9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

art dye course in American Fork review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: art dye course in American Fork review Reply with quote

Mindy and I went to Provo yesterday on business and played wo course on the way home one was Art Dye in American Fork

The course is very new and very rough. I got very frustrated just finding my way around. I was also frustrated that American Forkites are using the area as an active trash dump. #18 was almost buried in big black bags of household waste. the course is also home to a bmx dirt jump area, which is cool but while we were there it was obvious the primary uses were dumping junk off and painball. 4 local older teen were building forts and shooting the bejeebers out of everything in sight- baskets, tables, each other, forts, trees. Strangely they didn't shoot the trash much.

We had a good map from the site and found # 1 and #2 alright. the course is very tight and technical I could see getting a huge score on any given hole (snowman anyone?) I was driving well and stayed near what I assumed was par until... We could not find #6 tee pad area. then ditto for 7 until we found 8 then I went back to 7 but never found 6. there were 2 small rocks (really snmall, about 2lbs) on the course that someone had written in magic marker what tee pad you were at and the distance. they were salvation. it took about 3 hours to play. 90 minutes looking for the next tee/pin. 45 throwing and 45 avoiding getting a disease/shot at. The locals are working on adding stepd and bridges over the ditches and up a steep headwall. a few more rocks and magic marker on the baskets would help a ton.
most of the holes favor super straight throws in the 200-300ft range with most favoring a RHBH fade at the end. if t you throw a rok or buxx you are in. about 3 of the holes favored a strong forehand hyzer (200ft straight 90 degree RH turn for 50 ft) almost without exception the fairways are tight tight tight. there is little room for error and a bad drive could leave you with at least a bogey and usually more. sometimes even a good drive is punished. the trees and brush are thick ?cottonwoods? and ?box elder?. On a few hole I saw literally no way to the hole. it was huck and pray (15?) I think there is some shrub oak and willow for good measure. IMO the course layout has little natural flow and this adds to the difficulties.

It was super epic and our stroller was impossible to take.

Will I play here again? yes, but not until some serious service projects get done.

that being said with work this will be a top course in the area. It has so much potential. plenty of challenge, ample length, really nice baskets and a good community of golfers around it.
Lance
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also in provo yesterday and had the chance to place this course as well. I went there in the morning, but did not have any sort of map. So I tried to find my way around the course and ended up leaving after a few holes because they were impossible to find. I went back to where we were staying and printed off a course map from the provo website. I went back later in the day and was able to find all the pads pretty easily.

Ironically, I found hole 6 pad in the morning without the map. I know that lance said they were not able to find it. It is in a pretty hard spot, I just happend to be walking right over it when I found it.

Anyways, in regards to the course itself (meaning the layout and technicallity of the course) I thought it was awsome. There are some tight holes, but in contrast to Lance, I thought that they all but one have a pretty obtainable window. He is right that you need to be able to throw straight, and I did use a rock on almost all the technical holes.

I would love to play a tournament there just because it is a pretty fair course except for dominant righty holes which works good for me. There are a few lefty hole, but for the most part I would say it is better to be a righty. What I mean by fair course is that I feel that you could play a local on the course and still have a good chance to win because one mistake can cost you.

I think that the course used to be a landfill or something because there is a lot of trash around. I actually saw sanitation trucks dumping dirt there while I was playing. There were also two people on motorbikes while I was playing therefore I had to skip holes 9, 10, 11, and 12. There are paintballs everywhere which makes it look really bad. If I lived there, I would take it because it was a really fun course, I would just play in the early mornings before everyone got out there.

I shot 4 down with one bogey, plus I skipped four holes, so I would say although it is technical, you can shoot really well on it. I would say that 5 down would be a pro score and advaced should shoot for even to -2.

All the holes are easily three's, but if you go for a two that is when you might end up in trouble.

My overall impression of the course is that I can't wait to play it again.

later,

Caleb Wolfe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: