9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Womens league
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discgolfHER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Womens league Reply with quote

I hope this doesn't get posted twice.

I see that Boise has just started up their ladies league and I was wondering if Pocatello has any thought of starting a ladies league?
I am contemplating making the extra 30 min drive to Boise do to the fact that my daughter bailed on me. After taking one on one lessons in Boise, she decided that disc golf isn't her thing.
So, now that I am on my own, being with "women only" sound better for now. Not that I have anything against playing guys but being a newbi and playing with a group of guys, well it kinda give me butterflies in my stomach.
Anyways, if there is any concideration to a womens league, I would gladly commit to twice a month.
I love going to Pocatello, the Red Lobster there excellant !!!

Jason-
Do you happen to have Garreth Trappen e-mail address?
I am still waiting on the new course.....and waiting
I thought they said it was going to be put in at Rock Creek Park but I don't see where on earth they are going to squeeze it in.
Thanks.......
discgolf101

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The course at Rock Creek Park is going to be a lot of fun. I played it on one of their trial runs, and itr seems like it's going to work. They have already dug the holes, and made the basket order (so I was told) this past weekend. I would imagine the course will be ready to play in the next week or so.
mook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got 2 women to league last year and 2 so far this year. Boise is alot bigger of a city and has a longer disc golf history. So until we consistently got women out, I don't think there will be a demand for it.
discgolfHER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can totally understand why not alot of women play especially when they start having kids. A women's life revolves around her family and there isn't much alone time for herself.
My youngest starts college this fall and I am just now starting to see that there is a world out there beyond the house.
But what I am wonder is....
Where are the older women?
Well-like myself, It seems like disc golf is for the younger people and we might feel like we are out of our league.
My son says that I must be hitting midlife crisis.

Well at least I not sitting at home knitting or play bingo.
I see myself as one of the lucky ones.
I discovered and awesome sport !!!
mentally and physically challanging.
If the women want to sit at home....well that is there loss
but I would still like to see more out there.

Thanks Jason for the great update.
I was down at Parks and Recreation yesterday morning and they said that Rock Creek Park wasn't their jurisdiction so they didn't know much.
I am pretty hyped now.

If it isn't to much of a bother, I was wondering, since you have connections if could you ask around in a couple weeks if there will be leagues forming?
It is so hard to improve on your game when you practice by yourself, actually impossible.
I think Carla from Boise would love more competition next year.
Thanks again
tkase

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Women's League Reply with quote

I think that just because we don't get many women at the local events, it doesn't indicate that a league wouldn't fly. When I used to be a part of the cycling community, most women just didn't want to be a part of the very competitive, testosterone loaded outings. From what I understand now, there are active women cyclists that are organizing their own thing and are getting good participation.

I wonder if disc golf might have the same results. If there were women actively organizing a women's league, maybe it would work. I, for one, would pursue getting my wife out there and I think that she would like the social outlet (not to mention a little time away from me and the kids). There are two females in my office alone that might be interested in this.

I think that before we give up on the idea, we should talk to women and see if this would be an interest. Having a women's league would be a great local boost to the sport.

Troy Kase
discgolfHER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a thoughtful husband to stay at home with the kids so your wife can have an evening to herself.
I never got that privalege. I hardly ever had babysitters either.

I am not competitive at all.
I am sure that there are lots of reasons why there aren't alot of women on the course.
fear also has a good hold on me. My husband doesn't care for disc golf so trying to jump into a high guy % sport on my own. Once I get into and get going, It won't bother me. It just the actually getting started process.

I am all for getting a women's league going. Like I said before, I could commit to at at least 2 days a month. The drive to Pocatello from Twin Falls...actually Kimberly....sounds like a good get away.
Shopping, Red Lobster then and game of disc golf with ladies.
Who could pass that up.
I have been a housewife since the day I got married so I could really use time away from home also.
I still have 2 kids plus a 5 month old grandson at home and also have a son home for the summer from college.
Definately need that time away.
I wish I was there to help promote it.
If there is anything that I could do on this end, just let me know.
...Denise
hongmindy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance is always trying to get me to start a womens league. I would be happy to, I just haven't found many women that would be interested.

Boise has 2-3 women's open players, and a number of advanced players. Pocatello has no womens open or advanced players. I am the only semi-serious woman disc golfer (that I know of) and there's a few women that would like to disc golf more and have lots of potential but also have lots of kids.

I would love to hear if there are more women interested out there.

Mindy
discgolfHER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mindy,
Well maybe someday a womens league will form up there.
I am glad that people are thinking of it anyways.
At least you have a league to play in. I am hoping that they will have a league going on here soon. It is no fun throwing and putting in my backyard. Well ya it is Very Happy but a course would be better and actually play a round with people.

Do you guys ever get decent weather up there on Wednesdays?
Ever since you started leagues, what 8 weeks ago, the weather is always nasty. The forecast for tomorrow night doesn't look to promising either.
I even drove all the way out to Lake Walcott last month to spend the afternoon out there. It was beautiful when I left Twin and by the time I got to Walcott, the wind was blowing 100mph. I got to basket #2 and ended up heading home.

Maybe next week Poky will have great weather and I might get brave and come up alone without my daughter.
I have only played on a course once last summer so I am kinda nervous about playing a real game.
I would absolutely love to play in a tournament !!!
I am not competitive but I love challenges.
Maybe I will see you next week
Pray for nice weather.
.....Denise
tkase

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Women's League Reply with quote

I talked to my wife tonight about a women's league. She sounded somewhat interested. At least she would entertain the idea. We did discuss that she really does not want to come out with the guys. I think that this may be a common thread. The way that leagues are right now, the women are not going to come out. We would need a dedicated women's league.

Therefore, Mindy, Lance may be right. I am a fool for saying something like this, I know. However, the only way to really find out is to give it a try and have a league.
discgolfHER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider.................
I did here a concern about the Boise women's league.
Women aren't commited to coming out every week like men.

Maybe instead of forming a league at first, we could get the ladies that are interest together with a time and day ( when the weather isn't nasty) that is good for all of us and get out there and play a round and see how it goes and get a feedback.

If we can't get a league going maybe we could just play for fun for awhile till the interest grow and see if the women could commit.

I think I can talk one of my friends into coming along.
tkase

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Women's League Reply with quote

Play just for fun? Are you out of your mind?! Are you even going to keep score? You're killing me! This does not compute!

All of my lack of understanding aside, you make a very good point.

I think that your choice of words is bringing up a striking difference in how men and women often approach these things. That is a very good idea to just get together and play disc golf. My wife's concern about a league is using her "play card" every week doing disc golf. I, on the other hand, am happy to use my "play card" on disc golf every week while sometimes purchasing extra cards throughout the week to do the same.

Glad to have you here on the forum. Seriously.
wwashby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: it may fly Reply with quote

My wife just said put me down as a maybe. Which in my interpretive nature means she would give it a shot if:
the weather was nice,
she can count it as exercise,
I watch the kids,
she has someone else to throw disc into the trees with,
you each laugh with/at each other,
she is not the only one to show up,
it also does not count as her only "play card" for the week,
and some other weird mumbo jumbo that I don't understand about women gatherings yet.

Wendell
discgolfHER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I vote for:
Lets keep an eye on the forecast and when
the evenings get nicer
LET'S GET TOGETHER !!!

No weekly leagues to commit to....yet
Lets have some good ole girl time and start from
there.

HEY,
Not all of us throw discs into trees
I am really good at hitting the horse in our pasture.
I scared the living daylights out of him last night.
fiya79

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: try Reply with quote

I'll baby sit a few kids if necessary. Kaya plus 3? I'm sure another dad could come hang out at the toys for an hour THEn paly a round.
tkase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Women's Disc Golf Reply with quote

Sounds like we just need to set a date. I feel like I am setting up a play date for the kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: