6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mook's Adventure Series 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Mook's Adventure Series 2008 Reply with quote

Salt Lake City Ice Bowl 2008 (Creekside Disc Golf Course)
January 26th, 2008

Here are some pictures from the event.
http://picasaweb.google.com/themook77/SaltLakeCityIceBowl

Welcome to the first installment of the 2008 Mook's Adventure Series! Hopefully, you will find this documentary educational, inspirational, and entertaining (or a big waste of time). Feel free to post any replies to the forum.

The first installment takes us to the SLC Ice Bowl. Kerry Hong, Lance Clark, Casey Locke, and I carpooled down to this event which was touted to raise $1000 for a local charity, The Road Home. We met at 6:00am (I woke up 7 minutes earlier) and headed to Utah. In the car ride down, I found out little know facts about the guys, Kerry has nightmare and some sort of fascination with Bigfoot (he thinks he's real). I got a Mountain Dew/Enourmous Omelet Sandwich breakfast combo at the gas station we found carried 1170 calories (what!? I had a banana earlier!). We also talked about the politics of disc golf in the area.

On to disc golf.....The day was shaping up to be a beautiful sunny 45 degree day. This was a bring your own double partner event and Lance was my partner. We were both testing our arms to see if we still knew how to play disc golf after a long winter break. We came out throwing sort of hot. We birdied 4 out of the first 7 holes, but only found 2 more birdies the rest of the round. All the holes were set in their short position so we knew if we bogied it would be devastating to our egos.

Thankfully, no boges yet. We were 6 down halfway through. There was no leaderboard so didn't know where we sat, except that we were 1 stroke behind our Pocatello counterparts.

The 2nd round came and it was even harder for us to get birdies. We were still trying to wake from the lunch break at Eat A Burger (oh believe me, the food stories get more interesting). Casey Locke was playing the game of his life with Kerry. Kerry kept referring to their doubles group as "Team Casey". Lance and I were consistently driving 40-50 feet away from the basket trying to make miracle putts all day. We did come up with some long putts though, more than would be expected on a winter day. Although, we could only dig up 5 birdies in the 2nd round.

Again, no leaderboard, but with an 11 down score I am sure we would have ended up in the middle bottom of the 54 entries tournament. There were no divisions in this event. It was all decided upon how many mulligans you bought (at $10 a whack) and whether you used them or not. Lance and I decided our best shot with our mediocre play was the "bought mulligans but didn't use any" division. It didn't work with our score. We won nothing.
The winning group shot 27 down and bought 30 mulligans ($300) and used all but 1. They won a sweatshirt.

But who cares? The money went to charity. About $1800 was rounded up for charity which exceeded TD Steven Sharp's (father of PDGA nominated rookie of the year Cory Sharp) goal of $1000.

Afterwards, Kerry took us to HoHo Gourmet Chinese restaurant which was basically a barely passing Utah health codes restaurant just off of State Street. Kerry ordered us some roast duck, clams, chinese spinach in oyster sauce, and some beef noodle stuff. No one else at the clams but Kerry (he downed like 10 of them). I had some duck.......and held it down!! I mostly stuck to my safety dish-orange chicken.

Overall, I had alot of fun taking a road trip with the boys, eating Chinese food, and it was a good warm up for my arm after a couple month hiatus. This tournament had a "play for fun" element written all over it. I would have had a little more fun if I knew that I had a chance. Two Advanced/Intermediate guys with 1 mulligan in the same division as two pro's with 30 mulligans doesnt seem like much of a chance.

I put in $20 plus a $10 charity mulligan to this event. I got in return a nice full color Ice Bowl T-shirt, and Ice Bowl Aviar putter, and a Utah Challenge Visor. I am not sure what that all costs so we will just say I broke even on this event.
kerry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

I cleaned out the car today and found Mooks steel thermos and Lance's hat.
mook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! If you are going to the Poky Ice Bowl I can just get it from you then. If not, I have Wednesdays and Saturdays off and I can come get it when you are in town and available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: