7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sister City
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the reasons we are really trying to get Sister City set up quickly as a permanenet course. Getting two great courses set-up in this city would provide an added venue for us to host a PDGA C-tier or B-tier event with two days of competition. Ross park simply does not present the possibility of a dual course event.

Caleb, I'm with you on the design of tourneys. I believe they should be more profeesionally run so we can get some added sponsorship and draw folks from all over to compete here. Next year, we haope to have at least one, if not multiple events that are bigger with higher pay-outs.

Casey, I also agree with you in that this game is fun and should be enjoyed with friends. However, I do not see tourneys in the SIMs as being that venue of casual play. Tournaments are, by nature, competitive. I see the weekly leagues as venues for casual play.

Anyway, I hope to see everyone at the SIMS tomorrow.
Missy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I never thought I would post much but I just have to comment

First of all I understand that people did not like the idea of using the money from the mando's for the sister city course. But it was withdrawn, so do we still need to be discussing it? As for raising money for the course I can tell you that it would be a much more productive if we were to spend our time suggesting ways we could raise money rather than listing all the reasons why the previously suggested ideas will not work.

Secondly I felt like Caleb's comments were a little negative as to the structure and payouts of the current SIMS. I just have to say (not just because I am his wife) that Austin is doing a great job running the SIMS. I can tell you it is not an easy thing to do. And if you would like to see bigger payouts and more sponsorship then please by all means take responsibility for it. I can tell you that Austin and I are doing everything we can to make the SIMS successful, but there is just not time in our lives to run around collecting sponsors. And I don't think that raising entry fees to increase the payouts will attract more players, in fact I would think it would be a turn-off to some of our casual participants.

So here is my challenge - If you would like to see bigger payouts and more sponsorships in the SIMS - GO GET IT!
novosel14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazowski08 wrote:

Caleb, I'm with you on the design of tourneys. I believe they should be more profeesionally run so we can get some added sponsorship and draw folks from all over to compete here. Next year, we haope to have at least one, if not multiple events that are bigger with higher pay-outs.

Casey, I also agree with you in that this game is fun and should be enjoyed with friends. However, I do not see tourneys in the SIMs as being that venue of casual play. Tournaments are, by nature, competitive. I see the weekly leagues as venues for casual play.

I agree %100 with Austin here... If you want causal play dont come out to the torney. I go to these events to win or place as high as I can, not to see all my buddys. If I wanted to do that we would go play with out everyone Im not a big fan of.... I dont come out to make friends I come out to compet. That dosent mean I havent made friends I have, but I still want to kick their butts!

And as for a suggestion for rasing money, I did suggest a after torney doubles were all money goes to the park.
Noah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny to me that it was the mando's in question in this thread, not the donations to the Sister City fund and how it got flipped. Everyone said they didn't wanna play th mandos but would still continue to donate thier money to the fund anyway.

If I remember correctly, not many people have had an opportunity to think about ways to help with funds for the new course because it was never publicly asked for. The only times I personaly have heard about the Sisiter City Course fund is from private conversation.

Similar to the statement above, if anyone needs help with the club all they have to do is ask. This year I have seen more new players interested in the sport and wanting to be a part of helping grow it, then I have seen in the last 2 years. With these new player come a lot of opportunity to grow with thier knowledge base of our community. I agree with Missy, no 1 or 2 people can make all this happen all the time. But, I also think people need to be asked to help before they will dive in.

Side note: I am stoked to see Caleb, Mook and other veterans of the Disc golf world posting thier oppinions here as a great 3rd opinions.
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K guys (and gal). Let's not blow things out of proportion. The only statement I heard in this entire thread about Austin's ability's to lead or direct is when Caleb COMMENTED him on listening to our opinions. There weren't any negative comments about it. Please, don't take things personally.

No one is demeaning anyone. I wanted to make clear that I, like Caleb, was not offended by the off handed holes, nor am I offended that the club is seeking funds for a new course. It was stated that we didn't want to throw left handed on 10 holes (oh, and I did say I was a whiner). Obviously, money wasn't the question because there are plenty willing to donate extra anyway.
staatsy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 2 officers for the club aren't enough. Is that what I'm hearing? Maybe we need a third next year to help promote?

Also, it's very much possible to be competitive AND have a good time. From the other forum, I'll quote from the 10 simple rules of ultimate:

Spirit of the Game: Ultimate stresses sportsmanship and fair play. Competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of respect between players, adherence to the rules, and the basic joy of play.

I know we're not playing ultimate, but I really try to respect this philosophy in just about every sport I play. I realize I'm not going to be a pro at anything. But, I'm going to play hard, bring my "A" game, respect the other players and the game and, most importantly (for me at least), have a good time with good people.

Eric
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your comments mook and want to state myself that in no way was I trying to be negative towards the SIMS and how they are ran. I haven't even been to one this year, so I would have no place to talk in regards to that. My point was that competitive play brings more players and does not drive them away.

Anyways, I think Austin is doing a great job and as I recall was the only person willing to run for the job so I will never critisize his decisions. If he wants help and asks for opinions I will gladly provide them. I would disagree with novosel a little as I believe in my last post I stated that I am playing this tourny for the fun of it and to hang out with people I haven't seen in awhile. Oh and i want that number 1 tag as well, but James will probably beat me so I may have to attempt to dethrown kerry instead.

Hope to see you tomorrow.

Caleb Wolfe
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No respect has been lost anywhere here. Oh wait, I did lose a little respect for Eric when he said he had a...what was that again.."A" game! HAHAHAHAHAHA
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case Eric beats me tomorrow, I was kidding.
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you guys. I do miss my friends in Poky. Deffinger won't event come out and play with me.
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about all the posts, I thought I was on Twitter again.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to hold a brief club meeting after the SIMS Tomorrow. At this meeting, I will be proposing a third officer be elected immediately to help with sponsorship and tornament organization. We will also have numbes for Sister City funding and such to discuss.

I don't want to discuss this on the forum, and as such, I'm not even going to read this forum before the meeting tomorrow. If you hve some bit to put in here, come talk to me about it tomorrow.
myko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog poop stinks........ need I say more?
staatsy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mook wrote:
No respect has been lost anywhere here. Oh wait, I did lose a little respect for Eric when he said he had a...what was that again.."A" game! HAHAHAHAHAHA

I realize my "A" game is more like mook's "B" game and Caleb's "C" game. I'm under no false illusions.

Unless I beat mook tomorrow Smile

Eric

oh, and did I mention my lack of "A" game has the #2 tag?
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU have the #2 tag!?!?!? You sure there's not another number after the 2?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: