6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

grand targhee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Results
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: grand targhee Reply with quote

well kerry mindy and I tried to represent PVDGC at the targhee event. Austin and co was there along with a few other poky folks.

Mindy got 4th out of a solid 10 woman field. amanda ransom/noesen got third by one stroke.

Kerry put together two solid rounds and pulled out 9th in advanced out of 24. he was 4th after 18 but lost two strokes in the second round.

I was an astonishing 22nd out of 24 after the first round. an illustrious eight over does that. I improved a whopping nine strokes in the second round and moved up eight spots.

The crazy part is that kerry didn't cash. Women paid 5 out of 10. the "fun" division paid out 5 out of 8. pro paid 6 out of 11 and advanced paid 8 out of 24. Go figure. The "fun" prizes were awesome. 5th got a nice towel, a mini, a disc, and some othe junk. 3rd in advanced got some local merchant clearance items and a disc.

It was my first time on the course. I was a little surprised at how short it was given the fact that they had virtually unlimited room to lay it out, but it was tricky. I felt like every hole was within bird range. even the 550' had so much elevation and wind that I was worried most about overdrive. That being said I did like the course and would play it again any time.

I didn't belive fully the stories of the debauchery at the tourney but man tghe driggs folks know how to chemically alter their brains. during the frequent bottlenecks in the second round there were up to 16 people at a tee pad. 14 puilled out pipes and got baked. I didn't and the assistant TD declined. And that's besides the drinking, which was copious.

The rules were very very lax and the TD's timeliness was so-so. disc filpping was OK, some people weren't even marking at all and I know some scores in my groups were vastly under reported. courtesy was flexible and I actually hit a guy with a putt because he was going well out of turn. we waited for the after events for a long time. they sent everyone up to play for a CTP prize ($300 grill) and no one came with to pick a tee. everyone stood around for 10 minutes looking like idiots.
kerry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Mr. Big Shot Reply with quote

I witnessed perhaps two of the longest drives I've seen in my life from hole 10. Lance threw them both and neither of them were within 500' of where he was aiming. First was a preround dragon turnover that may still be aloft because it was not found. The second was his beloved inferno DT. The group ahead was spotting for us and the group behind was a gallery. Lance was going for a hyser-flip that just didn't flip. For those of you who know the course, Lance's drive ended up by the pin on hole 11 behind the guardian trees. I knew the shot was out there because Mindy and I could hear the spotters keep yelling at Lance, "No, go farther, dude!" Impressive. It was a good time and a fun tourney. The after round breaks were too long for me, but most of the players were enjoying the party. Austin played Pro or he would have placed well in advanced. Andrew Schrum, who won advanced at Caleb's tourney and the IF monthly did well in Pro. I was most disappointed that Matt, Mark and Mike (A.K.A. M-Cubed) did not make it to represent PVDGC.
KarenAndJazz

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiya79 wrote:
well kerry mindy and I tried to represent PVDGC at the targhee event. Austin and co was there along with a few other poky folks.

Mindy got 4th out of a solid 10 woman field. amanda ransom/noesen got third by one stroke.

Kerry put together two solid rounds and pulled out 9th in advanced out of 24. he was 4th after 18 but lost two strokes in the second round.

I was an astonishing 22nd out of 24 after the first round. an illustrious eight over does that. I improved a whopping nine strokes in the second round and moved up eight spots.

The crazy part is that kerry didn't cash. Women paid 5 out of 10. the "fun" division paid out 5 out of 8. pro paid 6 out of 11 and advanced paid 8 out of 24. Go figure. The "fun" prizes were awesome. 5th got a nice towel, a mini, a disc, and some othe junk. 3rd in advanced got some local merchant clearance items and a disc.

It was my first time on the course. I was a little surprised at how short it was given the fact that they had virtually unlimited room to lay it out, but it was tricky. I felt like every hole was within bird range. even the 550' had so much elevation and wind that I was worried most about overdrive. That being said I did like the course and would play it again any time.

I didn't belive fully the stories of the debauchery at the tourney but man tghe driggs folks know how to chemically alter their brains. during the frequent bottlenecks in the second round there were up to 16 people at a tee pad. 14 puilled out pipes and got baked. I didn't and the assistant TD declined. And that's besides the drinking, which was copious.

The rules were very very lax and the TD's timeliness was so-so. disc filpping was OK, some people weren't even marking at all and I know some scores in my groups were vastly under reported. courtesy was flexible and I actually hit a guy with a putt because he was going well out of turn. we waited for the after events for a long time. they sent everyone up to play for a CTP prize ($300 grill) and no one came with to pick a tee. everyone stood around for 10 minutes looking like idiots.

Hello Pocatello! I hope you guys had a great winter and are looking forward to some fun golf events this summer. This is as good a time as any to let you know about our upcoming tournament the 11th Annual Grand Targhee Disc Golf Open. It will be held this year on Saturday, July 26. Here's the link for more info:

http://www.grandtarghee.com/the-resort/news-events/events.php?item=1115

Usually we send our poster over to Randy and ask him to post it on your #1 tee if he has time and doesn't mind. You guys & gals are always most heartily welcome to attend our event. We are aware that some of you choose not to come for reasons that we've heard through the grapevine, and we respect that it's not a fun environment for certain people. We're all about it being a fun day, so last thing we want is for someone to feel it's not fun but rather an uncomfortable situation, what with the fact that one of our major sponsors is a local brewery and we have free microbrews available for the golfers during play if they so choose.

One of your nice local guys contacted us recently to ask if it was true that we run a crummy event and if we could fix it, and when I wondered what in the heck he was talking about, I was made aware of this review of last year's tournament. Though this is a harsh critique, I do realize that it's unrealistic to think you're going to run the perfect event that every single person there is going to be 100% thrilled with every single aspect. We do try hard, and the thing we strive for the most is to make sure it is a fun day of playing golf up in the mountains on a beautiful summer day with a festive crew of smiley people. It's not easy running a tournament. Anyone who's ever run one knows there's a lot of work behind the scenes. TDs always talk about how it's common to play crappy in your own tournament because you have so much on your plate to keep track of organizing the whole thing and making sure everything gets done, everything and everyone is where they need to be at the appropriate time. And we do it all for the love of the sport yippee! We certainly get plenty of praise and positive feedback about our event, so I'm not going to go hang myself off the yardarm over these bitter remarks. But I do think that there are a few things that we should explain so anyone thinking about coming to Targhee this summer will understand our event and not be shocked that we drink beer, our prize payout and so forth. We do invite you all to come, and we want everyone who is there to have a very superb day of playing golf, no matter what their final score.

Now Jazz is on a fishing trip he was actually thinking about making a surprise appearance to the Walcott tournament this weekend, but I don't know if that's going to happen. So I'm just going to try to respond for us both to some of these concerns.

First of all, I remember all the people in this review. I was really psyched to have some Pockie folks, especially since I feel a little bad about some of the hating coming from your area. And boy, those guys seemed eager to compete and whip some Targhee butt! I could literally see it in their eyes. That kind of energy is always SO fun to have onboard.

I got to play the second round with Mindy and Amanda, and it was fun to play with the top women. e group the second round by score, regardless of division and Melissa was way ahead of us, but she really wanted to play with 'the girls' so Jazz put her in our group. Melissa ended up having the round of her life and that was really fun to experience with her. She was one happy camper. I thought she was a goner a couple times, and she kept pulling out these amazing saves. I remember Mindy as a cute petite lady with a very solid game, and Amanda was just a blast. If she keeps playing disc golf, with her go-get-em spirit, she's going to be FIERCE. Definitely give your ladies there some cred. So that was my experience with your crew. I'll be really depressed to find out that Mindy and Amanda had as bad an experience with the whole day as Jim did, because in my eyes we had a very pleasant afternoon.

Quote:

First of all, let's be clear that this is NOT a PDGA event and not all tournaments adhere to their guidelines for prize payout. For the pros who are playing for the cold hard cash, who actually do 'cash', yes, we do stick pretty close. I need to ask Jazz, but I think he does pay out the pros in the manner PDGA recommends for their events. He actually pays out higher amounts, because we don't utilize our money to buy prizes for the ams as PDGA suggests. We're known for having a very decent payout for the pros because of this. And now that we're no longer part of any series, we don't have to contribute cash for series prizes, so all that stays in the pot.

No, we don't reward a percentage of the amateurs down into the middle of the pack as PDGA suggests. We'll pretty much award prizes to the top places in any division, no matter how long it is, and then we quit 'cashing' the ams. (If you care about 'cashing' by the way, you really oughtta play in the Pro division. As far as I'm concerned, the Ams just play for bragging rights.) You can blame that on me, because I think it's ridiculous. I don't care how big the division is - the winners are the winners and the rest, well, they wish they'd played better so they could be the winners. I wouldn't mind just awarding the top three places in each of the amateur divisions and give the rest of our prizes away as raffle prizes, but we get so dang many prizes, Jazz tries to toe the line a little bit more than I would by giving prizes away lower down into the pack. We do generally have an embarrassment of riches. But say, in what other sport do amateurs get rewarded for coming in 9th place - No offense to Kerry - he had a very solid score and is to be commended, but your day was ruined because you wanted a prize for 9th place?

I think one thing that folks need to realize is that not all tournaments are PDGA events, or even styled after PDGA. I like PDGA events and I have played in them, even though I think the super-deep am payouts are silly and I don't agree with inequitable payouts between the men and women divisions, especially in the top places ' the true ' winners. But PDGA provides an excellent model for running a tournament. Just because you choose to run your tournament slightly different to PDGA doesn't mean that it's wrong or 'crazy.' We don't award by percentage entered in the division - that is just our way. If you want a prize at Targhee, then you better step it up and come in 8th place next time - simple as that.

I don't remember prizing the Fun Category down to 5th place - I'll have to ask Jazz about that cuz I don't think we did - but who knows, maybe we lost our minds and did that. Last July was a long time ago. There is no way in heck that a 5th place Fun prize would be more valuable than 3rd place Adv Am. Not even close. Jazz and I do know our math and Fun prizes are not intended to be all that much, just a little something is all. If those people want to be compete for great prizes, they should play in the Adv Am. We're not trying to encourage people to play in the Fun division - we just wanted to provide a way for those people to be able to join us and play who really don't hardly even want to keep score. I actually had the idea that the Fun division would be a no-score division - nobody keeps score - but Jazz pooh-poohed that brilliant idea of mine. This year is actually the first time anyone has signed up in that division.

Yup, women who compete in our tournament are rewarded at the same level as the men. You have a woman TD at this tournament who believes the women should get the same prizes as the men regardless of how many are entered. How will we ever encourage more women to step up and play? This year we had ten women entered and the top five won super great prizes, same value as the top five men. I'm here to tell you clearly, so everyone can hear me and tell their wives and girlfriends if there were only five women entered, there would have still been five winners with the same value prizes as the men. So if there are four women entered, you better believe I start hitting up the ladies who are shiftlessly hanging around and tell them that if they just sign up and play both rounds, they are guaranteed, at the very least, to win a lift ticket, a disc and bunch of fabulous merch. Next thing you know, she's talking her friend into joining her too and now hey! we got ourselves a horse race!

See, I don't believe the PDGA style of rewarding divisions based purely on percentage of entrants encourages women to enter tournaments. We give them great odds ; and once we hook em in and they have a great experience, they won't be so fearful to step up and play in tournaments.

Jim makes it sound like we penalize the men, while from my perspective, we are rather encouraging the women with higher prizes than maybe their division 'merits.' This is kind of my mission in life: to encourage women to play golf and to not be afraid to compete. Most of the guys I talk to seem to think this is a worthy goal.

Quote:
3rd in advanced got some local merchant clearance items and a disc.

This is false. Ask Amanda what she received, as 3rd place Adv Am Women prize was the same value range as 3rd place Adv Am Men. She didn't seem too bummed out. I don't have my list of prizes handy, but I'll bet you anything she won a lift ticket (worth $60 or more this year) in addition to a bunch of good 'junk.' I think we gave lift tickets to the top 5 places in the men's and women's (none for the Fun division). Jim makes it sound like we handed out these amazing prizes for 5th place Fun, and then lesser prizes to 3rd place Adv Am. No way.

Quote:

Cool! glad you liked our course. I just want to point out the design considerations we had with all our virtually unlimited room to lay it out. When I proposed this course to Grand Targhee in 1996, they were planning to start a summer tourist business for the first time. My idea was that I could sell them on the idea of the disc golf course as an additional activity for their lodging guests. They had never heard of disc golf, but I guess they thought it sounded like a good enough idea that they decided to go for it in 1997. We had to keep in mind that the resort's goals were to incorporate a fun activity that families who had perhaps never even thrown a Frisbee before could enjoy with their kids. So we had the task of creating a layout that would be fun for the family of four from Ohio, as well as interesting for us seasoned players (there were no players at all in Teton Valley besides me & Jazz back then essentially, but you get my drift). Jazz always had in mind that we would build pro tees farther back or in trickier placements, and maybe someday we will get the gumption to do it. I love the idea of some pro par 4s. In the meantime, we're really pleased with the course we built because we achieved our goal of making a fun course for the family from the suburbs as well as for us. Targhee is happy. They love this tournament too - they have been very disc-golf friendly. We appreciate you all giving them lots of positive feedback - I believe all the good comments led the way to them accepting my second proposal to expand the course to 18 holes a couple years ago.

Quote:
I didn't believe fully the stories of the debauchery at the tourney but man the Driggs folks know how to chemically alter their brains. during the frequent bottlenecks in the second round there were up to 16 people at a tee pad. 14 pulled out pipes and got baked. I didn't and the assistant TD declined. And that's besides the drinking, which was copious.

Jazz and I are the TDs, so I must be the 'assistant TD' referred to here. I'm not the 'assistant' by the way - I also do not walk 5 paces behind my husband or wear a burka. Sorry but you got my cowgirl dander up a little with that. Jazz is back from his fishing trip now, so while I don't remember this event in the slightest, he would just like to simply say that we do not condone chemical brain alteration during tournament play, and Targhee certainly does not. If something happens during tournament play that deeply offends or shocks you, then please bring it to our attention so we can deal with it.

Yes, we do drink beer. Copiously, even. To many people whose personal or religious beliefs do not prohibit alcohol, a cold microbrew on a hot summer day is one of life's simple pleasures. Combined with our favorite sport - what could be better. If that really bothers anyone, than this is not the tournament for you. We are very clear on all our promo materials: "This is a pro-beverage-of-choice event."

Quote:
The rules were very very lax and the TD's timeliness was so-so.

What rules were very very lax? We play by the PDGA rules. The only difference is that we decided a couple years ago to allow speed play, hopefully to, well ... speed up play. The course can bottleneck in a couple spots, so we thought about how we could get people around the course quicker. In speed play, you may opt to shoot from behind your disc as it lays (shooting with another disc obviously). You actually lose a few inches this way and you have to play a different disc than the one laying there, but some people don't care about that and it does make for a faster round. Jazz is very clear during the player's meeting about this rule. He even physically demonstrates what he is talking about, and he clearly states that you can NOT flip your disc forward. You can still mark with a mini and play your thrown disc if you prefer. That's our tournament rule -- it's not lax.

PDGA events do not allow beer drinking during play. Mainly because of the fact that the majority of our disc golf courses in the US are in city public parks where public consumption of alcohol is not allowed around kids on swingsets and so forth, so it would endanger the course to allow drinking during a tournament unless the park was reserved for the event. Our course is located on national forest land, and the USDA has no problem with people swilling beer in the forest as long as they pick up their trash. And our 'clubhouse' is the Trap Bar, so our host resort who owns the equipment we utilize to play our sport certainly doesn't mind if people decide to spend a little cash up there. Again, that's our tournament rule -- drinking is allowed.

Quote:
disc filpping was OK,

Disc flipping was not OK. If they were playing from behind their disc, that is speed play, not disc flipping. If they were flipping, then they should have been reminded that it was not allowed. Not everyone manages to pay good attention during the player meeting ... what can you do, especially the beginners are all excited and they go to lala land. It's up to the more experienced players to point out these things.

Quote:
some people weren't even marking at all and I know some scores in my groups were vastly under reported. courtesy was flexible and I actually hit a guy with a putt because he was going well out of turn.

Did you take a stroke when you hit that guy? Or did you decide to re-putt? How did your group work that out, and why didn't you explain what happened to Jazz to make sure you made the right scoring decision? I've never heard of a situation like that so I don't know for sure -- that'd have to be up to Jazz since he's the course pro and he's been playing since the Jurassic era, so perhaps he's seen this happen in a tourney. So this guy ran in front of the basket while you were shooting? I get upset when someone walks behind the basket when I'm shooting -- if they walked in front I'd probably have to throttle them. I need to hear that story sometime -- your round sounds like absolute mayhem.

You know, I'm sorry you had such a miserable scenario out there, but Jazz and I actually play in our event, so we can't be monitoring all the foursomes during play. We can't know about any of this if it is not brought to our attention. We expect our players who are all adults to self monitor their own foursomes by politely reminding players that they need to mark discs, not flip, not play out of turn, etc. If they say screw you and keep doing it, then they need to be DQed, but we can't deal with the situation if we don't know. We've never DQed anyone before, but we would if someone was being a jackass. Simply complaining about it on a message board after the fact does none of us any good. If there's nothing untoward happening in our foursomes and we hear no ill reports, we assume all is well. What else do you expect from us? Still, I'm sincerely sorry you had such a rotten time.

And just a comment about being a good person and promoter of our great sport of disc golf. It has been my honor and privilege over the years to have the opportunity to play with many novice disc golfers in tournaments, many of them women. Most of them are unclear on tournament rules and if they transgress, it's because they don't know, or perhaps they don't realize that even though we are pro-fun, they still have to mark their disc every time, even when their disc is literally lying on the base of the basket, etc. Many of them have never heard of such a thing as a falling putt, for instance, but they're grateful to learn because they want to do the right thing. (Jazz explains about falling putts in the player's meeting, btw, because we realize that a lot of times we have first-time tourney players, but people aren't always listening fully) Many novices don't know what to do if their disc is lying on the top of the basket, and sometimes they don't realize they can't just pick up a super close 'gimme' putt and walk away. Also if they have only played with friends, they might not realize that it's rude to walk around or talk while someone is putting or what have you. I explain almost every time that I'm such a crappy putter, I can't handle any kind of visual distraction behind the basket and people are always really respectful. It's up to us, the more seasoned players, to guide these people in a nice way so they understand what's expected, but they aren't left with the feeling that playing in a tournament is like signing up for Nazi bootcamp. They're just rules to make it consistent for everyone so it's a fair comparison of scores, and you know, just common courtesy because in a tournament, somebody in your group might really be working for a good score even if you don't really care about your own.

Quote:
we waited for the after events for a long time. they sent everyone up to play for a CTP prize ($300 grill) and no one came with to pick a tee. everyone stood around for 10 minutes looking like idiots.

Jim, I hope you realize how these particular statements make you sound. I realize you had a crappy day, but you're just looking for little petty reasons to hate us now. If you think standing around for 10 minutes before your shot at a $300 grill prize made you look like an idiot, then I say pull up your pampers and start behaving like a big boy.

I hate to leave it on that note. I thought you were a great guy -- I really liked your whole crew -- so I hope that was just a moment of insanity on your part. How could you not appreciate the PR genius who dreamed up the Ace Hardware Ace Prize and convinced the store manager to hand over a brand-new deluxe Weber gas grill? For the lofty purpose of helping a bunch of hooligans go up in the mountains, drink beer and throw little plastic discs around for fun? I'd been working on that for a couple years, you know, and this is the first year the manager finally said OKAY okay -- take your grill! Who is this PR genius and why is someone not paying her a million dollars a year? Why would you not thank this person, rather than slam her? Why all the hate, for heck's sake?!

Well I hope this clarifies a few things. We invite anyone who wants to have a good time and try to win our prizes and cash to join us this summer.

For a different perspective from Jim's review, here is the story I wrote for our local paper about last summer's tournament:

10th Annual Disc Golf Open Draws Large Crowd
By Karen and Jazz Russell, tournament directors

Banner weather greeted 66 disc golfers who gathered Saturday, July 28, for the 10th Annual Grand Targhee Disc Golf Open. Held on Grand Targhee's world-class 18-hole disc golf course, the tournament mingled locals with golfers from across the West for a day of good-natured competition and fun in the sun. Participants enjoyed refreshing beverages donated by Grand Teton Brewing Co., and division winners garnered prizes from many local businesses, as well as lift passes, vouchers for cat skiing and Bluegrass Festival tickets courtesy of Grand Targhee Resort.

For its tenth anniversary, the tournament kicked off a new prize with the Ace Hardware Ace Hole, where Teton Ace Hardware tempted golfers with a deluxe Weber gas grill for nailing a hole-in-one on #17. While quite a few discs smoked closely past the chains, none found the mark during tournament play, so the grill was awarded during an exciting closest-to-the-pin throw-off. From a hill overlooking the base area, each competitor lined up their best shot at the basket while a large crowd gathered around the target to cheer them on. Landing his disc just inches from the basket, Bozeman resident Steve Tolo was cooking with gas. Tolo also won third-place honors in the Men's Pro Masters Division, yet stated that winning the Ace Hardware Ace prize stood out as the high point of his tournament experience. During his acceptance speech, Tolo thanked his friends for convincing him to blow off another disc-golf tournament in Helena in favor of Targhee.

Former Teton Valley resident Brent Matthews aced hole #6 during round one to win a $40 ace pot and a day of cat skiing. Matthews, who now lives in the Salt Lake City area, also took second place in the Men's Pro Division and looks forward to returning to Targhee from bone-dry Utah this upcoming winter for a day of deep powder on Peaked Mountain.

Austin Nelson picked up two corndogs and a fountain drink from the Classic Stop by nearly launching his disc to Tetonia on hole #10. A frosty margarita from the nearby Randy Nordquist and Karen Russell Legendary Margarita Stand surely took the sting out of a long approach back to the pin.

Both Lance Clark and John Molofsky bested their first round scores by knocking nine strokes off in their second rounds, splitting the Most Improved Round prize of two new discs donated by Team Provo. Stephanie Swanson of Bozeman faithfully recorded a comedy of errors on hole #7 to score the prize for Worst Hole in the tournament and was awarded a Peaked Sports disc and Tibetan prayer flags courtesy of Big Hole Music. Her tally of seven on that hole was actually the lowest score to ever receive that dubious honor, so with a new putter and a roll of prayers in her golf bag, she'll surely be on a roll in the future.

The Targhee Open has developed a reputation as the most fun summer golf event in the region, so golfers from across the West pilgrimage to Teton Valley each summer to compete. Salt Lake City metro-area resident Kerry Fletcher was vacationing in Denver when he heard the tournament was about to kick off, so he altered his travel plans for a diversion to Alta, which garnered him the award for having traveled the furthest for the tournament. Although he landed just out of the prizes in Men's Advanced Amateur division, Fletcher claims he will return next summer with his A game.

The Men's Pro Masters Division was hotly contested with a first-place tie between Martin Bohn of Provo and Craig Myrick of Salt Lake City. The two decided the matter in a one-hole play-off, with Bohn claiming the first-place trophy when he canned his 12-foot putt for birdie. Steve Lloyd won the Men's Pro Division with two solid rounds and the low-score of the tournament. Stewart Todd came from behind to take first place in the Men's Advanced Amateur division, while there was never any doubt that Melissa Wheeler would maintain her title as Women's Advanced Amateur champion. Finally, Watts Barden displayed enough of his signature 'Wattusi' long-range putts to take first place in the Fun category.

RESULTS
Fun
1. Watts Barden 116
2. Pat Hall 120
3. Matt Larson 121
4. Christopher Hall 122
5. Brian Cynker 123
6. John Campbell 126
7. Bennett Taylor 128
8. Tim Hall 130

Women's Advanced Amateur
1. Melissa Wheeler 118
2. Karen Russell 126
3. Amanda Ransom 135
4. Mindy Hong 136
5. Cory Carlson 141
6. Stephanie Swanson 156
7. Melissa Pettit 159
8. Jess Hanna 160
9. Dana Noesen DNF
10. Monica Sherwood DNF

Men's Advanced Amateur
1. Stewart Todd 101
2. Mike Searle 104
3. Austin Nelson 105
4. Shellie Elliot 107
5. Paul Waati 108
5. Doug Self 108
5. Lance Gustaveson 108
8. Brandon Graham 109
9. Kerry Fletcher 110
9. Kerry Hong 110
11. Matt Dexheimer 112
12. Jim Noesen 113
13. Vernon Phinney 114
13. Justin Goudreau 114
13. Miles Baxter 114
16. Lance Clark 116
16. Matt Lewis 116
18. Matt Rothrets 117
19. Charles Hall 118
20. Zach Bennett 119
21. Jon Merryman 120
22. Sean Henry 121
22. Caleb Roberts 121
24. Todd Crowel 123
25. Brian Winters 124
26. John Molofsky 135

Men's Pro Masters (age 40 and up)
1. Martin Bohn 98
2. Craig Myrick 98
3. Steve Tolo 99
4. Jazz Russell 100
5. Derek Ford 104
5. Doug Smith (SLC) 104
7. Kevin Tolo 105
8. Doug Elgart 108
8. Rob Dallin 108
10. Bruce Waldo 109
11. Doc Watson 110

Men's Pro
1. Steve Lloyd 96
2. Brent Matthews 97
3. Kevin Hand 100
4. Andrew Schrum 101
5. Armand Walljasper 102
6. Paul Noesen 105
6. Austin Pettit 105
8. Doug Smith (IF) 107
9. Kelby Downey 108
10. Jeff Paradis 112
11. Mark Noesen 116
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detailed post. If i can score a ride, and have the weekend open i will definitely come. Sounds like my kind of tourny. Disc Golf For Fun!!!

-James
fiya79

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: let me re-clarify Reply with quote

WOW

Targhee is a great course and the local merchants support it well. (Which I belive is Karen's doing) I REALLY appreciate anyone that puts on a tournament because there is a lot of work, a little thanks and many people who would "do it different" if they got off their butts and did anything. I happen to be one of those guys.

I have no problems with alcohol at this tournament. I have no problems with beer in general: religous, moral or otherwise. I have no porblems with female TD's or women DGers in general. Ask my wife who was there. Karen was introduced to me as the assisant TD, I made no assumption. I played a round with Karen, if memory serves. She was very nice, a solid player and out drove me regularly.

If you go this year: (I will be out of the country)
Leave the kids at home
Don't play as bad as me so you're not on the bottom card.
Don't expect to come home before dark
expect some baked dudes

That should about solve it.

Please keep putting on the tourney.

a few direct replies:
--> I still don't understand the payout. but I don't really need to. I couldn't even see the payout from where I stood.
-->If you want to pay women out by your own chart that's fine, I just think it bore disclosure. My wife reaped that bounty.
-->I realize the problems with rules were by the players, not you.
-->I'm all in favor of leaving the mini in the bag for speed- it just wasn't clear to my second group what that meant, and they weren't hearing otherwise. it wasn't worth disturbing Jazz over, because no one shot well enough to matter.
-->the CTP prize was awesome. the organization concerning it was somewhat less so.
-->my putt- still went in.
--> my name- not Jim[/list]
kerry

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen,

I have played Targee the last 2 years and have had a good time. Please don't misinterpret what has been posted to read otherwise. I plan on attending this year. Besides the players pack, I have never "cashed" and I am fine with that.

My only comment is there is a lot of weed being passed around at the tournament. Certainly, there is no impression that the TD or sponsors endorse or in anyway condone this. I usually play 7-8 tournaments (pdga/non-pdga) a year in Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. The only times I have been offered weed during play have been at Targee. It is easy for me to decline and continue my round. The first year I played, the group I played with had to play through another group during the tournament because they were having technical difficulties with their pot pipe. Regardless of whatever our personal beliefs are, weed is illegal and I personally believe that the weed/disc golf connection does a disservice to the sport. I believe many of the sponsors, the county and the state would agree. The only way I would enjoy the tournament more would be for the TD to ask the players to not break the law during the rounds.

Running a tournament can be a thankless task, but I do appreciate that work and effort you and Jazz put into the event.

Kerry
mook

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen,

Sorry I missed last year. I had a family reunion conflict and I made sure that my family knew that last weekend in July is MINE for Targhee. It saddens me that I only get to play this course one weekend a year. I agree with Kerry that, even though it is not under your complete control, illegal substances should be well addressed before the event. I agree with Lance, and anyone who curses or drinks during a round with me know this about me too, I am LDS, and it doesn't offend me. I DON"T CARE! The only thing that pisses me off is that the guy who just downed a whole bottle of Jagermeister during the round is still beating me!!! Seriously! He had like 9 birds in a row!

So, I will be there, as usual. Just a little advice from a fellow TD veteran of 30 or more events. Just like you said, you can't make everyone happy. Just let it roll off your shoulders. If every negative remark about my tournaments warranted a 35 paragraph retort, I would have no time to run any tournaments.
gripnrip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen and Jazz; Brad Deffinger here. I just wanted to put my two cents in here.
Although I haven't been to the Targhee tourney the last two years I just want you both to know I wish I could have been there. This tourney has always been my favorite and though I don't go to Targhee to participate in the subtance usage I do go to meet some cool people, play in the awesome setting, and enjoy some of the best competition around.
There is always going to be a wait at the long downhill hole even if jazz puts a blank hole behind it at the shotgun start. At this hole you just plan on sitting back and chilling and laughing and complementing the big drives on the massive fairway.

My first year at this event I played in the Am division and tied for first place overall. This was my first year playing golf. My second year I was still playing Am as I (and everyone else) thought my score was a fluke, however I tied for first again, (Targhee has been bery bery goot to me). At the award ceremony I was getting a raft of "bagger" from the majority of the players, and when it came time for my score and place to be announced I really thought it was going to get ugly. Jazz proved to be the finest of TD,s in explaining to the crowd my situation and congratulating me on my score and giving me my prize with a handshake, smile and a round of applause.
Jazz and Karen have always made good hosts and TD's, I hope they continue to run a fun tourney in an awesome locale.
By the way in my third year playing golf I went pro, I have never played in tourney in the Advanced division.
gripnrip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Keyy's point Reply with quote

I just thought I needed to add that what kerry said in his post was valid and correct. I voice my opposition to the usage of illegal substance not just during play, but ever, whether I agree with the law or not, wether I think it' harmful or not.

I hope I am still welcome to play in this fun tourney. There are too many major positives at this event to deter me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Results All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: