9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hole 5 at Ross Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where should we put the tee box?
Back and to the right of the current spot about 10 feet back?
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Use half road and half box, keeping in mind that the transition from road ot brick will be hard to pull off?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Back by the pine trees on the flat area about 40 ft?
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Don't Care where it goes?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Hole 5 at Ross Park Reply with quote

I wanted to get people's opinion on the number 5 teebox. I want to move it back to the pine trees on the flat area, but it does bring the memorial into play forcing either a huge hyzer over the poles ( which is very hard given that you need to get the distance to). I tried a couple of times and came up short. This will force either a anhyzer or a forehand shot and makes it a really hard two and decent three.

Cast your vote now, or don't complain about it when it gets moved.

Randy already has the frame made for the teebox, we just need to put it somewhere.

Caleb Wolfe
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it needs to go back and to the right a bit. Whether it's 10,20,30,or 40 feet, I don't really care. I would like to suggest that when it's placed, you need to have a good look at the basket from the front of the tee-pad.
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: longer=better Reply with quote

however.....we do have to consider the memorial. a disc flying through/over is a real insult to some people. my boss is very concerned about conflicts there. going back to john's question from not long ago would moving it back call for a mando? if it did, would the casual/drunk player comply? I'd be totally happy with a mandatory there as a consistent FH player but would a striclty BH player feel the same?

when a concensus is reached let me know before install so I can get it oked.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there would be a problem with casual players/beginners playing over/through the memorial if we have a straight look at the basket. Every beginner player I ever knew wanted to go straight at the basket, not take what looked like the long way around. It's the power players that know they can huck it high and hard to the right and let the disc glide to the basket that will have the problems playing over the memorial.

I think that the closer we place the pad to the basket the better there is for a hole that will accomodate botht the power players and the beginners. This indicates the 10ft back solution rather than the 40ft back solution. What we really need to do is meet out there and throw some discs.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it is bad idea to have the tee in an area where people might throw into the memorial. that will not make people happy.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out there and looked things over tonight. There were TONS of people playing, mostly very casual players playing with nonstandard discs. I saw one guy get hit and had to be taken to the hospital by a couple of his friends. There is a serious lack of people respecting the rules, and I doubt if half of the people playing even knew that there were rules to the game. It was a bit chaotic, but it was very nice to see just how much use the park was getting. What I couldn't understand was why the bathrooms were locked at 7pm with that many people in the park.

That being said, I believe that the tee-pad can't be placed any further back than about 10ft before you bring the memorial into definite play and no matter what you do to show that people should not play through it they are going to do it any way.

The road also had constant use and I feared for a couple of people getting their discs out of the road on hole 6. I really can't see how we could put a tee-pad on the road with any modicum of safety.
tkase

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Hole 5 Reply with quote

I think the Memorial is a serious issue when considering moving the tee pad. I was playing there and asked a few casual players that I played with about moving the pad. They both expressed concern about people playing through the Memorial. Every time that I am out at Ross Park, there are people (albeit very few) playing with no concern to others. This being said, there WILL be people who disrespect the Memorial and give the course and disc golfers a bad name if the line of site to the hole is through the Memorial.
disglfr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the basket is framed through the gap in the trees from the teepad, I'm happy. It's just an asthetic thing for me.

As far as closer to or farther back goes, I'd prefer farther back. Nice to have at least one other hole over the 300ft mark on the course.

I wonder how the city would look upon some donated foliage to the park? My thought being that some small border hedge bushes along the eastern side of the tee-pad could make the memorial background prettier. (I've heard rumors of some memorial attendees complaining about our big dirt spot) Also, if the tee pad were placed further back, perhaps we could plant a few trees along the right to push thowers to the center and left thus protecting the memorial.

Just some ideas.
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: teepad 5 decision Reply with quote

the pad should be place in the gravel margin and perhaps slightly into the grass further from the hole than the current dirt space. I moved the boulders and brought some bircks down. anyone willing to take on this project can do so now.

The decision heavily weighs in the memorial and this position essentially takes it out of play for all but the worst possible shot. It also eliminates the need to do significant earth moving/reatining wall construction. The hole plays essentially the same. I believe this was actually closer to the original intent but the dirt space just creeps up slowly.

I moved enough boulders to give room in front of and in back of a pad and give some lattitude in palcing it to 'frame the basket' between the trees.

Please discontinue play fromt he dirt spot and allow it to regrow. And spread the word.

Does somebody want to pick a date and time and we'll knock this thing out?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to help. Either a saturday morning or thursday evening would be best for me.
disglfr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pitch in Saturday morning if you're going Jemmett. I think I've got a handle on enough of Randy's tee pad expertise that we could make something respectable.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: saturday? as in during caleb's tourney? Reply with quote

I'm busy. you should be too. I'd help just about any other day.

lance
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: bad news Reply with quote

hole 5 lost some distance today. my boss asked it to be moved forward as he has gotten a lot of calls and visits from veterans about the course.

It seems they are just more vocal than us.

Brandon was out there while I was looking at it with my boss and we stood firmly in the make it longer camp- but we were vetoed. the new pad is about 20 feet in front of the oldest dirt spot. I will move boulders to prep the area early next week.

sorry to lose more distance, I did what I could.

Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: