7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Dam" Tournament at Lake Walcott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discgolf101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: The "Dam" Tournament at Lake Walcott Reply with quote

Well, after putting it off as long as possible, it's time to formally announce the the long awaited return of a Spring event at Lake Walcott! As the locals affectionately refer to Walcott as "the dam," I felt it would be appropriate to name this one for them. So, mark your calendars for April 17-18, 2010 as Lake Walcott will be hosting "The 'Dam' Tournament."

This tournament is going to be a fund raiser for the Idaho State Championships (formally the Southern Idaho Championships) which will be held in August. To help raise funds, I will be keeping half of all entry fees paid, and that money will go directly to the Idaho State Championships. I will be paying cash to all fields based on size (most likely top 3 in each division).

This is a non-sanctioned event, so feel free to bring your favorite non-sanctioned beverages; just don't be an idiot. Dogs are welcome as well, but remember that they must be on leash and under control (that means not obnoxious and distracting to the other players) at all times or you will be asked to chain it up back at your campground. If your dog doesn't like other dogs or is loud and annoying, I suggest leaving it at home. Enough digression...

Again, as this is non-sanctioned, things are going to play out a little differently than in tournaments past. I am a huge fan of the Eclectic format (R.I.P. Pineapple Eclectic), so that's how it's going to play both days. For those of you who don't know what that is, pay attention...

(Stolen from the GSDG website) Each person will "play two 18 hole rounds. Take the best score on each hole from either of the two rounds played and total them up for an 18 hole score." Pretty simple, and a whole lot of fun. We'll play the B settings the first day and the A settings the next. If you've been to one of my tournaments before, you know that I try to make it more about the experience as a whole rather than just about the play, so I thought this would be a way to add a little more fun to the mix.

The following is a list of the cost and divisions being offered. I am not offering any other divisions unless we get enough women or kids to form those divisions. Otherwise, here's how it will look:

Open: $40
Advanced: $30
Adv. Master: $30
Intermediate: $20

The park will be open for camping, and the bathrooms will be open as well. However, there will not be running water, so the showers will not be available. RV parking is available (but again, just for electricity). Regular camping will be $9/night, and RV camping will be $16/night. If you would like a cabin, call Lake Walcott at 208-436-1258 (first come, first serve). Also, and I cannot stress this enough, if you are not camping, you must pay your park fees ($5/day) each day or you will be disqualified from the tournament without refund.

I'm hoping everyone will get a disc out of the deal, but as this is a fundraiser, I'm not making any promises. Again, this is a fundraiser, so the payouts probably won't be as big, and there certainly will not be all of the side attractions. What I can promise is a weekend of fun at a great park. I hope to see a lot of you out there, and hopefully we'll be able to raise a significant amount to put toward the Idaho State Championships in August!

- Jason Scrivner
kerry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have permission to go. Anyone interested?
discgolf101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tossing around the idea of making this two separate events on the weekend so people who don't like to play on Sundays can still come out (some suggestions from the GSDG forum). However, this isn't official yet, but I'll keep you up to date.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update on this forum Jason
discgolf101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after more thought, I think I am going to go the two day/two event route on this tournament so those of you who don't want to play on Sunday will still hopefully come out. I've got a disc order in, so everyone who enters should get a disc out of the deal (unless I get an ungodly amount of people for some reason). Any left over discs will be up for sale to hopefully add to the fundraising. I've also got CTP's for each day, and am open to any and all donations that people want to throw my way. The following is how the entry fees will look for each day:

Open: $30/day
All Advanced: $25/day
Intermediates: $20/day

I am going to throw in a little added cash on the Sunday event as an incentive to stick around and play both events. As this is not a sanctioned event, and considering the format we are going to use (eclectic), I would encourage you "bubble" players out there to bump up a division, but that's just my issue. See you out there!
discgolf101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I hate to do this, but I am going to change things up last minute (hopefully to the benefit of those staying both days). I am going to keep the same one day entry fees, and for those who choose to stay the second day, they will only pay 1/2 price. I am going to pay out 75% the first day and add the additional 25% to the second day (after I take out the half for fundraising). So here's how it would look...

Day 1

Pros - $30

All Advanced - $25

Intermediates - $20

Ladies - $20

Day 2 (for those playing both days)

Pros - $15

All Advanced - $12.50

Intermediates - $10

Ladies - $10

I played with the numbers a little, and figured payouts based on 10 pros, 10 Advanced, and 10 intermediates playing both days. The payouts in each division were nearly the same after taking out the additional 25%. Based solely on this scenario, we will be pulling in $567.50 for the Idaho State Championship; that's with only 30 showing! Maybe its a little confusing, but it makes sense to me, and ultimately, I think it is fair to those staying for both days.

Also, any additional discs I have left over will be up for sale for $15 each. Again, this is a fundraiser for the Idaho State Championship, so please keep that in mind...the payouts aren't going to be like that of a normal tournament, but this is going to serve as a springboard for the big tourney!
discgolf101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that I haven't posted an agenda for the weekend, so here it is...

Saturday

8:00am - Sign ups
9:30am - Players Meeting
10:00am - Tee off!!!
12:00ish - Lunch
2:15pm - Players Meeting
2:30pm - Tee off for 2nd round!!!

Sunday

8:00am - Sign ups
9:30am - Players Meeting
10:00am - Tee off!!!
12:00ish - Lunch
2:15pm - Players Meeting
2:30pm - Tee off for 2nd round!!!

I'm expecting the rounds to be about 2-2 1/2 hours, with the second round much faster each day due to the format. Even with taking the longer lunches, we should still be out of there each day by 5:30 or 6:00ish.
discgolf101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a crazy weekend! For those of you who weren't there, things got a little interesting. Saturday we had about 50 competitors, and were able to raise right at $600 on the day for the Idaho State Championship this August. Well, as I was winding the day down and packing everything in, I neglected to put my TD box away. I drove off without it, only to realize when I got home that it was gone. Inside were all my CTP's from Disc Golf Distribution Center (Mike Stradley), all the scorecards and extras that take time to make, and most importantly, the cash box with the $600 we raised in addition to $105 added cash for Sunday and the $35 ace pot. I made a mad dash back to the park, but no one was there. I went to the campgrounds and about 15 guys set out to scour the park, but to no avail.

Well, Sunday rolled around, and I was able to get the ace pot and $105 added cash covered, but was out the $600 from the first day. Fortunately, we have a lot of generous people out there who were willing to help where they could. We only had 30 show on Sunday, and most were only paying the half price entry, so needless to say, we weren't going to make nearly what we did the first day. However, Charles was gracious enough to donate six collectors discs for a raffle, so people started pouring in money to for that.

As I was handing out the awards from the day's play, we had a lady walk up asking if we had lost anything from the previous day. I explained to her what it was, and she said she and her boyfriend took it home with them as they realized that it was obviously something of value to someone else and didn't want it to fall into the hands of the wrong people. What a relief!!! After this, we went to hole nine to compete in a CTP for the ace pot as no one hit an ace over the weekend...Charles had the good karma in his favor and took home that money. After the CTP, since there were no aces and no one won the digital camera from Aaron's (see earlier entry), we gave people the chance to still win it by selling extra throws for a dollar each. My juices were flowing from just getting news that our $600 was safe, so I stepped up and with the first throw canned an ace on hole 9. Well, I already have a camera, and still wanted to raise some more funds, so I gave it back to the tournament and we were able to make another $50-$60 before Brady Boyter (NUDGA) finally got the ace.

We all gathered back at the gazebo and made the raffle our last event before calling it a weekend. With the raffle we probably made at least $80-$90 extra as well. When all was said and done, we ended up making $1005 on the weekend for the big tournament!!!

I'd really like to thank all of you who made the drive out this weekend, whether for one or both days. NUDGA had a huge showing as did the PVDGC and GSDG groups! I'd also like to thank the following for contributing to the tournament in various ways:

- Mike Stradley (Disg Golf Distribution Center) for his CTP donations
- Missy Berg and Andy Nadeau for donating Dutch Bros. and Starbucks gift certificates
- Charles Parsons for donating his collectable discs to raffle off as well as helping with scores
- NUDGA for donating $$$ for the raffles and overall fund raising
- PVDGC for donating 5 R-Wood Rocs that we used as first day CTP's (those are some sick discs!)
- GSDG for donating discs for CTP's
- Jeremiah Glassnapp and Fit Physique for donating $50 and helping out with the overall functioning of the tournament
- Aaron's Furniture for donating several items for swag as well as donating a digital camera for an ace on hole 9!!!
- Travis and Trapper at Lake Walcott State Park for letting us use the gazebo, for donating discs and park passes to give out as prizes, helping out with the overall function of the tournament, and for having yet to say no to any of my ideas for the park!

Overall, it was an incredible and tremendously fun weekend!

Post Script...
In case you were wondering about the awesome people who saved the tournament, we took care of them as well. Travis gave them a free weekend stay in the cabins as well as a free annual state park pass. I also gave them several of our stamped tournament discs as well as several of the CTP discs we were not able to use (Boss, Buzzz, Destroyer, Shockwave, Rogue, Tee Bird). All in all, they made out with about $200 worth of items...sometimes it pays to be an honest person!
mook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a roller coaster ride! Well, I had a blast, wish I coulda stayed 2 days. I have never played an eclectic and thought it was a great format! Thanks Scriv!
cowan521

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second that i really wouldnt mind playing that format again. especially when i beat you huh mook? ha ha sorry had to post that cuz of the treasure valley last post. cowan 1 mook 00000000
mook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....my feelings are hurt.
cowan521

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i was aiming for. ha ha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: