5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pro Divisions in low key tournaments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be in favor of a Pro only division and not having a pro masters even if their were 5 or more?
yes
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
no
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Pro Divisions in low key tournaments Reply with quote

In my tournament I am thinking of only having one open division. There would be no open masters and the other stuff. According to PDGA rules I can do this as long as I provide enough warning. I would hate to see 5 open and 5 open masters, to me that just seems pointless. On this side of the country I think anyone whether you are a masters or not could beat any other open player. What I am referring to is a Greg Beukelman and a Brad Deteau could beat anyone else yet they qualify to play open masters. I know that they would probably go pro anyways, I just want to make sure that I would not make anyone upset by doing this. So cast your vote and please explain.

Keep in mind that the questions only pertains to this specific tournament and not always in my opinion. I think that there are times that it would be good to have multiple divisions.

Caleb Wolfe
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted yes for the same reasons caleb listed. i think that most people that would enter pro masters are good enough to play pro anyways.

however i don't think that my opinion on this topic should matter that much because it doesn't really apply to me. I think the people that need to voice their opinions on this topic are the players that would want to play in the pro masters division.
mook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a null point. You can always go without advertising Open Masters if you would like, but PDGA rules states that if 4 or more enter you MUST offer the division.....unless, of course, you aren't doing a PDGA event.
ScottW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the guys that aren't good enough to compete with the Open Men? I think the geezers need their own category as well. If I am ever good enough to play Pro Open I'd like to have a Masters division for me when I get old enough, regardless of how good I may or may not be.

I don't have to worry about that for a while though. It is hard to make an argument against it if the PDGA says you have to if you have at least 4. Just my thoughts.

ScottW
PDGA# 28786
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a null point. You can always go without advertising Open Masters if you would like, but PDGA rules states that if 4 or more enter you MUST offer the division.....unless, of course, you aren't doing a PDGA event.

That is not correct. The rules states,"

Quote:
PDGA guidelines stipulate that events must offer any division for which there are 4 or more registered competitors, unless
advance notice is given

This is what I am referring to when I am asking for feedback. I would just hope that open masters people are going open masters because they really think that there is a discrepency in the competitive level of the open players and the masters players. I would hate to see it become a money thing.

It goes along with the new rule out that said you could play pro locally and then in a big tournament go am. I would have to research this more, but I thought it was along those lines.

Caleb Wolfe
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the going pro one weekend and am the next depending on how you feel you'll do at a tournament is weak. If you think you are good enough to play pro you should never go back down especially when there are options for pro masters later in life. I was just discussing this with my older brother who plays a lot in northern California and he said around there if you are caught going back and forth you are black listed from the clubs and looked down upon heavily at tournaments. People can do whatever they want i'm just saying what i think.

...and scottw if you read this where have you been man? i thought i would see you at some track meets, but i didn't see you at bozeman or this weekend here in poky. are you going to be at the big sky conference championships in a couple of weeks?
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not designed so that a person can go back and forth from tournament to tournament. This is designed for people who dominate in a local area where disc golf may not be quite as popular can go to big tournaments back east where the competition is a lot better and go am. In other words my rating is 971. This is good for the state of idaho. So in any local tournament or even Utah, Montana, Wyoming areas I would go pro because that is where I belong. Now if I was to go back east and play with the climo's, shultz's, rico's, and the like I would be way out of my league. This provision allows for people to go am at such tournaments. Besides that this is not relevant to what we are talking about, because they are not going from pro to am, they are still going pro, but it is a difference between pro masters and pro open.

For the record, I will never play am again because I feel that I will learn a lot more being in the open division and maybe get lucky the first round and get paired up with some of the really good players.

Going back to the first question and what Pole Vaulter said, the responses would be best if they were coming from those who can play in the open masters division. The main point is if there are 5 open players and 5 open masters players I personally think that it would stink to have two divisions. I do think that there should be two divisions however if the competition warrants it. Meaning that 4 of the 5 open players would always beat the top open masters player. If all ten players are relatively equal in playing ability then their should not be two divisions. Here is a breakdown of those who may come to my tournament and fit this category.

These names primarily come from the LWO last year, and a lot of the UT players have a monthly, so they will not probably make it.

Caleb W. 971
Brandon M. (NA)
James L. (NA)
Derek F. (NA)
Dan C. 947
Gregg B. 958 *
Brad D. (Boi) 970 *
Rob H. 969 *
Steve L. (Boi) 968
Craig M. 983 *
Doug S. (UT) 967 *
Doug S. (ID) (NA)
Josh R. 956
Brad D. (IF) (NA, but easily 960-970)
Trent L. 963
Devin L. 944
Paul N. (NA)
Cale C. (NA)

The * means that they qualify to play in a masters division. Which most of them do anyways, but only at the big tournaments. Locally they register and play pro open for the most part. Unless it is a big tournament such as creekside and solitude.. Any one of those guys could win in the open division at my tournament, so the question is do I let there be an open masters division, or say that there is just an open division. Or I could just plan on a open division and if there is 4 poeple who want to play masters I can form it.

Caleb Wolfe
mook

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that rule for me. In my opinion, I believe that if you are throwing a sanctioned event, that you should include all divisions as an option.

Advertise the divisions that you want to emphasize, but don't discriminate against one division. If 4 or more show up and want to play in Open Masters, why not grant them that. If you don't offer a Junior division and 4 of them show up, wouldn't you grant them that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: