9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else throw a Shark?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staatsy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Anyone else throw a Shark? Reply with quote

Just curious, does anyone else out there throw a Shark for approaches/short drives? I've recently re-discovered my Shark and throw it well. Also, I've been liking the Star Cro I picked up a bit ago for approaches.

I know quite a few folks carry a Roc - I must be one of the few that doesn't. Ah well.

What does everyone out there like for mid-range approach shots?

Eric
fiya79

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: all buzzz Reply with quote

all buzzz all the time.
mckhendry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to throw Sharks. It flies exactly like a Roc. Only difference is that there is no bead on the bottom, so it's more of a preference of how it feels in your hand.

However now I only throw Rocs. I find there's a larger selection of dyed Rocs versus Sharks when I'm out shopping for new discs. I also find that I don't get as many funny looks or slanderous comments since I switched from Sharks to Rocs. Trust me, in a tournament when I'm trying to focus on my game, that makes all the difference.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mckhendry,

I didn't know you were still alive. Are you playing anymore?
Send me a PM and give me your phone number so i can call you.

later,

Caleb Wolfe
wwashby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: first disc I bought Reply with quote

I got a shark as my first disc and so for sentimental reasons I am still carrying it. However I have never really figured it out. I have seen that I can throw it for long approaches in a little bit of hyzer and let it flip up then I get the flight I am looking for. The problem I have had with it is turning it over to much. I have turned to a Spider to make most of my approach shots. It seems very versatile and can be thrown hyzer or anhyzer. The other problem that I have had with the shark is I did not think that I would play so much in the dark and my shark is not translucent enough to put a light on it so it stays in my bag a lot. But I do throw it when I throw my whole bag after those horrible shots. Laughing
Wendell
mook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shark is going to be a great disc for approaches as it flies right where you send it. The problem is when put too much power on it, it is very unpredictable. I love the Cro, but it is extremely slow flying so I only would use it if I was worried about over-approaching a basket. The Roc or the Buzz. Thats what you need in your bag Eric.
fiya79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: buzzz on the way Reply with quote

I ordered a good assortment of discraft mids with the last order. I can't wait to get a fresh FLX buzzz. it sticks where it lands. the z skips, the esp turns over and just holds.
staatsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Few new discs? Reply with quote

Well, I guess I could suggest a few new discs for Father's Day, right? Very Happy

Mook - I think you said what I knew, but never figured out until now - when you power up on a Shark, it really is a bit unpredictable. Come to think of it, most of the time I throw it, it's not full power. Interesting realization.

Anyways, I'm a sucker for new discs - looks like a Roc and a Buzz may be in my future...and a bigger bag...Lance - you ordered some of those recently, too, right?

Thanks!

E
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a helpfull hint, don't waste your time with the buzz, just get a roc.

Later,

Caleb Wolfe
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have one thing to say, it is this, throw a WASP.

Austin
discgolf101

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to Caleb, he's a Roc elitist! The Buzzz is the most consistent and efficient disc on the market. I would also suggest a Shockwave (when beaten in, it's a very straight flying disc) or Squall...love them both.
ScottW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasp = modified Roc
Buzzz = modified Wasp
Everyone tries to copy the Roc, why not just throw one? It's the original - it's the best Exclamation It did take me a long time to find a Roc and learn how to throw it and now love it, but I wouldn't change it as my go-to mid-range disc (though I can admit that I do still throw on occasion my Garden City Flyers Crystal Z Buzzz for straight shots to slight turnovers but most often I either throw my beat DX Roc (ace disc) or my '06 Pro Worlds fundraiser STAR Roc for more stability. I find that my old 10x and 11x KC Pro Rocs are similar to a Buzzz but have way better glide but I gave my older brother the 10x and my wife the 11x. Way overstable mid-range would be either Cro or for even more turn the Gator Twisted Evil Throw Innova, throw a Roc Exclamation
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should go for the roc, but not a classic roc or glo roc. those suck
wwashby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: I did once Reply with quote

I threw a shark once off hole 15 at Bengal. Please see post on Lost and Found page.
staatsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: That's funny Reply with quote

I just made a comment today that I think I'm taking the sharks out of my bag - in favor of a roc (or in the future, multiple rocs). About the only time a shark comes out of the bag is for a flick roller these days....

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: