6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Formerly the LWO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discgolf101

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Formerly the LWO Reply with quote

Hi there. I've spoken with Steve L., and he has decided to step down from Running the LWO this year as there are numerous factors playing into his decision.

I have been asked by the GSDG to run an similar event (PDGA Sanctioned) in leiu of this event. I am pretty excited about running something like this, but wanted to get some feedback as to whether there is more interest in a two-day or one-day event. I really don't want anyone to feel excluded, so I'd like to get some input.

I am more of a fan of the two-dayers as I just like playing more discgolf for my money. That and there are the other factors like people traveling and whatnot. However, I do understand that people with lives actually may have other obligations outside of disc golf, and therefore may not be able to attend a two-day event. In case you were wondering, the weekend is that of May 10, 2008.

This is going to be part of the Idaho Grand Slam, so it must be sanctioned, and will hopefully be drawing a pretty significant crowd (and not just Idahoans). If you're not familiar wth the Grand Slam, it is based off of points over a series of tournaments. Winners in the Pro and Am divisions each get their entry into the following year's Worlds. Last year we had people coming out from Montana, Utah (of course), Washington, and Oregon.

So, give me you thoughts. I have no problem running the event either way, and will run with the majority on this one. I have also put out a feeler on another forum, so if you want see opinions from the other side of the state, check it out...

http://www.teamoverthetop.com/forum/
fiya79

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: LWO 11 Reply with quote

I think steve ran a successful tornament for a lot of reasons and payout wasn't a big one of them.

LWO was all about family. a lot of jr's and women came out and threw. I think being a 1 day event makes it easier to haul my little family down and still get back to pcoatello before midnight. The southerm idaho championships (SIC) have been on my radar, but I never have 2 days to burn right then. I could make it to one day or the other, I would like to play for 2 days but just don't often have the time. I also like to play at least one round with my wife so we can take care of the tike easier. I don't play better but it makes the day easier, and lets her play too.
I went to the treasure valley cup @ eagle island this year and it was a nice course, and well run, but by the end of the tournament a lot of the smoking, drinking and bong hits were getting old. I have a low tolerance for secondhand annoyances and beligerent people. I do appreciate beating drunk people who were previously playing well, but that's not enough to put up with them all day.

all that aside, I am pretty free in May, typically, so do whatever you want. any tournament is still good if the TD cares at all.

Lance
mook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, would this tournament also replace the Southern Idaho Championship that is already in the Grand Slam Series, or are they going to have two Walcott events in the series?

Here is my thoughts. If you want to have continued success running this event, don't change the name and don't change the format. This tournament always was a mom and pop tournament, but thats what made it unique. Granted, we would love to have more payout and less bouncy balls, but not if it sacrifices the one tournament a year we get to hear to pros complain about playing with 2 girls and a junior in the first round:0
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should move this tournament to Bengal Ridge. Especially if there is already a tourny at Walcott that is part of this series.

If you're not going to move it... my vote is for two day.
ScottW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to this event: If my wife was not graduating from physical thereapy school in Pocatello and if I were not graduating (finally) in a different state and were actually able to entertain the idea of playing this event I personally would love to see a 2 day B-tier made out of it - that's my selfish poin of view. I played the LWO in 2006 as my first ever sanctioned tourney and it was great. I did enjoy getting to play both rounds with my wife which is rare. That is something that is more to her liking than mine, though I am fine with it on occasion. I will admit the reason I am a PDGA member and play in tourneys is not necessarily to play with my wife, though it is an added bonus when it happens. Also, that 06 LWO was the first time that I (we) met Lance, Mindy, and Kerry, that was another added benefit and I still enjoy the rare round of playing with any of them. That said I like big well run tournaments and 2-day tourneys put any avid disc golfer's mental and physical fortitude to the test. I vote for a 2 day event.

In regard to the Idaho Grand Slam Series: I think the SIC should stay where it's at, it is a great tourney and is one of few that makes me consider driving down to it from Missoula, or soon from North Idaho. I will have to agree with James that Bengal Ridge needs to have an event in the Grand Slam Series. Bengal is such a wasted commodity, it is so under-utilized it is sad, part of that has to do with the fact that Pocatello's disc golf scene doesn't seem to be growing at the pace of other areas and because some people think the course is just too hard. That is exactly why it should be utilized though. It will help the sport grow in Pocatello and it will force people out of their comfort zones. Begal Ridge is a gem Exclamation On another note I think that the IGS should actually be made state-wide and not just be a rotating southern Idaho thing. I understand that there are some sweet courses in southwestern and southeastern Idaho but Farragut State Park is arguably the nicest disc golf attraction in the state with 2 18 hole courses with top of the line baskets and cement tee pads, and alternate pin placements - not to mention the 9 hole pitch and putt and the fact that the City of Coeur d'Alene is getting ready to install an 18 hole course at Cherry Hill that should be ready in the spring. Add that to Corbin Park and you could have some sweet course combinations for a sanctioned tourney in North Idaho. Bring on an actual state-wide series - Montana does it, and Montana is a huge state to travel in Troy to Billings has to be over 600 miles. Washington also does it. Just my 2 cents though, there a a number of qualified individuals in North Idaho who would be willing to help run a series tournament and sanction it. You don't want all the southern Idaho guys to have all the fun do you Question
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Walcott Open is the one tournament I truly look forward to each year. It's the opening of the disc golf season for me, and I love being able to relax in the family friendly environment.

Thanks Steve for all you and your family did to help us beginners come together and enjoy a great day of discgolf.

In response to your question, I would love it if you could continue to expand on the wonderful recipe that Steve had for a great tournament. Keep it 1 day, keep it family friendly, let the beginners have a taste of what a disc golf tournament should be like.

Just my two cents
John
RobBull

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Mothers Day Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is that the weekend of the LWO has always been Mother's Day. There is no way I would ever play an event on Mothers day (no matter the course, payout, players pack). That is one day that nothing has priority over, especially if I want to continue living. I think that would impact the turnout big time.

The LWO was one event that I felt comfortable bringing the family to. Steve always made it a family friendly tournament and catered to that aspect. He didn't put up with some of the crap that goes on at some tournaments. He catered to beginers and people new to sport. It was always fun to see entire families playing together (like the Larsens). The LWO was all about fun and having a good time.

Sometimes we get hung about payouts and fierce competition and lose sight that disc golf is supposed to be fun. The LWO always filled way in advance because it was a different type of tournament. The entry fees were also really low. I can imagine the PDGA had a problem with the format of the event (mixed & family groupings). The event was filling years before PDGA sanctioning came along. I can imagine that it would fill in the future without sanctioning. I'm sad to see Steve step down. Thanks for your time Steve and the way you made the event a special one.

To me, it doesn't matter if an event is part of series or is PDGA sanctioned. I never play expecting a payout (probably because I suck!) I play to have fun! The LWO was always fun!
ScottW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob brings up some very good points about timing - Mother's Day being one problem and graduation being another. Another point that would hinder attracting Montana folks down there is the fact that this tourney is held the same day as the Zoo Town Open in Missoula which is turning into a rather large C-tier that draws people from all over Montana and into north Idaho and eastern Washington. I know the Montana folk would be more inclined to head for Missoula than to Walcott for a C-tier, but if the date were changed and it was made a larger tournament than the Garden City Flyers would probably come out in force. I know some of the GCF club members made the trip down to Boise last year for the Treasure Valley Cup and I know that if the tourneys get bigger they will draw more players from Montana. Plus, who wouldn't want to watch, or play against Christian Dietrich Question He's only a 1000 rated player Shocked

I guess ultimately it depends on what your goal is for this tournament. If you want to keep it a small family friendly affair than target that and maybe drop the sanctioning, if you want it to grow than consider drawing big name player, expanding the format and the payout, and just go for big. I say go for big but if the masses want a family event than go for that.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that changing the LWO to an event in a bigger series would be fun, but it would be completely opposite the original purpose of the event. The LWO has always been an event geared towrds enjoying the game, and not towards winning the game. If we make it part of a series, the competition level is automatically ramped to a much higher level. How much fun will it be for newbies and kids? This event always served as a kind of "break" from the competitive tourneys during the rest of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing big tourneys where the competition is off the charts. But the LWO was always a quick breather between tourneys that reminded the whole disc golf community that this is still a game of fun, not winning.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here is my thoughts. If you want to have continued success running this event, don't change the name and don't change the format. This tournament always was a mom and pop tournament, but thats what made it unique. Granted, we would love to have more payout and less bouncy balls, but not if it sacrifices the one tournament a year we get to hear to pros complain about playing with 2 girls and a junior in the first round:0

Keeping the name the same is not an option and in regards to format that is not really an option either. The PDGA has decided that if you are going to elect to play in a family group you can't place in the top 4 of your division. The first round would be alright, but if you wanted to play for any prize you would have to play a second round with your appropriate group. If you did not you would essentailly be taking a DNF for the second round. This is the way that I understand it.

Caleb Wolfe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: