this?

--Casey
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: great Reply with quote

sounds good.

I have some info.

ross park holes were/are $200 this gets you a sign on the tee box under the map for 5 years (the life expentancy of the printed signs) This may be a little low, but seemed OK at the time.

I think $200-300 is OK $250 per hole seems just right

Ross park sees over 300 rounds on a busy day. there is no real way to track monthly or annual uses but it has to be in the ten thousand plus range. (500 to mook alone) It has to be consistently busy to WEAR OUT THE GRASS in a 10' circle around every basket and leave walkways in between.

I took a census once for about an hour and a half and stopped at 125 people

cost per hole:
$275 for baskets
$15 per hole for concrete (pins+signs)
brick are free
frames are about $20 each
posts- $9
signs- $29

about $330 per hole

Yes- sell ross sponsorships by all means- or at least collect on the old promises.

the rock church- $200
randy nordquist- $200
A few other disc guys..

I'm not sure about edge, I doubt that would apply, but maybe.
I have been looking for better basket deals than innova, strike out so far. anybody else?
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: sponsorships and fundraising Reply with quote

After the USDGC, I'd be willing to sit down with anyone interested and talk about fundraising and sponsorships for course development. I've designed and built 14 courses in the past 8 years, all but one of which required community sponsorships and fundraising at some level. The municipality or land manager had some stake, but a fair portion of the funding came from hole sponsorships or other fundraising. I've seen what works and what doesn't work, and have developed significant partnerships that I can leverage to make things work.

I'm not interested, personally, in getting involved in design and construction of a community course in Pocatello. The club has enough people interested to make it happen. But I am willing to share my experience and partnerships to help make it happen.

I'm embarking on a ~2-3 year project to build a series courses for a community that will result in a total of 54 holes, including what could be a gold level (championship) course, and will be an all consuming project. Moab and Soda Springs are but a warm-up for this.

As for involving EDGE, I have some thoughts on how I can leverage that program to help make some things happen for Pocatello. Lance, give me a call on my cell (208) 680-6620, and we can discuss. I'll be in Boise this coming week, at a national state parks conference, and in South Dakota the week after on a course design project, but my phone is always with me.

BTW-Every basket manufacturer (at least the major ones) have the same low price point for their top end targets. Their purpose for selling baskets is not to make money on them, but to get courses in the ground, so that people will play disc golf, and then buy more discs. If you build it, they will buy.

Take care,

jon
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: nothing really Reply with quote

I don't really have anything to post- just wanted to dominate the message boards in a complete way. If you cna't dominate on the course become a cyber bully I always say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: