9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ross Park
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Missy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Ross Park Reply with quote

Hello

Just FYI for all of you that like to play Ross Park at lunch time:
The summer lunch in the park program starts today and runs through August 7th. They will be serving lunch in the park Monday - Friday from 11:30-12:30. This year the city asked us to move the serving line from the playground side of Upper Ross to the other side by hole 9. I am not sure how crowded it will be - hole 9 may still be playable but you will have to check it out. Thanks!

Also if anyone is interested in bringing thier little one's they will also be serving lunch at these parks at the same time:
Alameda Park
Raymond Park
Bicentennial Park
Hawthorne Park
OK Ward Park
Caldwell Park
English101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Recipe for disaster.... Reply with quote

I think that this is a great program and benefits kids across the community, but does anyone besides me see this as a potential problem?

I am not sure why the serving line has been moved to the other side when there is plenty of room by the pavilion, not to mention a playground there. As kids are want to do, they are going to try and get to the playground, and wander around up there. As a parent it would be easier for me to keep track of my children on one side of the park, not to mention keeping them out of the road and away from some of the other "interesting" things that can happen back in the trees.

If I head out for a quick round at lunch time, I have no problem skipping hole #9 and just playing the other 8, but I also know that there are unfortunately quite a few disc golfers who seem to not care a lot about this kind of thing. We are really putting children in danger if they are going to be running around on that side of the park. There are plenty of disc golfers who cannot control their discs. Or like me, they simply shank a drive now and then. This could potentially blow up on both sides with animosity between parents and disc golfers.

Of course I like to play the course for a quick round during my lunch time, but it just seems like a law suit waiting to happen. I trust that with club members this will not be an issue, but I can't even pretend that the rest of the people who use the course will act the same.

Let's make the formula simple:

(Lots of kids running through the trees + either pin placement (hole 9) = lawsuits and injury)
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, terrible idea. I argued against it. The odd logic is that this will alleviate pressure on those who rent the shelter. I'm not sure the extra 20' walk will deter kids from using the shelter.

I will probably make a sign and post it at hole 9.

"do not play hole 9 from 00:00 to 00:00 during the summer lunch program"
feit11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what has been said. I also think that placing hole 2 basket in original placement would be a safe thing also. Like Lance said the kids will be using the shelter. Original placement is farther away from the shelter and a little bit hiden unlike alternate.
mook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this as a real problem last year when they decided to change it the last two weeks of the summer. The majority of disc golfers not associated with the club don't care and will still throw. It is evident seeing the trash laid around the course that there is a huge amount of uncaring throwers.

First, I would petition with the city to change the serving area back to its original placement. Not only is it not going to serve the purpose of them changing it. The kids are still going to eat at the pavillion. It also 1)brings young children closer to the cliffs of Ross Park, 2) puts them in harms way of discs, and 3) puts a greater risk on the children who now MUST cross a busy lunch street and parking lot to get to the playground.

If they still won't change it I would be super aggressively vocalizing to any disc golfers you see throwing hole 9 at lunch not to do so. I can just see this blowing up in our faces when kids are injured.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that this decision is the wrong one to make, it has been made. All we, as a club, can do is post signs and warn people playing. This has "train-wreck" written all over it.

But, this is the problem with a course at a busy park. Other things happen there. People who call themselves "disc golfers" make a bad name for all of us by ignoring common rules of courtesy and safety.

I will see about writing a letter to the responsible parties, on behalf of the club, warning them of he impending danger inherent with this decision. But frankly, there is not a whole lot more we can do about it, other than spread the word.

I also agree with Adam about moving hole #2 to it's short location. If I don't get to them all, please help me spread the word to all of the basket movers that the #2 basket needs to stay short until further notice.

Thanks all.
staatsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cringed when I read that initial post yesterday and thought to myself, "Well, I won't be playing 9 at lunch time for the summer."

I wonder why upper Ross is preferable to lower Ross? Plenty of shade down there and the roadway is low-speed (with no reason to cross), and there aren't flying objects that could injure someone.

I agree - number 2 should remain in the short position. I wonder if 9 should just be pulled for a while? 8 in the original placement also could pose a risk, as kids may be playing around the rocks.

Like Austin said: it's a public park. We've all had to play a non-preferable line due to picnickers and others before. People who are not playing disc golf have just as much right to the park as disc golfers, and we have to be respectful of that. I have faith that members of the club and those that read the forum will be careful, but, as it's been said, it's everyone else who will give disc golfers a bad name.

Lance - would it help if the club sent a letter expressing concern to the City? I would be willing to help draft the letter.

Eric
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably help to write a letter. The decision was made pretty casually and isn't defined by contract as far as I know. There was talk of a written agreement, but I doubt it got done.

The odd part is the shelter only gets rrented on week days about 4-5 times per year. It isn't a conflict with the shelter except those few times. Sort of frustrating.
novosel14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delated for the PREZ

Last edited by novosel14 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will send a letter to whomever needs to see it. Lance, could you get me a name or contact for someone I could talk to about this in the city?

I will get the word over to the Lunch in the Park folks and let them know to spread the word to the kids and parents.

The reason Lower Ross wasn't going to work is that it is already dedicated to another function. Combined with the traffic for the Zoo, Pool, and Skatepark, Lower Ross is too congested.

To give you an idea of why this is happening, the city told D25 to serve away from all pavillions and shelters this year. So, all of the locations are affected, not just Ross.

You guys are right about hole #8, we should probably move that to short for the summer as well.

Also, small pitch here, but, notice that Sister City is not an affected park. If we had a course there, we wouldn't have to worry about school lunch.
novosel14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delated for the PREZ

Last edited by novosel14 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-issue

Last edited by Wazowski08 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
novosel14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delated for the PREZ

Last edited by novosel14 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
staatsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin - Is there a chance I can assist with the letter? Or at least review it?

Eric
novosel14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take any msg down you want MR PREZ! You read my post my point was made
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: