10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ross Park improvements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Ross Park improvements Reply with quote

great job with the tee pad on #8. I was playing a round and thought somebody was pilfering bricks, then....8 had a pad. I also like the fill-ins around the basket pads. An eagle scout plans to do 1,4,6,7 soon so that leaves 2 and 5.

Here's what I'm thinking on 5. We move one of the giant rock and use the road as the approach and and add just a corner of bricks that face the pin. there is a sprinkler in the way of the 'planned' pad.

on 2 it needs to be mowable without stopping and no weed eating, so it may have to slope a bit and/or be recessed?

the dirt under the tree on 7 was awesome.

where do we stand on signs?

Lance
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: another major need Reply with quote

Would anyone be interested in tackling a sign board for Ross Park. ideally it would be large (4'X4'?), mount to the restrooms, be lockable, be vandal resistant (or easily repairable) and make the course easier for first timers to find. the club could also use it for communication/advertising and tourneys.

I ordered a commercially made version for the climbing area down below, but it was over $700. It is a great template now. I think that disc golf money would be better spent elsewhere.

Lance
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: number stain Reply with quote

great job on the pad numbers. who was it?

i'm still working on 5. it will likely be painted road or a diagonal road/brick combo thing. we've gotten alot of complaints from vets about the impact of the dirt spot/ visiaul impact of the pad.

Lance
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy Nordquist at the advice of Brady went out and did some experimenting with some stain on Wednesday evening. He said it was so easy to do that he just stuck around and did all the pads that evening. Turned out really well!

Is there any way we can not use the road? I really have reservations about doing that, for safety sake alone.

I would like to see about the possibility of putting in a regular pad on the flat part of the hill back from the cut/dirt area about 20ft. It's a nice flatish area, and you can see the basket framed beautifully between 2 cottonwood trees. My only concern would be whether we could miss any pipes running through the ground.
disglfr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way the stain has settled into the bricks to give them a darker, dustier, but not painted look now. A round of drinks to Randy.

Tee signs. I need to get off my butt and get something laid out as an idea starter. I think once a sign design has gone through me, Jemmett and Steve Larsen, we'd have something respectable to proceed with.

Pad 5. I hear ya Lance. That dirt wear isn't looking pretty there, especially for the memorial patrons. I put a note in another post of some ideas for some eastern side hedge/bushes along the side of wherever the tee-pad ends up. I think with a bit of carefully placed foliage, we could make it a lovely view for the memorial folk. I also agree with John J, I don't feel good about the tee pad on the road. Especially with the number of young (and I mean young! like 3-) who play around with the families.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: alternate pins at ross??? Reply with quote

well there is one advantage to having taken a long time to get ross park signs and pads rolling. I think it is time to consider putting in some alternate pin placements. I really really like the course as is but I think there are some things to consider:

the areas asround the holes are getting trampled pretty thoroughly. hole one has a bare circle forming 3 feet out.

Having new holes once in a while could mix it of for mark lansang since he plays 4 rounds a day.

the new pin placements could be a little tougher. claeb might take a whole month to play -9 again.

the donation box yielded about $130 and I think that could about cover it.

some suggestions:

hole 1- further back, halloween style.
hole 2- behind the pine
hole 3- halloween style again, further, lower
hole 4- closer to the road?? or behind the right pine tree
hole 5- probably stuck with the one now, few good alternatives.
hole 6- ok, no wear on the rocks!
hole 7- deeper in the woods, much deeper.
hole 8- on top of the rocks, beyond current placement
hole 9- halloween style, deep right

nice job on pad 5 btw. it looks awesome.
ScottW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my thoughts

Hole 1 - move it left to the tree that is straight across from the basket and push the basket back 20-30ft
Hole 2 - WAY BACK, past the pine tree. Put it deep in the area behind hole 3 tee - to the left of the playground
Hole 3 - back and right, tucked behid the other big tree
Hole 4 - move right, between the two pine trees, or bring it short and left behind the other pine tree
Hole 5 - not sure, just another location, maybe closer to the road to make putting OB possible
Hole 6 - straight right over the edge into the junk, there are some feasable lines in there
Hole 7 - back and into the junk right
Hole 8 - straight back, burry it deep back there, make good players have to reach for a 3
Hole 9 - WAY RIGHT

Just my 2 cents. Would be cool to see some alternate placements.
mook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is right in line with the way the the Ross Park Evening League will be played next year. Even if there are no new pin placements, we will be playing 9 holes of the regular course and nine holes of alternate tee pads (because we cant move pins in between rounds).

Obviously, alternate tee pads are not going to help wear around the baskets so if we had alternate pin placements, we could play a different course every week and wouldn't have to resort to painting alternate pads. This would be much easier for me to run league each week. Here's my three cents on the placements.

Hole 1: 25 feet closer to the road (Halloween Style) or directly behind the tree stump.
Hole 2: Directly behind pine tree so it is not in the way of the "volleyball court" or hole 3.
Hole 3: 20 feet past last weeping willow (a little bit farther out than Halloween placement)
Hole 4: In between and just past two pine trees on the right.
Hole 5: Just left of the path and just short of the road.
Hole 6: Hard one, I would say directly west of the currently placement right on the edge of the grass.
Hole 7: 30 - 50feet farther back on dirt path between 7 and 8.
Hole 8: On top of the cliff behind/above current placement.
Hole 9: Deep far right.
ScottW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all of the ideas so far but I think having a (possibly third) long-long placement for hole 2 way back and to the left of the playground would work fine for early and late in the year when the volleyball court and playground are not in use. Corbin Park in Post Falls has a hole like this. The final hole (hole 15) plays over a small corner of the tee-ball field for the short and middle placements but there is actually a third sleeve in a long position that is used in late fall, over the winter, and into the spring when nobody uses the ballfield. This long placement adds about 100 feet to an already difficult hole and that placement actually plays over the first-base dugout. I have actually never played this position but love the idea of having it there, same with a long placement on hole 2 at Ross. Just a though.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we not print the tee-signs until this discussion is concluded?

What do you want to see on the tee signs? We paid a survey crew to come out and measure the distance from pad to pin and the elevation change, but if we put in alternate pins, we'll have to do that again.

It costs a little over $20 per sign, so we don't want to be recreating them very often.

Here's the info we just got. All measurements in feet:
Code:

Hole Length    Elevation
1    238.38    -06.26
2    205.07    +06.63
3    320.67    -15.13
4    204.49    +22.43
5    271.79    -18.26
6    262.12    +15.09
7    184.53    +01.36
8    247.68    -06.24
9    322.29    +03.47
TOTAL

pole vaulter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion would be to wait on making the signs. If they do make alternate pin placements you would want that on the sign so people don't get confused.

As far as the ideas for alternate pin placements go... i think everyone is coming up with some great ideas. This will be a nice upgrade for this course.
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: all in favor say 'ace' Reply with quote

It sounds like everyone is basically on the same page as far as alternate placements. The parks guys ok'd more pin pads in their last meeting. there seems to be wide recognition that the course is the hottest thing in town as far as parks.

I wish I would have known about the suvey crew. Just curious, How much does that cost?

I think We should wait on tee signs until things are settled. We could make some temporary ones with the info we have for now just to act like things are rolling along.

I will be gone this weekend including fri so I just wanted to put in my words of wizzdom for now. we can meet and pick pins if the weather holds, maybe mix some concrete if the weather is really nice.

I'm really excited; particularly about putting 8 on that cliff and 7 back in the trees. I haven't had a 4 on #7 for ages, and wish it were a bit harder. I often 4 #8 and look forward to more 6's.

on another note: Is there a winter club meeting and do i owe dues yet?

Lance
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: and one more thing Reply with quote

There is no way #8 is only 6 feet down.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: all in favor say 'ace' Reply with quote

fiya79 wrote:
It sounds like everyone is basically on the same page as far as alternate placements. The parks guys ok'd more pin pads in their last meeting. there seems to be wide recognition that the course is the hottest thing in town as far as parks.

Glad to hear that it's recognized! I always seem to have to wait a bit to tee off whenever I go.

fiya79 wrote:

I wish I would have known about the suvey crew. Just curious, How much does that cost?

We received a special discount from the ISU survey club. The club paid for it. I'll tell you the price off-line. It was set up by Steve, and we could probably do it again for the same price next spring?

fiya79 wrote:

I think We should wait on tee signs until things are settled. We could make some temporary ones with the info we have for now just to act like things are rolling along.

Ok, I'll put printing them on the back burner. I'll just continue to do some of the graphical design (how trees look, fonts, borders etc...

fiya79 wrote:

I'm really excited; particularly about putting 8 on that cliff and 7 back in the trees. I haven't had a 4 on #7 for ages, and wish it were a bit harder. I often 4 #8 and look forward to more 6's.

We really need to get a load of dirt and make the bump bigger. I think that would take care of some of the tree trimming effect, taking it from a par 2 back to a par 3.

fiya79 wrote:

on another note: Is there a winter club meeting and do i owe dues yet?

Lance

Yes there is a winter club meeting. Steve is getting the details together for it. We will probably be meeting in the Newberry building downtown for this one.

fiya79 wrote:
There is no way #8 is only 6 feet down.

The lay of the land is deceptive, I'll give you that. It rises and falls between the pad and the pin. But, yes it was surveyed by professionals, and that's what they told us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: