9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sister City
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Sister City Reply with quote

So what do people have to say about the layout from the tourny? Was it good, bad, short, long, easy, hard, etc. I haven't heard anything about it. Is the layout from the tournament the layout that the course will eventually be set up with?

You don't have to take my opinion, but personally i would like to avoid putting in another beginner course like ross park. We already have one in town and it is serving its purpose
English101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an intermediate player, my opinion may not matter quite as much, but I will say that the course (used in the tournament) played shorter and easier than I expected. We are working on revamping the layout from the tourney. Too many average players (myself included were pulling very low scores. It needs to be more difficult and, (even though I have a noodle arm), it needs to be longer. (just my opinion).

That having been said, I still think that the thought process for the course should be more along the lines of an in-between course. For something in-between Ross and Bengal. I have heard Austin use the term "bridge course", which I agree with.

I don't want to see an "18 hole" version of ross park, but I don't think a second bengal ridge is appropriate either.

I say somewhere in-between...rambling over.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Good
- Stayed away from the play area
- Stayed away from the houses with even errant throws

The Bad
- Really Short, the back has opportunity to be long, but was shorter than expected for the ground covered.

The top portion will be hard to make a lot longer due to the limited space. The Back I can see being the equalizer to the short front.

Favorite holes were 9, 13 also the two hardest.

I have never seen a layout on the back, but Brandon had a pretty good one on the top portion. I talked with a lot of people and it seems that no one has played his layout. We should give it a try with just flags or something and maybe combine Austin and his layouts.

The back I would like to see play along the path a little more, which would reduce walking through the weeds and allow for good stances on tee shots. I think there would be a way to incorporate the existing trails and make an enjoyable back nine. As is I think there will be a lot of people who go and play just the top nine to avoid the dirt on the back. We will need to make the back as enjoyable as possible.

That is my take, i really enjoyed the tournament and the layout, but I do think that we can change a few things up.

Caleb Wolfe
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of potential there. like 1. 2 and 3 need combined. 4 was good. 7 was short but fun. 9 was great.
some of the shorter holes need combined and then we can add a few using the road switchbacks?

the back needs re-worked a bit. there is a lot of space there. 13 was good though. I like the finish on 18 straight up. 10 and 12 were short. 12 (or whatever hole it ends up being) should be an island withing the road and parking lot peninsula. would like to see a 600+ foot hole somewhere too.

overall it was a fun tournament layout with some great holes. good job austin and crew. A fine place to start.

I doubt tons of people are going to ventur out of the park for the back 9 anyhow so let's make it crazy fun for those that do.
wwashby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: I would help with layout Reply with quote

I would like to help with this layout.

I could not play in the tourney so I don't know anything about layouts.

Do Austin or Brandon have a map/Google earth layout?

Could we get together and brainstorm the course as Caleb suggested?

Lots of questions - no solutions - sorry.

Thanks,
Wendell
novosel14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front 9 WAY TO SHORT!!! Putters only.... Back 9 was fun for me.
cowan521

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correction front 8. 9 was a good one. i agree though way to low of scores for my liking i shot 3 down first round and had a bad 2nd but still parred. so finishing 3 down on the tourney and only ended up with 6th!! my own fault but too many bird shots
mook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my two cents.

Hole 1: Move the teepad back by the pavillion where it used to be and it makes it more legit.
Holes 2 and 3: Use hole 2 tee pad and hole 3 basket, then you can add the island green hole by the parking lot in its place.
Hole 4: There is easily enough space to add at least 30 feet onto it.
Hole 5: Not much space to do anything else. Maybe move the basket farther to the right to make it an extreme lefty hole?
Hole 6: I liked
Hole 7: I like the basket placement, but there is plenty of room to move the teepad back.
Hole 8. I liked.
Hole 9. I liked.

Hole 10: Too short and I have no suggestions.
Hole 11: I liked
Hole 12: Move the teepad up way higher to make an extreme downhill shot.
Hole 13: I liked.
Hole 14: I liked
Hole 15: OK
Hole 16: Too easy. No obstacles. Move the basket all the way down to the left of the big non juniper tree (I don't know what it is).
Hole 17: I liked
Hole 18: Too easy. Move the teepad farther south.
cowan521

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldnt have said it better myself Cool
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a preliminary design, I thought it was pretty nice. I agree, scores were way too low. We will be using a lot more space for the final course lay out. We only used about 70% of the space available for the SIMS, so we can lengthen some holes and have some fun with it. Thanks for the feedback.
wwashby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Google Map Reply with quote

Brandon,
If you are still bored would you throw out there your Sister City layout on a Google Earth map?
mook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do one of the front nine, but the design I did for the back was way too hard to the point of un-enjoyable. Plus, it was five years ago and I don't remember it that well.
wwashby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Let's do it Reply with quote

Brandon-
Cool. I think it would be good to at least look at it and brainstorm altogether.

Austin or Matt or someone who knows-

Could either of you post layout of what you are thinking of; Is there a Google Earth type map?

How close are we on funds for putting this course in?

How close are we to putting some work in on this course?

Would people like to get together and work on a layout?
If so when? I would like to help but it becomes harder when the school year starts so I would opt for before school starts Aug 24th.

Caleb -

Can you get together before next Monday?

Thanks for all you do guys.

Hoping to huck for real soon.
Wendell
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not have a course lay-out on paper yet. We will work on it more as we get closer to approved and funded. The proposal is into the city, and they are chatting about it. When the city gets back to me about the proposal we submitted, I'll update everyone.

When we have approval to use this park and we have the numbers all lined up, we'll hold a club meeting and lay-out design meeting.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just waking this thread back up.

Since it was rainy today I google earthed my prefered front 9. And then 2 options for a back 9. Austin had some input and it pretty much follows what this thread leaned towards. I'm excited.

I don't know how to attach files to this site so just email me at work and I'll send them to you.

Let's get this thing hashed out so when baskets happen we can dig holes and play golf. I'd hate to see them warehoused for 3 weeks.

If your holes don't make the cut don't get all pissy, just be grateful to have 3 courses within 10 minutes.

lclark at pocatello.us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: