7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

future mink creek course(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: future mink creek course(s) Reply with quote

I just wanted everybody to know that I am still in the process of working with the forest service to get summer use of the nordic center approved.

Here is the ideal thing:
the current rental office would be cleaned out and made available as a bunk house rental cabin.
A new rental office is built closer to the parking lot. (this doesn't really change disc golf)
The trail system would be graded and cleaned up for mountain bikers and hikers.
We put in one 18 hole course, for spring/summer/fall. It should play at a high level, but probably have blue and gold tees so average joe doen't give up the sport.
The design of the first leaves plenty of room for a second 18 hole course in and out of the base area.
The area gets a prescribed burn perhaps next year to clear out some of the more mangled underbrush, and persistent thorns.

in a few (5?) years Pocatello is ready to be a disc golf destination and A-tier stop!
Here's what I need to know for now for the forest service and my budgeting process-
cost of baskets: 18 and 36
cost of tee pad materials: 18, 36 and 72 pads
potential economic impact of an a-tier
what resources does the club have available?
Is anyone opposed?

Just as a note cal ranch has some material out front they are calling trailer mats. They look like fly 18 tee pads to me, at half the cost. would somebody else stop by and tell me what you tink of it?
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance,

Obviously I do not have any objections. I think it would be sweet, and think we should add a driving range. It would be really cheap to get som plywood and paint footage marks on them and let people practice.

Here is the link for info on the disc golf baskets.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discatcher/pro.html

Depending on the club officers I think there could be a lot of resources available. It depends on how the officers want to distribute the money and what fundraisers they might be willing to do.

I think we could round up enough volunteers when it cam to labor for the course. I am the varsity coach with the scouts and know that I would be able to round up some eagle projects when needed.

Economic potential would take a little more research. But I did think that a good idea for a big tourny up there would be to have a coca cola trailer ran by the club which sold drinks and hamburgers or something like that. There would be hotel accomodations so that would contribute to the economy here in pocatello, but like I said we would need to do a little more research on the numbers as far as proposing something.

I will check out the pads at cal ranch.

Caleb Wolfe
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that has played with me knows that I love the idea of having at least 18 holes at Mink Creek. My input to help this idea fly would be to talk to the guys that run the Solitude Challenge down in Salt Lake. That is the nearest A-tier event, so they would likely have a good idea as far as economic impact for the area. I'll do a little digging around for some stats for A- and B-tier events to see if we can throw some raw numbers in front of the decision makers.

P.S. - Labor will not be a problem, I guarantee it.

Austin
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: time table Reply with quote

after meeting with the forest service it looks like there is quite a long process for this. my winter permit needs expanded, this requires a full environmental impact assesment. This will likely cost 5-10 thousand dollars. Sad It will alsao likely take about 2-3 years for th whole process to happen. So hang tough.

Lance
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance,

I was wondering if there is anything that we can do to help the process along. We perhaps should take some measures now to start saving for pads and baskets. If it turns out that the city will provide those then we can use the money to do other things for the course, or perhaps add the money to the first A-Tier event.

I was thinking that next year, if Brandon is Ok, we could start a donation box for the mink creek course at all of his tournaments. I figure that if each player put in a dollar like the ace pot, then we could get a couple hundred each year just from that. Then we could start some other charity tournaments which provide money for the mink creek course.

I would hate to see 5 years pass and still be in the same boat that we are now. Please let me know if there is anything that we can do to help. Maybe give a detailed economic outlook for an A-tier event if still needed.

By the way, do you have another trail map, I couldn't find it on the website.

Thanks,

Caleb Wolfe
staatsy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: time table Reply with quote

fiya79 wrote:
after meeting with the forest service it looks like there is quite a long process for this. my winter permit needs expanded, this requires a full environmental impact assesment. This will likely cost 5-10 thousand dollars. Sad It will alsao likely take about 2-3 years for th whole process to happen. So hang tough.

Lance

Not sure if the process is started, but the engineering firm I work for can provide environmental impact assessments. Don't know if I could pull any strings as far as cost, but I could do what I can. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out on this front.

Eric S.
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: mink creek Reply with quote

I think it is smart to start looking down the road for this. I am working to expand my permit season. I am going to try to avoid the E.I.A. by not building any new buildings.
I don't see the city coming up with much money here. It is going to be up to the club. I would guess the cost for 18 will be in the $6000 range plus free labor for one set of tees. Additional tees would be about $1000 for nice ones. There may be additional costs to build and install fence crossings at all appropriate places as well. I don't see this as totally out of range if that is a priority of the club. A fund raising tournament, some discs, some donors, some other events and bam, another 18 in Pocatello.

This all being said... I vote to work on sister city first because the city will likely fund that almost entirely, and it can be done this year. In the mean time I'll keep plugging away on the forest service process.
staatsy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Costs Reply with quote

So, $6k for 18 holes? That's pads and baskets? Signs? That's less than $500 per hole. This is just an idea, but ever think about sponsored holes? You could offer that the sponsor would be recognized somehow at the course - for example - either at the hole location (sign map) or at the beginning of the course (if there's a bulletin board or over-all course map). Or you could set a donation/reward scale up - something like for $250 the company gets recognition at the trail head, $500 gets recognition at trail head and at a particular hole, etc etc.

Just an idea. I would imagine that there are enough local companies that would be willing to help out.

Eric
discgolf101

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely the way to go. At Ann Morrison in Boise, the club was able to get sponsors for each hole, making the installation of the back nine fairly pain free once we had the go ahead from the city.

$500-$600 and you get advertising for the life of the course. Businesses are all about having their name in local venues showing their support for the community.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: mink creek Reply with quote

fiya79 wrote:
I think it is smart to start looking down the road for this. I am working to expand my permit season. I am going to try to avoid the E.I.A. by not building any new buildings.
I don't see the city coming up with much money here. It is going to be up to the club. I would guess the cost for 18 will be in the $6000 range plus free labor for one set of tees. Additional tees would be about $1000 for nice ones. There may be additional costs to build and install fence crossings at all appropriate places as well. I don't see this as totally out of range if that is a priority of the club. A fund raising tournament, some discs, some donors, some other events and bam, another 18 in Pocatello.

This all being said... I vote to work on sister city first because the city will likely fund that almost entirely, and it can be done this year. In the mean time I'll keep plugging away on the forest service process.

Please don't underbudget yourselves. When I do an up front estimate (not bid) on a course, I start at $1000 per hole, including target, one tee pad (concrete or rubber, properly installed) and sign. This allows enough surplus to pay for a course sign and next-tee signs. This does not cover design time or construction time, often donated.

Steel is getting more expensive so I anticipate that target prices from all manufacturers to be going up within the year. Concrete is also becoming more expensive, so tees that were $100 in materials are getting closer to $150.

Please let me know if I can help you with estimating and pricing out a course project. EIS will also add considerably to this.

jon

Jon Lyksett
Hummingbird Disc Golf
(208) 785-8915
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: