6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two New Courses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we all have schedules and I am the only one without one, but Jon and I really need at least one other person to help with pouring cement tees this Monday. Ride up with me, I will be leaving at 9:00am. Give me a call or send me an e-mail and we can meet up and go.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know what my schedule is like next week, but if i don't have to work on monday i will ride with you and help out
wwashby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Monday No Sat Maybe Reply with quote

Brandon,
I have to work Monday but my family might go out Sat. for a few hours to Lava, do you need me to do anything? That you can give me directions for?
Wendell
mook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I haven't checked out yet is that willow tree around the basket placement on 9. Remember that last hole right next to the river? It is well grown over now and may need some pruning. Take a look at it and bring some clippers if you think it is necessary. If it looks fun without clipping then leave it alone. Everything else is done.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: progress update on Soda Springs Reply with quote

All tee pads are now poured, with the exception of #10, which will have to be a hand carry, hand mix job, at the top of a hiking trail. 12 yards of concrete today.

Thanks to Brandon for coming down and giving us a hand today. I gave him most of the guided tour before the call came into meet the concrete truck, and we had a chance to play the front 9 at the end of the day. The elevated green is not quite done, nor are the sand traps on hole 5, but things are looking good.

Unfortunately, it looks like someone chose to make off with one of our specially designed tee sign posts that was waiting to be cemented in. If a 3-D elk sculpture with a disc below, numbered 11, shows up on ebay I want to know.

I'm going to the wilderness for a few days on a pre-planned trip. I've left a task list for the city parks and rec folks. I'll be back on Monday of next week, and will be moving my office and self to Soda for the rest of the week on Tuesday.

Remember to register online for the tournament: www.pdgasignup.com, July 2008, Soda Springs Summer Fling. We've got a pile of folks coming from Utah, and a few signed up from Idaho, so far.
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and played all eighteen at Soda. For those who are rated 900 or better, here is my two cents. The hole lengths are approximations.

Hole 1, 270 feet: Dogleg right with some trouble trees for leftys and forearms. You still should be getting a 2 on this hole half the time. There is mostly nothing in the way.

Hole 2, 390 feet: Tight fairway once you get accross the road. Stay in the clear and it should be an easy 3. Its a tough 2 but it can be done. (pin is in long position)

Hole 3, 320 feet: This hole is how you write up a backhand drive on paper. Execute well and it should be an easy 2. Lefties, tight fairway. Watch your disc in the high grass so you don't lose it.

Hole 4, 330 feet?: Wide open, its the basket in the basket hole (you'll see). A good putt should be a 2.

Hole 5, 570 feet?: Longer drivers actually will not benefit from the long drive unless they can clear the first sand trap. Drive short of the first sandtrap and a really good approach over the second one will reward you. There is OB all over the place. Be happy if you end up with a 4.

Hole 6, 270 feet: Dogleg right. Some tree trouble. If you can clear the trees right next to the basket, you should get a 2 on this more than half the time.

Hole 7, 300 feet: Very very tight fairway and much trouble if you get off it. There may be no out off the beaten path. If you know you can drive it, go over all the trees. If not, be safe, stay on the fairway. A good drive will reward a 2.

Hole 8, 390 feet. Don't risk it on this hole. It can be a penalty killer and wind up with a 5 or worse very easy. It may be tempting to go over the trees, but stay in the open spaces and take your 3. You will be alot happier and your bag will stay full.

Hole 9, 250 feet: Don't overthink it. A nice finesse forearm or anny backhand and you are right there. Should be a 2.

Hole 10, 170 feet: If you don't get a 2 on this hole you will be kicking yourself. Take a putter out and throw it straight to the basket, even if you hit a tree, you still have a putt.

Hole 11, 380 feet?: The trees are tight up front. Go straight at the hole. If you waiver, favor the right side of the hole as the left side is thick. Two good shots should be a drop in 3. A very tough 2 but it can be done.

Hole 12, 220 feet?: Ther is a sucker fairway on the right, don't be a sucker. Throw a backhand through the hole and it should naturally go to the hole. If you layup on this hole, layup right of the basket as the left hand side is full of trouble. You should 2 this 30 percent of the time.

Hole 13 390 feet: Blind shot. Aim just right of the rounded tree sticking up in the back. Forearm, backhand, either should work. It plays more like 330 with the slope and drop so don't overthrow it. A descent throw should land a 2.

Hole 14, 600 feet?: Very long hole with a 30 foot fairway. Be safe, aim at the short tee pad on your drive, take a 4 and prosper. Don't try to go over the trees unless you KNOW you will land in the fairway as there is OB on the left side and the jungle on the right.

Hole 15, 270 feet: Pretty basic hole, just stay out of the trees on the left so you have a putt for a 2. If you are in the trees, even if you are 15 feet away, you are likely not to have a descent putt at the basket. Should be a 2.

Hole 16, 550 feet: Take a minute to catch your breath from the hike up. Annheiser backhand or forearm to the left of the trees is the best. I shot an easy three with a forearm from the blue tee. There is a regular backhand shot, you need to decide if the reward is greater than the risk. If you hit the trees off the start, you are looking at a 4.

Hole 17, 290 feet: Basic uphill shot. Remember that it is uphill so give it a little more than usual. A 2 is obtainable here.

Hole 18, 420 feet?: The drive is the key here. Don't shank it and you should have an easy 100 fott or less upshot for a 3. Another tough 2 that can be accomplished from you big drivers.

There ya go. Just follow these simple steps and you will come home with the trophy. Jon said there were 28 people pre-registered, but it sounds like there might be 50 -60 players there.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the course walkthrough, Brandon. I should have handed you a scorecard, as I had just come from the printer when I saw you. Your distances are pretty close on those, though.

One caveat to all.....There is a whole bunch of potential for lost discs on this course. The grass here grows (it seems) a foot a day. We will be mowing this afternoon and evening to make sure we get the fairways as clean as possible. We were out with chainsaws this morning before the sun came up, cleaning up 18 and 12 and doing some last minute work on 14 (no, not making it easier).

If you bring your mental game, you can get birdies on this course.
If you don't, you can expect to go home with a bag full of bogies.
The course is design to make you play with every disc in your bag. If you think that a tee pad is only meant for Wraiths and TeeBirds, you will learn differently. The length of the course (6300+ from the Blues) says Driver Driver Driver...but I'm guessing the smart player will be throwing a lot of Rocs and Sharks.

Good Luck to all....if you cant make it for the tourney, please get on down to Soda and enjoy.

jon
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this by myself and didn't have too much trouble with lost discs, but you know its a whole different story in a tournament. Don't assume you know where its gonna land and don't just watch your own throw. Its part of the game to help keep track of the rest of your group. There will be lost discs tomorrow. I guarantee it, but not as I originally thought.

I agree with Jon that this course can eat you up if you try to drive farther than you know you can. Play smart, be conservative. Play to the gaps and don't let bogeys or greater mess with your head. EVERYBODY will have bogeys on their cards tomorrow. What makes you any different? Don't let it get to you.

Last of all. I know how much work goes into a course and Jon has put in more than overtime on this course. Everybody should give Jon and the city of Soda Springs (there were a ton who helped) a huge "THANK YOU" tomorrow. This course will be a gem in the the Gem State.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't been to Soda Springs yet... I reccomend it. Go when its hot to avoid the mosquitos and bring some bug spray. also prepare to look for discs (try not to play alone). i really enjoyed this course and i've played a lot of courses so it is hard to impress me with a new course. from the courses of his that i have played this is by far Jon Lyksett's best work. Kudos Jon, i had a blast. too bad i lost a disc and my second round sucked at the tourny.

Sincerely,

James Litchfield
ScottW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Another new course in Idaho Reply with quote

I thought I'd give a little info. on another new course in Idaho. Cherry Hill Disc Golf Course will open in Coeur d'Alene here in the next few weeks. The city has the baskets and has a work day sheduled for Aug. 9th and will be supplying city workers to help along with 30 or so disc golf volunteers to try to get the course installed in 1 day. It won't officially open until the city gets all of its business sponsors for each hole but will be ready for baskets to be dropped in probably on the 10th or 11th. If you ever make it up to north Idaho hit me up and I will take you through any of the area courses especially Cherry Hill or Farragut. I think this course could make its way into the Inland Northwest Series next year as a tour stop and I am talkin to my dad to see if he will run a sanctioned tourney at Cherry later this summer

It's awesome to hear about all the new courses in the state. The next excuse I have to get down to SE Idaho I will make sure I hit up Lava and Soda.

On a side note, there is also a new course at Whitefish Mountain Resort (formerly the Big Mountain) in Whitefish, Montana. As of now it is only tones but with increased use could be converted to baskets next year. I hear the course is sick and very well designed to treat everyone fairly and is rough, so if you are going up to Glacier NP or the Kalispell area check out the new course at Whitefish Mtn. Resort.
mook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo...I went up to Sister City Park and found a layout I believe would work. There are holes ranging from 170 feet to 400+ feet with plenty of tree hazards, minimal private propery risks, and sharp elevation changes. If we did do Sister City Park, I would really like it to be 18 holes and use 8 holes in the lower area. There are more than just junipers down there and eventually maybe we could convince the city to utilize the irrigation lines down there and get some grass in.

I still feel that Sacajawea/North City Park is the best spot for a course in the city. They have put in a new bridge, revegatating the area, controlled the flooding, and it looks like they are putting in a new parking lot.

I say if the budget is there, see if we can get 18 baskets (permanent please) and we will use them no matter where we go with the course.
wwashby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: I'll help Reply with quote

I like the Sister City Idea because it is close to my new work. I don't know where the Sacajawea/North City Park is exactly could you give me directions/ address please?
mook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pgfweb.com/sacajawea.htm
wwashby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Greenway vs. City Reply with quote

Thanks it looks good on the map. I take a trip by. I had a couple of thoughts also. (Maybe Lance would know the answers.)
It seems that the city is behind putting in a new course. Does that mean they want to put it in by the river? Is this land city, greenway foundation, county land? Would it have the same backing as the city's parks? I like the idea of water hazards. So I would support either.
mook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance can probably answer this better. From what I understand, Sacajawea Park is the city's, North City Park (I don't know the difference between the two) is the Greenway's. The problem is that some of it may very well be private property. I just don't know. The area is underutilized and has room for 27 holes I think. Disc Golf would keep the area in its natural state. I don't see why they would be opposed to increased traffic due to this being the reason of the greenway in the first place.

After spring, the river is low enough to see where your disc is and retrieve it if necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: