7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lake walcott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: lake walcott Reply with quote

We palyed walcott friday 3-16-07 and it was so nice. The sun was out and it was 60 degrees. there was almost no wind and the grass was dry. The new tee pads seem to be more level than last spring and played very nicely. There were huge sections of dry giant leaves in places and I almost lost a disc in one. It was great. The course really plays well to my forehand. It accomodated our stroller with minumum hassle. I like the mix of technical short holes and long open huckers. A few questions for those in the know:

How does one birdie 18?

Does anyone know how they measured distance here? I felt like they were off, but it was likely me.

how would you bird 7 w/out a forehand?

do you backhand the gap on 8 or annie/forehand over the road? or somethign else entirely?

do you throw the tunnel on the short hole coming away from the water or is there a secret looping shot?

any other tips?

lance
mook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, anytime you can play Walcott it is a gift.

Now, I have only played it once since the new tees were put in. I vaguely remember them moving the 18 teebox? I will check it out today.

I have only birdied 7 with a huge heiser forehand, but I image a right handed backhand roller would give you the same turn.

The same with 8 for me. I throw a huge forearm to the left of the big tree. I don't birdie that one as much as 7 though. I see alot of guys in tournaments throw a backhand through the gap. It works if you have the arm, but if you come up short on that hole, you may be deep in the woods with no clear way out.

The tunnel? I think your talking about 14. I see a variety of shots on this hole. If you can control a roller, its a great hole for it because you dont have to worry too much about distance because of the wall right behind the basket. Personally, I throw a very high forearm thats work great for me, but I don't see any body else throw it. Also, I've seen the low backhand work but more often than not they aren't low enought, too low, or hit the trunk of a tree.

I will be out there today so I will pay particular attention to the hole lengths and #18.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does one birdie 18?

Does anyone know how they measured distance here? I felt like they were off, but it was likely me.

how would you bird 7 w/out a forehand?

do you backhand the gap on 8 or annie/forehand over the road? or somethign else entirely?

do you throw the tunnel on the short hole coming away from the water or is there a secret looping shot?

The tee signs from from the original layout, and a lot of the tees have been moved, so they are off on a lot of them.

On hole 7 you can throw a backhand anhyzer shot with a, dare I say, discraft glide. I am trying to find an innova disc that will do the same thing, but have not succedded. The roller is also another good shot, just make sure you clear the corner.

I have tried both on hole 8 and birdie it more ofter with the hyzer through the gap, However since that is a risk reward shot and the birdies are not common enough to go for it all the time, I will play a safe forhand of anhyzer shot and try to get just past the tree line and play for a 3.

More people will 4 that hole then people who will 3 that hole, so play safe and go for the 3.

If you are talking about the same hole as brandon talked about I would suggest throwing it just like hole 1 at ross. Play a straight shot thorugh the gap. If you don't make it, it is an easy three, if you do make it you will have a chance at a duece.

On 18 I throw back hand and try to miss the tree. If you got the arm, it is very birdiable.

Caleb Wolfe
mook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Walcott a couple times on Saturday and had some thoughts.

First of all, in my opinion, I think the teepads there are ideal for any course. They don't get slippery when wet and have the perfect grip on your shoes. I am sure they are great for lawnmowers too.

On hole #7, I just keep throwing my big forearm and it curves right around the woods for a bird. Sometimes an easy putt sometimes not. The key is to make sure it gets to the left of the big corner. Even if you shank that hole on a forearm shot, its an easy 3.

On hole #8, I do a bigger copy of hole #7, except that you must stay tight to the big trees. If you flank it too far to the left, you won't get enough fade on a forearm to kick it over for a birdie. Also, if you turn over a forearm too much on this hole, you are likely to go in the road. I par this hole far more than anything. A birdie is nice, but I never expect one. Just like Caleb wrote, take your par and move on.

The tricky hole for me is hole #13. They moved the teepad and my Classic Roc doesn't stay stable enough for a straight shot at it. I will have to experiment.

Hole #14 has always been a big high forearm. I go over the trees instead of trying to weave through them. I did see Ray Jensen shoot a straight shot right through the trees to the basket. Easy three for him.

Hole #18 was alot easier than I thought it would be when I stepped up to the teepad. I played it twice and shot a Starfire through the gap of trees on the right. As soon as it cleared the trees, it faded to the left. Both times it landed right at the base of the rock wall with a 15-20 foot putt. I birdied both times.
novosel14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played a birthday round at Walcot and it was awsome!!!
ScottW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite not having played Walcott for some time now I will chime in my 2 cents, at least to the best of what I remember. I always played hole 7 safe with a forehand and played for 3 because my forehand sucks but at the time was the safest shot. Now I would probably throw a big anhyzer with a Leopard or bust out the lefty backhand. I think I could now get a lefty backhand in there with the proper distance but I don't think I could get it on 8. I'd consider playing the hyzer backdoor on 8 now becuase I think I could hit it but would also consider playing a controlled anhyzer with my well worn STAR Wraith. I am not sure where any of the new tees got moved to so I cannot comment on 13 but 14 I always played a big hyzer forehand and used the rock backing as a backboard if needed. I never went up the middle because I had no confidence that I could hit the gap, I think I could get it now though. As unlikely as it is, I am hopeful to try to make it down there for this year's Southern Idaho Championship because Walcott is awesome Exclamation

On a side note: if anyone down there was thinking about coming up to north Idaho for some DG tourneys or casual play feel free to give me a holler with a PM here. My wife and I are moving into our first house soon and are within easy driving distance of Corbin Park in Post Falls, Cherry Hill in Coeur d'Alene, and Farragut State Park; as well as Downriver, Highbridge, and 4 Mound in Spokane.
novosel14

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin ther isnt a link for the walcot monthly.... though I would let you know.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no links for monthlies. I am not that tech. We're just going off of the calendar in the link at the top of the page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: