7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PVDGC Roc Army
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who's he queen of this Buzzz colony anyway Laughing Question All the Wasp is is a modified Roc and all a Buzzz is is a modified Wasp. Just throw a Roc. I prefer my 179g STAR Rancho Roc, though I do still love my 175 DX Roc for anhyzers. Perhaps I can be an associate member of this Roc army from afar Exclamation I think there is a similar Roc/Buzzz division in North Idaho as well.
mook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sayin! The Roc was the original. Everything else is a copycat. Now I also bet you that you can find a Roc that you will love, Buzzers! There are so many kinds of Rocs, the DX Roc, the DX Classic Roc, the Champion Classic Roc, Champion Roc (in which there are more version in and of itself), Pro Roc, Glow Roc, the 10 Time Champ KC Roc, the 11 time one, the 4 time USDGC one, the Star Roc, etc...

Which one do you use, Roc Army?

I use the USDGC Ken Climo 4 Time Champion Glow Roc. I also have a DX Classic Roc in my bag.
English101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'04 Super Roc (beat in)
Champ Classic Roc

After that almost everything I throw will rock.

Throw what you want, but don't get mad at the grown ups who don't have to worry if they will make their mommy angry by throwing rocs.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott and Mook are making excellent points. The Roc was not good enough in its original state. It needed to be modified before it was useful. My oint is, why go with a broken down old model when you can use the new and improved version.
mook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Austin! You can twist our words around to make you look better. When will you be running for President?
staatsy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impossible to improve upon perfection, thus the inferiority of any non-Roc mid.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mook, I am not planning on running for Prez again. Matt and I have amended the club rules to state that the president and treasure's terms are only done when they choose to step down. We're going for that Cuban dictatorship model of government.

It would take some military coup to overthrow us. If only there was some militant group of disc golfers, like an army of some kind...

Oh well.

You should all feel well represented, though. Matt is a loyal Roc Army member, and I am pretty dedicated to the Vespidae Swarm's cause.
mook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...I was speaking of President of the United States. The club presidency has been a volunteer position the last 7 years.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally throw 3 roc's. A 2003 champion, A 2004 Champion, and a 2002 DX roc.

Each has a little different stability. I have thrown the buzz and find it to understable. Not as much as my DX which I throw for anyhyzer shots, but a lot more understable then my 2004 Champion roc. Really didn't care for the Buzz. I have not thrown the wasp much but if I recall I didn't like the feel of it in my hand. I remember it being too domey (I hope you can figure out what that word is supposed to be).

I did hear one valid argument which I whole heartedly agree with. Innova comes out with a different mold or plastic every year so if I lose my my 03' or 04 roc I am screwed unless I want to spend a lot of money on an auction site to replace it.

Just to point out though I probably would pay the money for those discs versus switching to the buzz or the wasp.

Keep in mind that I am a non-discraft thrower so obviously I am biased.

I won't be playing many tournaments this year, but I will help represent the roc army when I am there.

Caleb Wolfe
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: roc army Reply with quote

I second caleb's thoughts. There is an army of rocs out there. I'm sure I could find one to suit my needs, but I really don't want to try. I don't want to be that guy obsessing over me 12 year old vintage disc that is totally irreplaceable.

I get a good disc fromt he club that is easily replacable for $13. The buzzz is a little understable in ESP (star), quite stable in flx and medium in z (champ). I currntly carry a stable flx and a super understable esp. between those two I can throw any mid shot I need to.

I'm not a wasp fan for the same reason I'm not a roc fan. the bead doesn't feel right. It also seems to slow the disc down a bit. Not acceptable.

FLX is a beautiful thing. I hear innova R plastice is a rough copy of FLX. I'm not going to be snobby about disc companies because I'll throw anything that goes where I want it to, but it does show there is more than 1 innovator in the sport.
staatsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points. As I think about it, I only have two discs in my bag that I couldn't get from the club at a moment's notice - a champ destroyer (which I have a backup of) and a champ roc.

This made me realize one negative about Innova - consistency (or inconsistency). Reading through the Ask Dave forum on the PDGA web site, there is a lot of talk about how molds have changed over the years and how some plastic formulas are not available any more. It seems they're constantly tweaking something, which would make it difficult to maintain consistent flight patterns for certain discs.

Ah well, I'll never be a pro, so I guess I'm just at the manufacturer's mercy.

E
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'm glad to see that his forum has gravitated back into the realm of rational discussion.

I have to agree with Lance's last post. I am, frankly, too lazy to try to find the exact mold and year for THE flight pattern I need. It is much more practical for me to have a disc that I can replace relatively easily.

Unlike Lance, however, I love the bead on the Wasp. The reason I can't play a Buzz, besides the understability, is that I rely on that snap off of the bead on my Wasp. With out the bead, my shots get even more unpredictable.

I have no deep seeded rebelious nature towards Innova, after all, I throw Destroyer and Xcal all the time. I just love my Wasps.
mook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I know this is a stupid arguement and thanks Kerry for kicking it off. Every disc golfer is different. We don't have the same grip, spins, arm strength, etc... So to say that one disc is better than another is ridiculous.

Another ridiculous claim is to say that a disc is useless because you threw it a couple times and it didn't work the way you wanted. I can say that I have been there. I gave the Wasp and run because it was claimed to be Discraft's Roc, and I have no problem with Discraft. I used to carry more Discraft than Innova at one point. The Wasp stayed in my bag for a half a year and was removed. I gave the Buzz a run for over a year. I had an ESP and it didn't work. Way too understable. Then I tried a Crystal. Way to inconsistant. If you like the bead, that I can understand. If the Roc Army wins tomorrow, its probably because they are better disc golfers and know what discs suit them best on average, and the same can be true for the Vespidae Swarm.

All I can say is, you better bring it cause nothing shuts trash talking like proving it out on the course.
kerry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 different Rocs in my bag: 2004 super (straight), 2005 super (flippy), 2006 USDGC SB (stable). Plus my beloved but occasionally unfaithful classic roc ( I dove to Soda with a 12' ladder hanging out the back of my Honda to get it out of a tree last year).

I like to start these threads because we have to fight before we can hug and make up.

Kerry
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ROC Army lives!!!!!

I am still proudly carrying 4 rocs in my bag.
-180 USDGC Throwers Roc Champion
-175 KC Pro Roc
-180 DX Roc 2002
-174 DX Roc 2002
and occasionaly a Champion Classic Roc I recently acquired

My Roc patch is on my Revolution Bag.

I'm not sure if these are new, but i noticed that you can now buy Buzz patches (of course they came after the Roc patch) hahaha. How many of you swarmers have the buzzard patch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: