10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Groove is on innovas' website!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Thrown 2 diffrent weights. a 168 and a 172. I like it alot. Bigger arms will probibaly turn this disc over. But could possibaly like it. As far as my throw goes right now, it flies straight with light-moderate fade. With little practice, I've gotten about 10-15 feet more D than the best throw I've ever had with my Monarch or Beast.
The greatest challenge to over-come with this disc and the Boss, is the grip. The rim is just large enough that it draws away from speed(spin) you can put on it. But It is a keeper in my bag! And will be for a long time.
As a side note, I am enjoying the fact that Innova has a plastic similar to the Crystal Elite Z plastic from Discraft. This style plastic is just sharp looking. I don't know how it will hold dye, but with Proto stamps on both of the ones I have, Im not sure if I will ever find out.
English101

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking last night that it looks like "crystal" plastic.

Please, please, please don't ever take the protostar off for a dye job, ever.

When the standard versions are out, I will work on an Austin Powers edition.
Noah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha! Oh come one Matt! Where's your sense of adventure???
Hahaha JM! I like hangin on to proto's. It's like a new hobby.
fiya79

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: threw proto Reply with quote

I threw a groove today in the baseball field. the field was soggy. it had up to 2 inches of water in most of the outfield but the extreme corners were dry. there was probably a 5 mph wind, not too bad.

the first throw I tought "throw a monarch shot" so I threw a 20 degree high hyzer, hard with moderate spin. it went pure hyzer. not tunover.

for #2 I threw a slight hyzer to flat shot. it went straight for about 300 feet then faded hard. going about 350-360.

next I threw a slight anhyzer. it went really well holding the line for abour 360 and fading hard to end at about 400. I threw a mega anhyzer too low next and it skipped like a stone on the water.

I finally decided it is basically like a star stamp boss. fairly stable, but straight with a hard fade at the end.

not sure it is a breakthrough. could just beat in a boss. But once it beats in it might be really long. it does have a monster skip and a little more fade than I'd like.

mine is a 174 orange.

oh but I really like the plastic. super grippy, almost gummy champion.
ScottW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English101, not that it matters much but it looks as though Innova changed the flight ratings from what they put out initially. It is a 13, 6, -2, 2. It basically looks like it will be a faster Valkyrie with better glide. I will be interested to throw this one. I can see it now 400+ foot anyhzers, huge rollers, or big ol' anhyzer flips. Could be fun Very Happy
English101

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be too blunt, but I got the official innova catalog yesterday along with the new prices and products. The stats I listed on the disc are out of their published catalog. If it is inaccurate, then it has been shipped to every retail outlet incorrectly. They only publish it once a year that would be quite a blunder. I thought it was listed originally as a 2, -2. That is the reason I was surprised by the numbers in the catalog. On page 5, there is a picture of the disc with disc with the flight numbers listed on the disc at -2, 1. Again on page 31 it is listed as a -2, 1. It does seem odd that it doesn't match up to the website. It seems that that website would be easier to change then the catalog, and based on Lance's review it sounds a little more like a -2, 2 type of a disc. Maybe the protostar is slightly different like with the boss.
ScottW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that when I first saw the Groove listed on Innova's website that it was listed at 13, 6, -2, 1, the turn on the website is now listed at -2, 2 (Valkyrie-like as opposed to SL like). I also seem to remember the numbers changing a couple time for the Destroyer when it first came out. I think the Destroyer was originally listed as being a 0,4 for turn but they changed to to be listed as being a little more high-speed understable and I think it is actually a -1,4 for its turn. I think they also changed the glide number from what they originally released with the Destroyer, so it wouldn't be the first time Innova has changed flight characteristic numbers after the disc was released.
English101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case, I think the big screw up is in the retail catalog. Not that I am any kind of an expert, but throwing it today, it felt a lot more like a -2, 2. I have a 167 and 169 only tried the 167.
ScottW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely not saying that you are wrong and I am right but I do know that Innova has changed flight characteristic numbers after a disc has been released after they got enough feedback to warrant it. As far as how the Groove flies I have no idea, I just picked up a 174g but have no intention of throwing it until I get to throw someone else's first. I do like the idea behind it though, fast, understable, and good glide.
staatsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Dave Dunipace's (of Innova) comment on the Groove numbers from the PDGA web site:

The fade number should probably be 2, instead of 1. Initial testing was a little different than the main run. Fade numbers for the wide rim discs are more difficult to pin down as they are very dependent on nose angle at release. Any nose up will make the disc appear to be more overstable and nose down will appear to have less fade and stability.
mooch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to let you guys know if anybody is interested I found some Star grooves (the black and orange ones) only 500 of them were made. they are listed on the dynamic discs store on ebay for $29.95 with $3 shipping they have about 10 of them from what i can tell.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: groovin Reply with quote

I'm still not impressed with the groove yet.

Not understable enough to be different from the boss.- and excessive fade for an "understable disc"

for a stable driver not really consistent for me enough, yet.

I keep losing them too, that doesn't help my attitude.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lance's review. I don't know if my Groove will ever be more than a "neat" disc. I am playing with a Groove and a Boss right now, and I still love my Destroyers and Xcals.

Now, if I had a wide fairway on a 500+ foot hole, I may turn to a Groove for raw distance simply because it is that fast. But, that's about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: