7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halloween Haunt Tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjemmett

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Halloween Haunt Tournament Reply with quote

Brandon (Mook) Merzlock is going to TD another great midnight golf tournament in honor of Halloween. This year it will be at Upper Ross Park.

You can see all the information about it here: http://pvdgc.org./index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=9

== Edit: More information from Mook ===

I have updated the flyers on both courses and posted them at IF and Blackfoot.

LED LIGHTS
I have also purchased a "sample" LED light that will be used for night play at the tournament. The kit actually comes with 2 LED lights and a 3 volt watch battery and super sticky adhesive (I had to really tug to get this stuff off my disc). The LED light work the best with Glo Discs, but Z and Champion Plastic are great as well. I went and played Ross Park with them a couple of times and it was awesome!! It is easier to find your disc in the dark with these things than in the light. Plus, it only takes $3 out of your registration as apposed to last year when $11 was taken out for a glo disc and glo stick.

Sponsorship
Caleb has committed to have the Haunted Forest sponsor the event. I am getting additional gift certificates as provided by Qwest, and John Riggs at Z103 has committed as well. I am sure there will be more.

Course Layout
The layout will change just a bit. There will be a hole added in front of the bathrooms, hole #2 basket will be moved 120ft back and will be used for the ring of fire (which will be awesome with all those glowing discs), Hole #9 basket will be moved to the right close to the wooded area. There will be a temporary tee for original #9 basket that will serve as the #10 hole. It will play from deep in the wooded area by the Zoo fence up to the original #9 basket (about 200 foot hole). The last added hole will be on the south side of the pavillion.

The decor promises to be bigger and better than last year so far as well.

Last edited by jjemmett on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year was a surprise hit at Jensen's Grove in Blackfoot for the Halloween Haunt and this year promises to be twice as good! We filled all 9 holes last year so we will be doing 12 holes 5 players max on each hole, so bring your family and friends, you don't need to be an expert to play in this event.

Also, we will be giving away a prize for the best jack-o-lantern, so bring that to the tournament (lighted of course) and we will put them on the tee boxes and let everyone vote for their favorite one. Bring as many as you want!
mook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if anyone is willing to volunteer to help out with sponsorship, set up, take down, registration, or the Ring of Fire, it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone wants to learn how to run a disc golf event so that we can have more events in the future, I would be glad to give a tutorial and have you walk through this tournament with me as well.

If anyone could help as to any leads for sponsorship, it would greatly help! If you work at a place that would like to sponsor, if you would like to sponsor, or know of a place that might be interested, PLEASE let me know at mymookmail@yahoo.com or call me (Brandon) at 208-406-4451.

Anything can be sponsored, such as merchandise, gift certificates, services, food, money. There is no "minimum" as to what can be sponsored either. Anything helps to make the tournament a better experience.
mook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearance for the Halloween Haunt is finalized. Lance has assured me that we have clearance to stay past park curfew for the event! Thanks Lance!
mook

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the flyers on both courses and posted them at IF and Blackfoot. I have also purchased a "sample" LED light that will be used for night play at the tournament. The kit actually comes with 2 LED lights and a 3 volt watch battery and super sticky adhesive (I had to really tug to get this stuff off my disc). The LED light work the best with Glo Discs, but Z and Champion Plastic are great as well. I went and played Ross Park with them a couple of times and it was awesome!! It is easier to find your disc in the dark with these things than in the light. Plus, it only takes $3 out of your registration as apposed to last year when $11 was taken out for a glo disc and glo stick.
Also, Caleb has committed to have the Haunted Forest sponsor the event. I am getting additional gift certificates as provided by Qwest, and John Riggs at Z103 has committed as well. I am sure there will be more.
The layout will change just a bit. There will be a hole added in front of the bathrooms, hole #2 basket will be moved 120ft back and will be used for the ring of fire (which will be awesome with all those glowing discs), Hole #9 basket will be moved to the right close to the wooded area. There will be a temporary tee for original #9 basket that will serve as the #10 hole. It will play from deep in the wooded area by the Zoo fence up to the original #9 basket (about 200 foot hole). The last added hole will be on the south side of the pavillion.
The decor promises to be bigger and better than last year so far as well.
jjemmett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome Mook!
mook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten alot of question about the glow discs and if you can change your disc around during play. The LED glow kit is stuck on the disc by tape so it can be moved to another disc between holes. The rule for the tournament will be that you must use some type of glow disc during play whether it be the LED glow kit included in with your registration or your own glow disc or both. If you bring your own glow disc, I would make sure you have some way to make it glow, otherwise if you want to throw more than one disc, you can purchase another LED glow kit for $3.00 while they last. I can guarantee you that the LED glow kit makes your disc easier to find at night than playing in the day. It works great and I haven't seen an affect on the flight of the disc.
The official rule for the tournament is you must use a glow or lighted disc unless you are within 50 feet of the basket, then you can use your putter without any glow or light. The baskets will be lighted! So, bring one driver and one putter. If you want to throw more than that, bring another $3.00.
mook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad at Soccer Rocker's confirmed sponsorship of the Halloween Haunt as well. Brad Shelgren at NBC and the Idaho State Journal are interested in covering the event as well, so if you or anyone you know would like to get in some last minute sponsorship, please let me know ASAP!
mook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a mock tournament last Saturday night and everything ran smoothly except for the cheap Wal-Mart batteries. A couple things I would bring up though, BRING A FLASHLIGHT. Even though the baskets are lit up, everything else isn't! Also, we had a disc stuck 40 feet up in a tree. The only way to resolve this is to get a new LED kit and bring an extra driver. The LED Kit costs $3 so bring an extra driver and $3 just in case you get a disc stuck that you can't get out. It will be cold on Saturday so dress warm.
mook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tournament course will be set up at noon on Saturday if anyone wants to familiarize themselves with the course before the tournament starts.
ScottW

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, this could be interesting. I will actually be in town for this one. I will have to try to break my wife down and see if maybe she would want to join. I was originally planning on only playing Bengal Ridge on Sat. afternoon but Ross Park in the dark could be fun. Perhaps I will see some of you there.

ScottW
PDGA # 28786
mook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more the merrier (if that's how you spell it).
ScottW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed you all. I just couldn't spark my wife's interest in playing DG at night so I passed on the idea as well. I actually didn't throw any discs on either Sat. or Sun., two rare sunny, calm days that I didn't take advantage of, oh well. How was the tournament? Any results? I probably won't make it back down there until next spring but just keep posting info here and I'll try to meet up with some of you when I do get back down there.

Later

ScottW
PDGA# 28786
bwilliam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Halloween Haunt Tournament Feedback Reply with quote

Brandon, I thought the tournament was a lot of fun. Thank you for going to all the trouble of decorating the park. It was pretty creepy out there. I particularly liked the spiders in front of basket #7 that woke up at the sound of a disc hitting the basket. All of the eerie music was cool too.

I hated all of the strobe lights. Boy, they can really mess with your mind when you're putting right at one.

The lights worked great. I didn't have any trouble with them. I should have put a light on my putter as well.

Brett
jjemmett

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Feedback Reply with quote

Thanks Mook for the great time!

It was really fun. I hope this turnes into a regular thing up there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: