7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PVDGC Bag Tag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  

IF the PVDGC ran a weekly bag tag round would you be interested?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
What the heck is a bag tag challenge?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

ScottW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: PVDGC Bag Tag Reply with quote

One of the first things I wondered when I moved to Pocatello last year was why you guys don't have a club sponsored bag tag challenge? Last year I was told that there wouldn't be enough interest in it and that there wouldn't be enough people willing to pay to join the club and for a bag tag. In seeing the sport grow a lot over the last year in this area I am curious if this is still the case. How many people would you need to show up each week to have a tag challenge round? Well, in my opinion two would be the minimum and I see and hear of that all the time. The Garden City Flyers Disc Golf Club (GCFDGC)in Missoula has had a weekly bag tag round for 3 years now and it only gets bigger. It promotes the sport, promotes the club, promotes friendship, promotes competition, and it just encourages discussion and is a great way for uninformed players to learn proper rules. Here's basically how the GCFDGC bag tag works: $15 to join the club which allows for the option of purchasing a bag tag and enter weekly challenges $8 for the tag itself ($23 in total to join the club and get a tag). The money goes for a number of things. I asked our club president if it was a pain to get the bag tags started and here's how he responded:

(brianb - club president):
Scott,
It was not a headache at all starting the Bag Tag rounds, as there was already a weekly round on Thursday nights (Trash Can Doubles) that we transformed into the Bag Tag round. When the Club started, I paid for the Tags out of my pocket and was later re-imbursed by the Club. Now the Club is well enough off to be able to buy the Tags outright.

The cost for this year's Tags was $2.95 from Sign Pro. They are made from .050 aluminum (oh-five-oh, a metal worker will know what that means) with vinyl decals on either side. Aluminum comes in 2 colors, natural and white, which is why our Tags have white as one of the colors. The cost goes up the more colors you want. As you know, we sell them for $8, with a portion of the proceeds going to pay for the Final Bag Tag Challenge (trophies, gold numbered decals, park reservation fee, and misc costs of the event) and the rest going to the Club.

If you go to the Missoula Sign Pro, be sure and mention our Club. They don't really like to make the Tags, but will continue to do so. If they hear we referred business to them, it might change their opinion a little.

Personally, I think that EVERY Club should have Bag Tags. Challenges are a great way for DG'ers to play at least a somewhat competitive round - NOT for money, but, more importantly, they are an awesome way for DG'ers to get together, socialize, and get to know each other better. Great things can come from simple conversations on the course. Also, Challenges are a good way to teach casual players tournament rules in a somewhat casual format.

Good luck with getting a Tag system going in Pocatello, and let me know if you get any flack about Carrie not being able to play a Challenge round for a while. Her case absolutely is the same as the out-of-staters last year and IS NOT a problem.

See you Thursday
Brian

I completely agree with him and am curious what your opinions about this are, especially from club members/board members. Eventhough I live in Missoula 95% of the time I would be willing to join the club here and buy a tag just to support the club/sport.
ScottW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on everyone, I know people are reading this, and I know you gotta have an opinion on this. If you agree say so, if you disagree say so and give an explanation as to why, if you want to know more about bag tag challenges and how other clubs run them say so. This could potentially be a big boost for promoting the club if the club wants to get behind it. There are 20+ views of this post and not all of them are mine, speak your mind.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright dude i didn't really put a post down because i didn't want to be a nay sayer. i think that bag tags are awesome and can be a lot of fun... but its funny this topic came up because i was talking about it with Caleb recently. i just don't think that there would be enough people interested to make it as functional and fun as most clubs with bag tags. i think the amount of response to this post so far is proof of what i'm talking about. i would support it if people wanted to start one in pocatello, but i don't think i would get involved
ScottW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James, that's a fair opinion and response. My response to that is look at how many people we have getting together for a casual round tomorrow. How many people do you need to run a successful bag tag challenge? I would say that 70% of the tag challenges that I participate in are within a flight of 4 or 5 and they are no less fun than the Thurs. night rounds in which 30 or more people show up. I know there are a bunch of people that would come out of the woodwork that you and I don't even know of, not to mention possible interest from out of town/staters (which means more money for the club). I see people playing here frequently that I would assume are not friends of any of us, but who's to say they wouldn't be interested. I also know there are a bunch of masters level players that would possibly have an interest in joining (the club president and his friends are a possibility). I think it could happen, and I think it is a good idea even if it starts really small. 5 is a good starting number, you gotta start somewhere. Just because not everyone possibly interested isn't friends doesn't mean that people won't get together to play disc golf or compete. I can certainly say that I am not friends with every single club member in Missoula, I'll even say that there are some very different people, but we all come together and join the club with a common purpose despite not necessarily being friends. I have also made some very good friends with fellow club members that I didn't know before I joined the club.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay i'm not purposely trying to start a more serious topic or change the subject at all, but i feel like i have to touch on this. I know a lot of people in this area that play disc golf that aren't in the club and i think one of the main reasons is the club seems almost too tight knit for lack of better words. The people i know that have expressed lack of interest in the club gave me reasons such as: "they're all mormon, they all have families, they will look down upon me if i drink or smoke, i can play for free anyways" these are obviously stereotypes that aren't all true, but some of them are very true and maybe the club should somehow make itself more apealing and get people to drop some of these assumptions.

it also seems like no one wants to do anything with the club or is too busy. i haven't been to the meetings but from what i interpret from others is that these days its almost like if no one volunteers to be president then its whoever draws the short straw. obviously thats an exageration, but maybe that should be more of the focus

who knows maybe a tag challenge kind of thing could really help the club. i think that the new monthly series will surely help the clubs popularity and disc sales

i'm certainly not pointing fingers or blame on anyone because you don't see me raising my hand to be the president. i'm not even really a club member. i'm just familiar with a lot of the people in the club because i chose to introduce myself to the club. the reason i was drawn in was evening league and tournaments.

i didn't right this to try to piss anyone off. if you get mad at me i'm sorry
ScottW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again James, excellent points. I completely agree with your points on how the club is viewed. It does seem to be a very closed group and I don't think that's good for the sport or the club. I am not Mormon, I don't have children (nor do I want any, at least not anytime soon Rolling Eyes ), I'll drink but I usually choose not to when I play because it doesn't help me, and I don't smoke but I try not to judge those who do (depending on what they are smoking). I do however play disc golf with Mormons (and other denominations), play with people who have kids, and I even play with people who don't have a problem drinking or smoking while they play. My ultimate concern while I am playing is disc golf and not other people's preferences. I sometimes play with some pretty shady characters but I can put that behind me to enjoy disc golf. Isn't that what this club is supposed to be doing anyway? Promote the sport and the club and don't exclude others because they are different, regardless of what that difference is. If I judged the people that I play with because of personal differences than I would most often play with nobody. I do think the club as a whole needs to become more open minded and more inclusive and more aggressive in recruiting new members because it's about disc golf, nothing else.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad you could see where i was coming from and didn't turn this into an argument that would never come to an end.

the only reason i try not to get involved more seriously with the club is because i view disc golf as my escape from all the stressors in my life. its kind of like "my time", almost like meditation. i know it sounds lame but i don't want to ruin that by adding disc golf stressors

i like to keep it more like a game than a serious sport. thats just me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: