6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

distance thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it would be interesting if someone spent a lot of time doing a study on the long throw. personally i think a good idea would be to get all the really long throwers together, use a digital video camera to record their throws, and then analyze it on the dartfish program. dartfish software is used to analyze every track event by the USATF. many other sports are also analyzed with this program. if you don't know anything about dartfish i'm sure you can google it.

would dartfish really work to analyze a disc golf throw? i don't know. would i do the study? no. would i read over the data from the study if it was done? no. i would rather be outside playing disc golf. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but i view disc golf as a game more than a sport because i would rather keep it fun than over analyze it.

that being said... i think distance comes from good footing, core and shoulder strength, and wrist snap. i've heard a number of times that my long forehands look effortless. to me they are because they're all wrist. i have to do more work to rip a backhand
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I need to huck a disc over 400', I generally focus On three things:

Arm tradjectory

Arm Speed

wrist Snap

I was told once that the more spin a disc has, the longer it will hold its anny or stability. If a disc resists fading longer, it will glide longer, and thereby, fly farther.

If your wanting to pick up 10% - 15% more distance, try snapping the disc to invoke more rotation.

Also, really focus on finding that perfect ratio of height to length. Throwing too high or too low will really affect your distance.

Austin
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: lefty power Reply with quote

I wasn't actually refrencing Scott on his lefty play. there really are a few people out there that claim to count every righty throw and spend time after a round throwing an equal number of lefties. I just find this hard to believe. They may think they do it every time but I'm sure there are many times when light runs out or time expirtes or laziness prevails. anyone that dedicated to the sport should be world class. much of that time would be better spent putting probably.
As for scott, 325 is impressive that's just shy of my righty.
If i'm going to harass you I'll try to be direct about it. No need to be subtle as a cyber bully.
ScottW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No biggie Lance, I didn't notice any harassment anyway. I'll return the favor too Very Happy
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: height vs distance. Reply with quote

Austin brings up a good point. you can't throw a mile 4 feet from the ground. but if you are regularly losing discs to passing airliners you are losing distance as well. my longest shots tend to be anny, 40 feet or so from the ground. they have to have the altitude to glide it out and start to fade back. But regular straight shots for me need only about 25 feet of air to go the distance.
tkase

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Grips Reply with quote

Today I was out throwing for distance and played around with different grips. Recently I tried a three finger power grip and liked the feel. Today I experimented with a two finger grip. I had a number of them really rip out and exceed 300'. Accuracy was another story.

The two finger grip allowed me to get more whip from the wrist out to my fingers. I know this grip isn't highly recommended, but I will definitely play with this some more. Even after I got tired, I was throwing some really good distances with this grip.

However, with this way of throwing I did turn a lot of discs over. That should be an easy problem to fix. I have been throwing a disc shaped rock called a Discraft Crush and had gotten into the habit of turning over my disc. The Crush only goes about 10' if I don't. On Saturday, I experimented throwing my bag to see if I got better distance than the Crush. Too bad my bag isn't a PDGA approved disc.

TK
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've found that I get much better distance out of my bag if I hammer throw it. You've got to use those straps for something. So here is how you do it:

1) Grab the strap(s) with both hands and get a firm grip
2) Get a good balance and swing the bag to your dominant hand
3) During the swing, begin to rotate your body in the direction of the swing
4) While spinning, keep the straps of the bag taut and the bag at about thigh level
5) When the maximum rotational velocity is achieved, release the bag upward and outward towards the target

This should, if anything, keep you entertained. Also, when you feel yourself getting angry and frustrated at your game, think of these steps. By the time you actually get the bag off the ground and spinning, you'll be laughing so hard, you won't feel angry anymore.

On top of that, you may do this once in a round with other people. However, you'll look stupid beginning to throw your bag with such a well-thought out process. The next time you think about throwing your bag, you'll remember how stupid you looked last time. This will even further aid in calming you down and keeping you level headed.

Any way, I hope this helps you achieve some better distance with your bag. Personally, I've found that it hurts less and works better to just stick to throwing your discs.

Austin
fiya79

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: hurt fingers Reply with quote

a few weeks ago I hurt my ring finger tip on my right hand really bad. I couldn't throw with it for 3 weeks. I went to a pinch grip with pointer, birdie and thumb. It worked really well for understable discs up to about 340'. I had a roadrunner flipping and gliding really well. after that it fell apart the wraith needed more spin and 340-350 is about max D for the road runner for me. to really gun it out there I need more grip power.

Today at blackfoot I only really connected once or twice, plus I don't throw D well in the wind. I felt like a wuss.
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: distance thread Reply with quote

Anyone have suggestions for avoiding a "nose up" release?

When I throw at max power I'm struggling to find that middle ground between too high up in the air and down in the dirt.
ScottW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that many players who are trying to improve their backhand throw have a hard time just letting the disc do what it is supposed to. Many feel that the disc won't rise on its own and that is why so many tend to throw with the nose up. What I tell people is to first shut off your brain, you know where your hand and your arm needs to be so put them in the plane that you need them in without letting your brain override you. If I am having a problem with nose up, which is still a common problem for me, I will concentrate on a slightly higher reach back, driving forward with my elbow, pulling the disc flat across my chest (at or slightly above nipple line), and try to throw it nose down just a little and let the disc work and rise on its own. A proper follow through helps a lot also, don't try to slow your arm or body momentum down prematurely. I'll tell people struggling with this to act like they are going to throw the disc into the ground as hard as they can about 150-200 feet out (without actually doing it though Very Happy ) I think you want the slight feeling of throwing into the ground without the result, this should help you release with a flatter or more nose down trajectory.
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: nose up Reply with quote

I used to do this a lot also. The key for me- I agree with scott- is the reach back. if you reach back and your arm is high it is really hard to release nose up.

I have noticed you crouch a bit at wind up and you reach back is really, really low. then you scoop up and get the nose up and away it goes. a smooth pull through adds more power than a wacky hard sweep. your mids are smooth, just keep that form for drivers!
mook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call it the breast stroke. Bring your backhand straight accross your chest from the getgo. Don't start down low and bring it up cause you will be fighting each drive with the nose up that way. If you have trouble consistently doing it, arch your back a little. You can't hunch over (which causes the nose up throw) if you are bending backwards a little. Plus, by bending your back will help with the nice "s" turn.

By the way, I have the Scott Stokely instructional video on backhands and forearms if anyone would like to borrow it. I also have the video from when he came to Pocatello and did a clinic.
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: the actual big d shot. Reply with quote

I think a lot of this discussion has leaned (logically and sensibly) towards 'golf line' shots. But I know in distance comps pros are not throwing shots that have a super high degree of accuracy or even success.

If I want to set a personal best I throw an anhyzer wraith about 50 feet up and just rip it. it hurts my back a bit, and occasinally kills small children, but when I connect it just goes and goes. Maybe 1 in 5 shots goes the right direction/power/angle. really getting ahold of this shot has the potential for about 420-(maybe)440 feet.

For consistency I throw the same wraith with a slight hyzer, let it flip up and "helix" and just fade out at the end. I can do this pretty consistently. This shot is good for 360 feet with some accuracy. maybe 380 in the right gravity.
BUT HERE IS MY THING----
Valarie jenkins is claming a max D of like 400-420+ feet (like me)but at one tourney I saw she bowed out on a 300' hyzer water birdie shot. (all the women passed on the water route.) She threw over land andguaranteed a 3 or worse. I feel like I could carry that distance pretty easy, maybe even with a buzzz. At the memorial I don't think any women even tried to carry the 360' water hole. so clearly max D and golf are different.
so i wonder- Should I be throwing further max D? because my max D shots and golf shots aren't miles apart. And how far are pros driving whent hey have to hit a fairway- 400...450?...does anyone throw a 500 foot shot (level ground) in a tourney?
I suppose someone could browse Kerry's extensive video collection and figure it out, but I am not that committed ... probably.

Any thoughts?
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: max d Reply with quote

so I was reffing soccer today and i had a little time before a game and I had some discs and a huge field. At hawthorne park it is probably 500' to a row of trees from where I was. a good 400' wide too.

the wind was pretty good for backhand, left to right, slightly from behind, steady 10mph or so. I felt good and held back a little because there was a little kid playing in a soccer net if things went really badly. Even so I paced three throws out. I got 164, 166 and 167 steps, give or take one step both directions (there were paint marks I teed from) Before everyone does the math X3- my steps are only 2.5 feet, every time. It is shockingly consistent.

So i put three drives out there at about 415 without tweaking my back or really getting crazy. I felt pretty good. I threw them back to the tee at 3/4 power to avoid killing a tee ball team, 360' every time.
I threw a 167 champ sidewinder well, my nice blue star wraith (167) and a 167 pro beast. the roadrunner was too flippy in the wind but more stable stuff was getting out there too. I probably threw them about 30' high, mostly flat or slightly hyzer.

I am going to go back with a 200' tape, some cones and paint and hold a personal distance comp in the next little while. The prevailing winds seem favorable. anyone else want to come find out how far they really throw when accuracy means NOTHING?
discgolf101

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a great thread to read. I know I don't post on here often, and really don't know a lot of you, but I am a distance junkie.

When it comes to actual distance (not golf) shots, I think the key is in arm speed. I've been working on the 360 for a couple years, and feel pretty competent with that. My power is fine, but that's about all I've relied on. I've been working on arm speed lately and have been getting much better results with less effort.

As for golf though, I rarely find it necessary to pop out anything further than about 450'. After that, you start losing accuracy; and to allude to a previous post, I'd much rather beat my opponent than out drive them (although I am usually tempted to try to drive hole 5 at Lake Walcott rather than laying up...but that's just pride getting in the way).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: