7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5/11/09 Bag Tag Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Results
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staatsy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retracted

Last edited by staatsy on Fri May 15, 2009 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
kerry

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This argument is over!

But since, I'm not going to be there, I'll share my opinion.

I believe that you need to pay big if you want to win big. The high tags are rolling the dice with nothing to lose unless they have to pay all the way up. The low tag is playing against the entire field in a group challenge, any of whom could get crazy lucky (like when Mooch shot a 48 at league) and get the low tag.

The low tags are low for a reason, but you should get paid according to the number of higher tags you squash. Further, my kids need new shoes...

If you are worried about paying all the way up on a group challenge, you should issue an individual challenge.
staatsy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see both sides of this. Kerry - the example you gave of someone having a stellar round and taking a high tag in a group challenge isn't much different than a high tag directly challenging a low tag - if the low tag wins, they still only get $1 from the higher tag. But, from your example, if a higher tag beats the lowest tag, the low tag still may get paid-out from all the other higher tags they beat in the challenge - they successfully defended against X number, but lost to one.

Maybe this is why the initial rules prohibited group challenges.

Tourneys are tricky, though. If you prohibit group challenges at tourneys, each tag can only be challenged once for the entire tourney, thus limiting the amount of exchanges that can happen.

Lower tag numbers have little incentive to throw their tag in to a large group if they're only going to see a payout of $1.

Part of this problem also goes away after the "within 5 tags" rule goes in to effect. At that point, large group challenges almost cease to exist.
kemmcase

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all good boys and girls. If a dollar is going to make you rich you shouldn't be playing disc. I know how it is to have the number 1 tag it is more of pride saying that you have held it not the dollar that you win.

If some crazy chance my little brother challenged me and beat me it is good to see somebody like that be able to hold a low tag. It would make there day. We all know that the volutrues will pick him apart because everybody will challenge a weak person before they go after the same competition level. So who cares for the dollar.

If I still had the number 1 tag i would throw my tag in a group challenge to have the pride to say i beat 6 other guys to keep my tag not that i won a dollar from each one. And so what if i lose to somebody that threw a great round who deserves to have that tag and i will just have to work my way back up to the top.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, this plan kills two birds with one stone. It allows group challenges to happen, because each tag is only challenging one tag at a time, financially.

It also allows the low tag to get paid without making the highest tag pay a small fortune. Let's try this one this year.

The bottom line is this: You can't challenge someone without risking at least $1. If you're trying to get around that risk by challenging in a group, it ain't happening any more. In a group, you will be challenging the tag directly above you. If you lose the challenge, you will pay that tag $1.

Maybe nest year we can implement a group challenge rule with more clear definitions. Until then, let's stick with our rule of one challenge per person, even if your throwing tags in a pile.
Noah

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Casey on this subject.
English101

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so...how many singles do I need to bring? I have the 23 tag I graciously lost it back from Noah. I would like to challenge Blake or Chance? I am not opposed to a group challenge either? Just wondering if I need to stop by the ATM tonight and get 13 singles for this group thing?

Just want to play...
novosel14

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guy....

If there is no limit on the number of tag ahead of you that you can challenge till IF monthly........ Whats the difference of a large group challenge and a number 23 tag challenging the 1 tag? Oh yea it might actualy weed some of the better players to the lower tags and worse players to the higher tags. That is kinda what people have been saying will happen anyway. This just speed up the process.

Get over the whole dollar issue!!!
novosel14

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kemmcase wrote:
And so what if i lose to somebody that threw a great round who deserves to have that tag and i will just have to work my way back up to the top.

And the great part of a large challenge is you might only drop afew numbers, other than droping from first to worst.
kerry

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between #23 directly challenging #1 and a group challenge where #23 and #1 are part of 10 total tags is that in a direct challenge, the #1 tag only has to beat 1 player to keep his tag as opposed to beating 9 players in the group challenge.

The best way to "get over the dollar issue" is to put on your big boy pants and pay out every tag that beats you.
feit11

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Dollar Reply with quote

How cares about the damn dollar. if you ask me the dollar is the stupidest thing in the world, it compares to the man thong. What is the point. And yes i just compared the dollar issue to a man thong. that is how stupid the dollar is.
novosel14

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God you make me feel like Im talking with children! Oh and Im not talking about Adam... I will have a pile the way Austin decribed it in the above post. You can only go down $1 but can move up as many tags as you can BEAT! The BEST players will get the LOWEST tags in the end!!! If you dont think you can take on the intermeadit players and win PLEASE DO NOT PLAY MY IN GROUP CHALLENGE. Cause you dont need to be playing us... You are too good. I dont want you to drop a tag number.

Like I said, this will help with the going first to worst every chalenge. The best players that have their tags in will get the best tags after.

I WILL have a group challenge for sure! The way Austin said is good for him and is good for me.

Evil or Very Mad
novosel14

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tag results

Adam 11

Matt 20

Blake 23

I had a bad list nine.... but I still wouldnt have won my tag anyway.

Great gob MATT and ADAM!!!
staatsy

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stepping back and looking at this thread, the bag tag is doing exactly what was intended: fostering friendly competition. It's great to see that everyone is voicing their opinion about our little competition. This is what a club is all about.

One thing to add about higher numbers challenging lower numbers: this bag tag gives non-pro players the opportunity to play with someone better than them. I know from playing with local folks a lot better than myself, I learn a ton. Sometimes it's hard to hook up with a Caleb or a James, but the bag tag gives you a reason to call them up and challenge them. Sometimes it's not really about the dollar, or really the tag for that matter, but learning a new approach or technique.

Any other tags change hands yesterday?

Eric
myko

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stole the #1 tag on saturday from Austin.
come and get me you weiners and bring your dollars!!!!

love Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Results All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: