5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trappers Disgrace-Lake Walcott's big event

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Trash Talking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drewpy101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Trappers Disgrace-Lake Walcott's big event Reply with quote

I hope I was not the only one offended by Lake Walcott's park staff during the half. I know it probably isn't any of my business, but I took it upon myself to write this letter. I did not mention names but if they wanted to figure it out, I think they could find you, brandon. Ill help you clean the egg off your house.

I sent it to everyone, I could find among the upper staff, about 8 people.

To whom it may concern:

I wanted to enlighten, and inform you of my recent visit to Lake Walcott State Park. Saturday, April 26th my disc golf club participated in a much anticipated Disc golf tournament. Fortunately, Lake Walcott has a fantastic disc golf course for which it is well worth today's fuel costs to travel to from different parts of the state. Preparations were made far in advance, to be able to use these facilities. In fact, via telephone a message was left with the date and time of our arrival, to which a return phone call from one of the park's staff confirmed our appointment. During our half-time interval, our tournament director was confronted by a park staff named Trapper, I believe.

Trapper was very upset with our director, apparently something had been overlooked in our preparation. Trapper, unfortunately did not hide any emotion, and did not use any tact, in his abrupt way of addressing his concerns. I was embarrassed for the tournament director, as Trapper continued to verbally release his frustration in a manner that could push the edge of harassment. This was done in front of 28 people who all sat there, embarrassed and uncomfortable. The tournament director apologized more than once, but it did not seem to matter what he said. We were described as the "worst disc golf group to come through Lake Walcott." He continued to threaten to "kick us out."

He blamed our tournament director for different park offenses that our group received full credit for such as:

-Not paying the vehicle and camping permits.

-Knocking on his door in the middle of the night because the bathrooms were not open. (it is a lot to assume that all offenses are tournament related.)

-Not obtaining the park permit to have a tournament; to which it was admitted that the staff that returned the phone call to say all was okay, was confused between this tournament and another on a later date. (I do not see how this is our error but apparently it was.)

The part that is so offensive, is the manner in which Trapper's concerns were handled in front of all parties. It was very clear we were not welcome.

For your information, I know most of this group, who consist of Lawyers, Managers and even Seminary teachers. I have attended many disc golf tournaments here and have never been in such good company. This was not your normal disc golf group.

Ironically, I purchased an annual vehicle pass the week before, to which was written on the return envelope "come often and enjoy." After this occurrence I wonder if I'll get my money's worth?

Please see that this letter reaches the correct persons, so that the next time we come to visit, we can expect a better time.

Sincerely,

DREW NIELSEN

Last edited by drewpy101 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

trapper certainly handled things the wrong way. Grumpy old man.
llamprec79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: ohh Reply with quote

That sounded like an unpleasant experience. I'm sorry that it happened. Hopefully, it will be a more calm experience when we go up there in May. That was quite a letter Drew. I hope that it will help the situation.
Logan
mook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misunderstandings happen. I know. As I recall, I did recieve two calls from the Lake Walcott office on this. One from Travis saying we were good to go and one from one of the secretaries asking I I had gotten a return call and I said yes, Travis called me back and said we were good to go.

My only fear is that this hurts events in the future. Trapper just needs to understand that I had made no error. The problem with miscommunication was in his office. It is not my responsibility to find out who might be camping and coordinate that.

The problem lied in the way this was confronted. Trapper verbally abused me in front of many people and threw me under the bus for dealings that are not my responsibility.

Miscommunication happens, but this was handled incorrectly.
tkase

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Disgraceful State Park Employee Reply with quote

I really appreciate Drew for writing this letter.

Trapper was nothing less than a SOB. It was my wife that knocked on his door in the middle of the night (at the wee hour of 6PM on Friday) asking about bathrooms. He pretty much verbally abused her. He later proceeded to seek us out and told me that there was NOT a disc golf tournament on that weekend.

I swore that I was going to write a letter and now definitely will. My complaints didn't really have anything to do with what happened on Saturday siunce I did not witness any of that. This guy really should not be employed there.

Troy
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Disgraceful State Park Employee Reply with quote

While I wasn't there to witness this, it seems a bit out of character for Trapper. You never know what burr is under someone's saddle at any particular time.

To say that he 'should not be employed there' is a bit of a stretch. For those of you new folks around, be informed that if it weren't for Trapper, there would be no disc golf at Lake Walcott. Several years ago he discovered disc golf at a conference for parks and rec folks, and spent the winter in his shop, welding up the baskets that were there until just a couple years ago, when new Innova Discatchers were installed. The old Walcott baskets are finding new life in other state parks, broadening the reach of our sport.

Before you assail his character, impugn his mother, and get your undies totally in a bundle by posting all this on a public forum, maybe you should have talked to Trapper's supervisor or at least dropped an email to him.

Going off on here is not much better than what you are describing his behavior as being at the park.

jon

Jon Lyksett
mook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jon (who suddenly appears in Idaho again after 2 years) that Trapper should be praised for disc golf at Walcott. To reiterate my former post on this subject. Misunderstandings happen and Trapper did handle it incorrectly. I did recieve an apology from Lake Walcott for the misunderstanding. Can we please let a dead dog lie now? All is good in Walcottland and will be from here on out.
cummmike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to let it lie, it might be a good idea to delete this forum topic and move on.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of deleting the topic, I am going to lock it and move it to the Trash Talking area. This really wasn't appropriate for the announcements area, sorry that I didn't get to it sooner.

I know our club has always had a great relationship with Trapper in the past and I would hate to see that irrevocably damaged by flaming on him in our forums.

I am glad to hear that Brandon received apologies.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Trash Talking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: