10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why are we here, where are we going?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

what is the future for poky DG?
expand ross park
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
develope a different park
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
go to mink creek
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
improve what we have
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
something else
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: why are we here, where are we going? Reply with quote

I had a big thing written, but it won't post. so you tell me.

should we expand ross into the woods near lower ross (maybe 5 or 6 more short but hard holes)

push for 9 holes somewhere else in town (sister city?)

add 18 at the mink creek nordic center ( par 72? )

improve bengal ridge more ( B tees and bark )

something else entirely

and in what order?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I am focused on getting tee-signs created for upper ross park and then, I am looking at helping with the Massacre Rocks DGC.
mook

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are already spoiled with the disc golf options we have in town right now. Bengal Ridge is one of the top 3 courses in the state and Ross Park is a great alternative to it.

I think any expansion of the Ross Park course would only interfere with the rest of the activities going on at Pocatello's most popular park.

I haven't seen Mink Creek, but if there were an expansion, it sounds good from what I hear of it.

Really, Bengal Ridge is ISU's baby. If they can figure out a way to get paved paths, running water, bathrooms, a practice basket, or a pavilion there, I am all in for that.

My greatest concern with disc golf in the Pocatello area is organizational play. I want to play organized, not just casually. I want local businesses to take it seriously and put up some dough. I don't think there is any reason to expand on the playing options in the area until the competitive scenario steps up a notch.

We already have 5 courses within short driving distance. We are spoiled already with our playing options, lets increase the level of play. That's my opinion.
agunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could definately go for a course at Mink Creek. That would be an awesome course if we could get it. Fundraisers, maybe?
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Brandon for the most part. We definetly need a more competitive area before we expand more.

We will have massacre rocks within another year or so. I think the Nordic Center should be something that we could start raising money for now, but not do anything for like 5 years. This way when we go to the city hopefully we can have a lot of the money needed. Maybe charity tournaments such as the Ice Bowl except we do it for money to be saved for a new course.

I do think that we a are on the right tract as far as creating a more competitive atmosphere. With the addition of Ross Park, we have seen a lot more people playing then before. With Brandons 6 tournaments and Steve's LWOpen Sancitoned tournament May 12 and My Sanctioned tournament on June 30th on Bengal Ridge we are starting to bring a lot of tournaments to the area. If we can get people out to the tournaments we will be well on our way.

Once School is out I will try to run a clinic on a regular basis to hopefully try to improve basic skills of people who would like suggestions.

Sponsorship with Local Businesses is going to be the hardest challenge from my perspective. Until we can show them a real value for there sponsorship they are going to have a hard time donating any real amount of money. Meaning hundreds of dollars. If I were a business, I don't know how much I would be inclined to donate to a tournament who may have 40 people show up and half of those are from another state. The purpose of the sponsorship is 1. to support the tournament, but mainly to get there name out there and hopefully get a return for their dollar. If you have 80 people at your tournament and provide some advertising say on KPVI channel 6 weekly calendar and maybe try to get a free add in the Journal all of which including the sponsorships name then maybe we would be adding some value to them.

Also adding there logo to a website would be another thing to add as an incentive.

I will create a whole new thread on sponsorship, because I think that it would be helpful to toss ideas around.

Caleb Wolfe
ScottW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to beat what may be a dead horse, but I'll bring it up again. I think a bag tag down there would go a long way toward bringing a new level of interest and competition to disc golf in SE Idaho. I'll leave that one alone now.

As far as sponsorship goes, trying to lock down a big sponsor is key. The Garden City Flyers biggest (and it is big) sponsor is Big Sky Brewing Company, heck they are even a sponsor of the Mile High Disc Golf Club in the Denver area. Call them up and ask them if they would be willing to help sponsor the PVDGC. I know there products are somewhat popular down there. Maybe the Portneuf Valley Brewing Company. I know not everyone down there in overly fond of having beer companies as sponsors but hey, it about promotion of the sport and if that's what it takes I'd say do it.

Maybe if someone does run weekly league why not have it associated with the club and have a club pull. Say if the fee for weekly league is $3 or $4 have $1 from each person go right to the club. I know that's what the Spokane DIsc Golf Assoc. does with their weekly handicap series.

Hit up every business you can think of even if it is not a sports related store. We have all kinds of random business sponsors in Missoula and that is just because our board members go talk to anyone who will listen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: