7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LAVA course updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: LAVA course updates Reply with quote

Brandon, Lance, Caleb and WWashby went to lava today. we spotted 9 nice holes. there is no way 18 will fit.
All measurements given are gut feeling, except #2, which I walked off. The land available is fairly open and bare, but elevated nicely. The general layout of the course starts at the pavilion across from pool and wraps all the way around the pool counter clockwise. The main problems with a good design are keeping errant shots off the highway and not having many obstacle to work with. The elevation keeps it interesting and challenging- and deceptive. There are 3 holes I don?t expect to be able to drive. 1,2,5 but 1 is a maybe if I eat my Wheaties and depends a lot on the tee placement. 2 may be in range for some folks, 5 will be really tough to deuce. The last 2 river holes are ?easy? throws but have a lot of pucker factor. The river, potential parked cars?.the river. Holes 1,3,8,9 have some character. 3 is pretty sweet, if it gets to stay- due to a new slide coming in. there used to be a ball golf course through here and we used basically all of the old tees and greens. It adds a bit to the flavor. The manager said that during the summer there is always a set of sprinklers on somewhere on the property.
I'm sure my memory is flawed and my distance gauge is skewed, but here is the breakdown
Hole 1
Start by the huge cottonwood tree by the pavilion at the park across from the Olympic swimming complex. Throw uphill parallel to the smallish road towards the big cottonwoods and junipers. The hole in the depression near the existing, but unused) BBQ grill. 350?? uphill L2R OR R2L
Hole 2
Tee from the flat spot next to two smaller scotch pine trees. Throw towards the power pole, maybe 50 feet downhill from it. 400? slightly downhill L2R OR R2L
Hole 3
Tee from front of flat spot uphill from #2, as near as possible to the highway hill. Throw towards obvious flat spot over gully. Pin is on left edge of dropoff. slight uphill 330? R2L
Hole 4
Climb up small hill and cross the pool access road. #4 is across road just off dirt access path. Throw toward old ball golf green into headwind usually, downhill 350? L2R OR R2L
Hole 5
Climb across access path, uphill towards highway to level spot well above pin 4. Throw away from highway parallel to white fence to pin beyond big cottonwood and utility box. Way downhill 300? L2R
Hole 6
Pad is located in corner of grassy area just past pin 5. Throw diagonally uphill and across grassy area to pin just downhill of pad 4 by big cottonwood. 400+ feet uphill EITHER
Hole 7
Walk down parallel to pool fence to the intersection of the condos and pool property. Throw blind righty backhand hyzer, following side hill. 240? level R2L
Hole 8
Cross paved condo road to chain link sided bridge and hot pool feature. Throw down strip of grass to pin just visible over rise located between road and river 20? short of the end of the grass. River close on right, road close on left! 240?? level STRAIGHT
Hole 9
Walk upstream a bit and look for a flat spot between road and trees under good sized tree. Pin is on river?s edge directly under large tree with ?umbrella? branches guarding all approaches. 220? downhil
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: brandon's map of lava Reply with quote

Brandon did a fine job on the map.

It is right next to the highway for 2 holes. This was some concern for all involved but... on hole 2 there are 2 trees that serve as guardians to severe turnovers if the pad is put in right, plus you are playing downhill and away from the highway. hole three is well below the highway to start and if the pad is placed right next to a huge enbankment that supports the highway it should be OK.

I think the design flows really easily, will be easy to follow and hard to score well on for the first few rounds. there is a lot of deception. You can tell just from the difference between my distance estimates and Brandon's.
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: LOST BUZZ RECLAIMED Reply with quote

I had lost one os my white buzzzes at lava when we were walking the course on Wed. i went up last night and found it. It was suspiciously near the river, about where I would have been shaking uncontrolably.

I walked off holes 8 and 9. I got about 235-245 for 8 and 230-240 for 9. That is better than I had expected on 9. 8 could be placed even further back to make it even harder. but it seems scary enough already. 9 could also have an alternate further back, but it would be quite scary if you don't want to go in the river to retrieve a disc. the landing zone is tiny and there is NO hyzer route no matter how crazy you throw without removing trees. 9 is sweet. I didn't dare throw at it since one trip into the drink was enough this week..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: