7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

distance thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: 360 SHOT, distance huckfest Reply with quote

I tried the 360 a few times a while back and had mixed results. I see the potential but since it wasn't anything I would ever throw in a round I backed off. it was messing up my game a bit. Now that I am gaining some consistency I tried again and found the smae thing. It has the potential to get a disc way out there, somewhere. I will certainly try again at a distance clinic.

does anyone want to try to throw their arm off on friday right after 5? I will check on available fields like the baseball by lower ross, or hawthorne. I know there is no city soccer at hawthorne and it is at least 550+ X 500. If you throw longer than that you have to be drug tested to come back...and prove you are not a cyborg by stabbing youself with a golf pencil in the eye.

I plan to take out a big tape measure (200') and cones and chalk and mark off distances in 3 directions. A grass teepad will have to do. Come out and throw your best golf shot, max d and try out everyone else's discs.

I should post back toady after talking to parks and rec...and mindy.

I think I have exactly 427' in me if the wind is right. I would love to huck some 150gram plastic too. I bought mindy a 150 dx destroyer that might be the ticket to the next level. If only I had a 150 dx teerex-x...That would be sweet. Or a 150 excaliber..mmmmmm. so stable, so light.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: distance get together Reply with quote

I am going out to hawthorne field on friday around 5pm to throw distance. I'm taking a measuring wheel, cones and paint. distances will be marked every 50 feet starting at 250. All are welcome. I'm taking my discs and Mindy's as well. bring all of your plastic and we'll play huck-a-rama. It should wrap up by 6:30.

Caleb expressed some interest in coming out when I saw him yesterday.

Mark should be there

Casey? Austin? anyone else?
staatsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: distance get together Reply with quote

fiya79 wrote:
Casey? Austin? anyone else?

I'd be interested - just need to clear it with the Misses....

A warning: I've never thrown for distance before, so in part, I'll show up for comic relief.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

I've never truly thrown unlimited maximum distance shots with no restrictions on width, it should be crazy. I am usually trying to keep it within some sort of bounds to avoid property damage.

I stepped off hawthorne field yesterday at 625 feet! that should be more than enough room even if some sort of baseball practice is running. corner to corner is like 750 feet. There are no city soccer games on fridays.

I'll be happy to offer any tips I have, as long as everyone realizes that I have only been throwing backhand for 14 months. you can offer your tips too.

If you want to come out to learn longer 'golf' shots too, that is fine. I mostly throw golf lines, just want to try out other stuff too.

Playing with caleb the other day made me realize how having a lot more power can add options to a game. he can power OVER the willow tree on 3 at ross. crazy. on 8 you can go OVER all the trees. on a lot of the alternate pads you can go really big and avoid a lot of obstacles. even on a short course having more kaboom can add options.

Also in a lot of tournaments I have played I noticed imtermediate players tend to hit a plateau at around 300'. most guys are throwing that far and never more, even after years no matter how many rounds.
A lot of the utah guys had exactly the same bad habits that restricted their power to 300'. It was like the same guy taught everyone, and not very well. I saw everything from poor run-ups and no reach back to wrong disc or no spin, but there were some common, repeat, correctable problems. Even some of the lower advanced players were relying entirely on perfect upshots to score well. to get to the next level you have to bird sometimes! if I have 50 foot upshots and you have 100' upshots the rule of large numbers has me winning more than you.
Going way back in the thread you still have to make the putt. but i'd rather drop it in than have to hit 25 footers.

The difference between progressing and plateau, I feel, is practice. Now not to be captain obvious, but i'm not talking about playing more rounds at ross at lunch. I mean going out to a field and honing technique, getting in reps and trying new shots with no regard for score. In 20 minutes at a baseball field I can throw 30 or so drives. at bengal It takes me 2 hours to throw 18 drives. jus tlike Ross park I might putt 12 times a round at home I can putt 12 times a minute. effective use of practice time is the way to advance your game. rounds are good too, but it isn't the best way to have a breakthrough. very few people will play a round entirely with a roller to get better, it is just more fun to play for score.
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: distance thread Reply with quote

I'd love to come out this Friday, but I'm doing Walcott on Saturday, if I get an OK from my doctor... Last Monday I was trying this practice thing you mention and either pulled or ripped something in my stomach muscles (my foot slipped out from under me and I twisted all wrong).

I am hitting 275 feet with some consistency (with a t bird or a buzz... or wraith), 300 possible, but less common.

You're right about practice. I'm trying to unlearn some bad habits, and hence likely contributed to my injury. The thing I remember from learning a musical instrument is that practice makes permanent, not practice makes perfect. You have to practice with the right technique, otherwise you become one of those guys shootin' 300 and relying on upshots/putting. Not a bad thing at all, but I'm always pushing for more.

If I get into something, I want to do it really well. That's why I compete. The competition pushes me to achieve more, and I'm exposed to people with greater talent than myself. More power/distance definitely gives you more options for your approaches.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: that stinks Reply with quote

I am amazed at how much I cleaned up my own technique. I didn't even realize how bad I was. Having some help might have made it so much faster.

With minimal effort I can hit 330 very consistently. I could throw that all day and not get tired. I feel like it is even slow motion compared to the wind up and flail I used to have. My arm/shoulder/abs used to ache after tournaments. Now I can play at lunch too.

come out and throw just a few if necessary. I'm going to leave some gas in the tank for walcott too.

even watching other flail might be helpful.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to swing out to Hawethorne at 5 on Friday. I will likely need to leave around 6, but I'd love to go out and huck with you guys. Just need to okay it with the misses. See ya soon.

Austin
staatsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: I'm in! Reply with quote

Woo hoo! Permission granted from the misses. Anything I can bring? I have access to 100-200' tapes and a wheel, also.

See ya there.

Eric
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: distance day Reply with quote

I will be at hawthorne around 5pm setting up. if it is crowded the backup plan is OK Ward park, on Quinn rd. drive down hawthorne rd until quinn, turn left and voila. It is huge as well, and wide open.

Bring your whole bag, and backup bag and c-bag.

even if it is windy I think it could be good. more wind= crazy long shots.
fiya79

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: distance day success Reply with quote

7 people came out to hawthorne despite the raging winds. because of the wind there were some ridiculously long shots and some just plain ridiculous shots. Mark had a roller go so far we had to measure it with a vehicle odometer. Plus it was rolling down the road, so he had to go get it anyhow. basically the wind made it hard to really learn anything, but it was fun in a sick kind of way. I was going to offer a bounty on the longest drive title, but it was so random that it didn't seem right. thanks to drew, mike, mark, caleb, eric and mindy for coming out despite horrndous conditions. next time we'll order better weather.
staatsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Fun with distance (and wind) Reply with quote

Thanks for setting things up, Lance. And thanks for the technique tips. It's quite amazing to think that when throwing with proper technique, my arm doesn't ache. Now, if I can just practice and unlearn all those bad habits....

Fun time - and great learning experience just seeing more experienced players throw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: