7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sister City
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but I am in the same boat with Brandon in regards to the gimmicks. I would like to see the SIMS become more competitive and have more participation. I think the gimmick format is more for a club tournament or fundraising tournament. Just my opinion. Is the 5 dollar buyout of mulligans going to the sister city fund? I will probably buyout, not because I can't throw left handed, but because I would like to see what my actual score is. I am hoping this is a good warm up to the soda springs tournament.

PS what ever happened to mikey

Caleb Wolfe
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy out. Not interestind in losing because I'm lop sided.

And I feel bad for mark.

I'm guessing all of the open guys will buy out to see how true scores compare. Not opposed to gimmicks, just not interested in losing due to one.
novosel14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwolfe wrote:
I hate to say it, but I am in the same boat with Brandon in regards to the gimmicks. I would like to see the SIMS become more competitive and have more participation. I think the gimmick format is more for a club tournament or fundraising tournament. Just my opinion. Is the 5 dollar buyout of mulligans going to the sister city fund? I will probably buyout, not because I can't throw left handed, but because I would like to see what my actual score is. I am hoping this is a good warm up to the soda springs tournament.

PS what ever happened to mikey

I agree maybe at the ice bowl this is cool, but not at a SIMS
novosel14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is just me or do we have NEW DISC GOLF RULES every time we have a new SIMS? Austin I like the idea of trying to raise more money but dont like this very idea. Maybe a after torny Doubles or something like that were all the money goes to the course.
staatsy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwolfe wrote:

Can we have the SIMS be more competitive AND increase participation? My initial thought: no - you can have one or the other. Making things more competitive is probably going to keep away more casual disc golfers...and casual disc golfers, over time, can become more competitive. If you make it more of a community event, you could increase participation, which increases the profile of disc golf and the club, which then increases interest and public support of a new course. But, this is at the expense of the more competitive players.

Maybe this is the point of divisions? I don't know. If I'm going to play open, I'll be a hypocrite and buy out on the mandos, knowing that the $$$ is going to the new course.

Solutions? I don't have any answers. There's been talk of having a PDGA tier tourney next year. A couple of these will attract competition. Proof - the Bengal C-tier that Caleb (I think it was Caleb) put on a few years ago had guys from Utah, and even a guy sponsored by Innova (Discraft at that time) show up.

Any way you look at it, it's a "can't please everyone all the time" situation, and there are going to be pros and cons.

Rant over.

Eric
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in...

Due to resounding complaints by angry participants, the mandos at Sister City are no more.

I appreciate the feed-back here. I thought that mandos would make the event more interesting. But, to the point of the pros, it would be nice to get a raw score the first time out.
novosel14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin, I think you have done the right thing here. Thank you.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin,

I am happy to see that this club presidency is not a dictatorship. I would have supported it either way. I am happy that because a lot of people feel that it was not the place for mandos/gimmicks you chose to listen.

Good job, much respect.

Caleb Wolfe
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in favor of donating an extra $5-10 to a new course at the tournament just to boost the funds and help speed the process. if 20 people donate $10 it would cover a hole.
mooch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I will also play on bringing an extra $5-$10 dollars to donate to the fund.
English101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is curious, I will have a detailed breakdown of where we are at financially, in terms of Sister City funds and overall. Maybe we should schedule a summer meeting to take care of some of these details?

Just a thought...
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in favor of donations for the new course and will be bringing my extra $5.

I'm a bit sad that people were so offended by mandos & a more casual atmosphere. I mean we're talking about frisbee golf here, a cheap version of a sport people are willing to pay $20 a round to play, and a lucky few get rich to play. How many of you would cough up $20 for 18 at Ross or Bengal?

If you're playing sports for professionalism, you'd be much better off with ball golf, bowling, or Texas Hold 'em. I know Innova & Discraft would have you think otherwise, but this game is basically a good reason to get together with friends and throw a frisbee b/c it looks cool when it flies and goes ching!

I like competition because it improves my game. But I also like it because of the social aspect & trash talking. There are basically two or three people on this board who could be considered possibly pro (Caleb, Mook, James). The rest of us are all scrubs. Get used to it and have fun. See you tomorrow morning.
Missy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Austin and I will be out at Sister City tonight at 6 to do some pre-set up and some extra hands would be greatly appreciated. This would be a great opportunity to get a "sneak peek" at the course for tomorrow. See you there!
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, "offended" is a much stronger word than any of us were using.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I agree with Mook. I was not offended, just didn't think it was a great idea. If you want to raise money for sister city then I think there are a lot of otherways we could approach it. I will definetly contribute 5 dollars to the fund. There are a few of us who remember the snake river series of old when you played in the series and had a chance of winning great prizes, huge trophies, $300 baskets, and there was great friendship and comrodary among all the players. People from Utah, Boise, even montana came to play in these tournaments. They often had over 50 people and some reached up to 90. I also believe that this provided an atmosphere that resulted in people getting better faster. There is nothing wrong with playing disc golf the way it was intended to be played. I would disagree that disc golf is only for casual people who want to throw a disc because it is pretty in the air. This is probably one of the reasons the Snake River Series pulled out, some people wanted a casual get together and others wanted a competition. Hence we now have the Treasure Valley Cup which is thriving with entrants, prizes, payouts, sponsorship, comradery, friends, etc... I would also argue that the more a tournament cost you expect more payouts. This is why you will see tournamments fill up or have a decent amount of entrants when they cost more.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if the mindset of the club is to provide an atmosphere for people to see pretty disc fly through the air then I do not see the club or disc golf in the area getting to be what it used to be. If you provided a tournament with huge sponsorship and for instance an Open player won 750 bucks and advanced won a 300 dollar basket and intermediat won nice bags and the like you would see increased participation from the community and the surrounding area.

Once again this is all just my opionion, and is one of the reason why I have moved on to ball golf. The only reason I still like to throw the disc once in a while is because of everyone who I get to play with. Except Mikey of course, because he is the only player who when I am playing with him I make sure not to go for an ace. Very Happy

I will see you all tomorrow for what I am sure will be a fun day of disc golf.

Caleb Wolfe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: