7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sister City
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Sister City Reply with quote

Any speculation as to how this course is going to throw? Will it favor big arms or more technical players(i.e weaker arms)? forehand vs. backhand? etc.

Not that it matters to me. It's the only SIMS event I'll be making this year. I might just use the Viper all day.
English101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be looking like a very well rounded course. The front 9 on the grass with both long and short holes, #9 should be a true par 4 along the backside of the park. If it plays out like we talked about, the trees will play a large role throughout.

My hope was that the front nine would play like a slightly longer version of Ross Park, somewhat technical around the trees.

The back nine will be down in the gully and will hopefully playout like a mini-version of Bengal, with elevation and lots of sage and juniper.

I am not sure if that is remotely helpful, but I know I am looking forward to testing it out.
kemmcase

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were we able to get enough baskets or do i need to bring mine. When will the course be set up? Is anybody going to play in the open division besides Austin?
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there barring a major river accident. Bring your a-game.

Also the ross baskets are available. I will post at the course tomorrow.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt is correct here. The layout is pretty even for all throwing types. There are some lefty lines, some righty lines, some tomahawk, some skipper, some bombs, some shorties. It should be pretty cool.

Also, make sure you can throw a disc with your opposite hand as that may be necessary at the event. I will be bringing my Ching so we can set this up, but there will be a bonus 19th hole at this event, so we'll be playing 38 holes rather than 36. Get your rest, as I know this will be drastically more work than your used to at tourneys.
staatsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-hand mandos? You're a sick puppy, Austin. I like it Smile

Looking forward to it.

Eric
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, opposite hand mandos. And for Eric, perhaps an entire tourney opposite handed.

I forgot to include this in the last response:

There will be five mando holes during the first round in which you will be forced to throw from the tee-box in an unusual manner. But, if you're worried about your scores, there is hope. You can buy your way out of mandos for $1 each. If you want to buy out of all mandos, it'll be $5 added to your registration.

All Mando buyout money goes to the Sister City Fund.
staatsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, if people are really chicken enough to buy out of the mandos, can I match their $5 and buy back their buy-out, thus forcing them to take the mandos?

Eric
mook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to go to this event this would be a huge disadvantage for me as I am the farthest person from ambidextrious (spellcheck!) that a person with two arms can be.

It seems there is quite a chunk of change already being taken out of these events for Sister City. I hope not to frustrate you with my questions.

Is the club paying entirely for Sister City or is the city willing to help?

Will this course have any more appeal to a city that already has 27 holes? What will be different (please tell me chopped down trees and piles of beer cans for starters)?

Is the club sponsoring the SIMS in any way?
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of mandos is not to squeeze every last dollar out of participants. The point of the mandos is to add another challenge to the game. If you're scared of the mandos, you can buy out of them. If you're going to pay out of mandos, why not give it to the course that scared you in the first place.

Yes, the club sponsors the SIMS with merchandise and such.

Come to the event Saturday and see if the course has anything to offer beyond Ross and Bengal. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Money for the course has not been totally ironed out yet, but the club is expecting to recieive some help from the city. Exact amounts are yet to be discussed.
onepaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opposite hand mandos...i love it!! wait a minute how am i going to throw opposite hand lmao maybe i'll just but out for $5. and mook i think i win for the biggest disadvantage
Noah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, We will establish "pinch-hitters" or throwers in our case.
We can Hire Mooch for our left hand throws and we can return the favor by throwing his right hand throws. Everyone Wins! lol!!!
staatsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin -

I'm sure you've got this covered, but it'd be nice to get a status update of the funds/permanent Sister City park course at the tourney, when you have a captive audience.

Sister City really is a cool, under-utilized park area. A course there, whether it be 9 or 18, is going to attract people from the surrounding residential areas. Heck, even Caleb could get in a quick round before he goes and plays "real" golf. Traitor. Razz

Eric
mook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mark, maybe I should have re-phrased. I am the farthest from ambidextrious a person can be that has two full hands. That is why I have a forehand and a backhand. Its like telling Casey Kemmerer that he can't throw an overhand shot 30% of the time.

Anyone who attends the SIMS is not in it for the money, and niether am I. I have alot of fun at the events with everybody. I just don't like gimmicks in tournaments when snow is not involved.

Granted, I am a whiner. Thanks for answering my questions. I wasn't trying to be a buzz kill on the course. I know the space and terrain far better than anyone in this conversation, but I haven't seen Austin's layout. It could be the most awesome course know to man!

I am glad that the club is throwing something besides time into these events, and Soda and Targhee.
kemmcase

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: I am coming Reply with quote

I lost to chuck tday at bengal by 1 so i have 29 chuck has 4 so i am coming after a low tag however it is going to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: