6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soda tourny 7-24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staatsy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, Mook. Great pics. Can't wait to play!

I do especially like that the web site lists no posted aces for the 586-foot hole.

How is scoring going to work for the tourney? Are you playing by the posted pars? Or everything is par 3?

Eric
English101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think regardless of the posted "par" you gotta play all 3's.

I also think that everyone but the women's/junior divisions should play the longer tees.

Make the scrubs like me earn it. It also makes it easier to compare my score with other players from other divisions.
mook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to a NUDGA women's player who will be there She wanted to play shorter tees. I think its a long and tough course, if the divisions that typically throw more per hole play the shorter tees it should even things out. I will also have my truck and can haul a couple groups up the road to like holes 11, 12, 14. this might help spread the groups around so there is no bottlenecking.

Why do disc golfers care about par? There is no standard system like in ball golf. It all depends on how many times you throw per hole anyway. Why do we care? Someone please answer me this! Its just like at the Brigham City course someone decided to go make pars on the holes. A 250 foot downhill hole that I use a putter on was posted as a par 4. WTFrick! Theres no system!....(pant pant pant)....rant over.
staatsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mook wrote:

Why do disc golfers care about par? There is no standard system like in ball golf. It all depends on how many times you throw per hole anyway. Why do we care? Someone please answer me this! Its just like at the Brigham City course someone decided to go make pars on the holes. A 250 foot downhill hole that I use a putter on was posted as a par 4. WTFrick! Theres no system!....(pant pant pant)....rant over.

I guess that means everything's a 3. Smile
English101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the womens, junior, and rec division should play the shorter tees.

As an intermediate player: the first year we played the short tees, the second year we played the longer tees.

While it was hard, this course will eat everyone's plastic. I enjoyed the challenge of the longer tees. I felt like it didn't take that much longer. (I guess maybe that is a good sign that I'm getting better, but it seems kind of lame to play the short tees if you don't have too, the majority of them are not very interesting.)

Honestly, I think a great deal of what makes the course fun is lost on the shorter tee boxes.

Having played tourneys at both and getting my butt handed to me I still would rather feel like I faced the same course as everyone else.

Intermediate players love to see if they might be ready to "move up", the only way to do that is if we play the same course.

I totally agree on the par thing...who cares, but please oh please oh please

DON'T MAKE US RIDE THE KIDDIE COASTER, IT MAY KILL US, BUT WE WANT TO PLAY THE FULL SIZED BEAST.
mook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, as I recall, you are a co-co-co-co TD as well, so I think your vot e counts. And, if it means that much to you, I am on your side. So, thats 2 votes for long tees for Intermediates.
mook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I don't mind where 12 is, but I do think 8 should be moved. Its more difficult for sure, but is a signature placement in my opinion.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be the odd man out, but I think everything being a par 3 is one of the drawbacks of the sport. There are too many courses in which you drive then putt. I really like a course that makes you think about throwing where you want to place a shot to set up for your second shot. Then that shot better be on target if you want to get a 3. This is where I think future courses need to go. Soda is a good start. Hole 5 should definitely be a par 4 as well as hole 14 if not a par 5. I totally understand the idea that par does not matter in the way that we score things. My point would be not so much do we have to establish a set par but that we need longer holes on courses that have the space available. At Soda for instance I still base my scoring on par 54. I figure if I can shoot 2 to 4 under that would be a good score.

My two cents

Caleb Wolfe
English101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 8 should be around the corner to the left. (I think that is what you mean). It is a tougher shot, and that corner will eat a lot of plastic.

I don't know where the other placement is for 13. Guess I don't really care there. Should we call the parks and rec guy and get the key or ask him to move baskets?
mook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just move 8. 12 is like a 180 foot hole. Moving it makes it alot easier.

Caleb, ditto on the philisophical thinking, but until there is some sort of standard parring system, it doesn't matter to me. Another guy can come up to those same holes and say they are par 5's and 7's according to his skill level.

I think Soda is a rare instance where you have the space you need for these kind of holes. I do like the longer holes that make you think about more than "how do I get this one in two". But even with the space needed there are only 2 - 4 holes that play to a long approach.

The great disc golf courses aren't always the one that are the longest either. Its also the ones you know you can drive to, but its a trick to get a good putt at it, and if you get off the fairway, its even trickier to find par (which is 3). Its not ball golf, nor do I want it to be. I think a good mix of 4-5 200 - 300 foot holes, 10 - 11 300 - 400 foot holes, and 4-5 holes over that is an ideal course.

My three cents.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Caleb and Mook. Take Freeman for example. It has three holes that require a good drive and a decent approach to have a shot at 3. These holes make Freeman more interesting. But it also has the technical shots on Hole 4 and 6 to keep the finesse game in tune.

As far as par is concerned, look at the British Open this last weekend at St. Andrews. There are several holes at St. Andrews that the average pro could drive the green, yet they were still considered par 4's. Par exists, at least for pros, to track their score against other players at any point in the round. It is much easier to say that you are two strokes off the lead than to say you need to shoot a 10 over the next 4 to catch the leader.

I think the best course will be a blend of technical and distance to challenge all aspects of the game. Soda is a good place to start. But Soda illustrates one additional feature that may be necessary - B-tees. These B-tees make the course playable for the casual player. It also gives them a place to start while they get better and try to play from the A-tees.

Tha being said, I think the Intermediate division should play from the big boy tees.
staatsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, agree with Caleb and Mook - there do need to be holes that aren't just drive-n-putts.

But I think the idea of "par" exists as a way to gauge our play against others' play. I don't care what par is, per se, but I do like to know how I'm throwing as compared to other players (usually, I suck compared to other players).

Oh, and Intermediate should play from A tees. It's a tournament, not recreational play. If someone wants to play from B tees, then they can give it a go in the Rec division.

Eric
mook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put. The favorite courses in Idaho are Soda, Bengal, I.F, Walcott, and Ann Morrison. I would say all but Walcott follow the pattern.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are a bunch of TD's already, but do you guys need any help for this event?
mook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Scorecard tallying is always a help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: