6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two New Courses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody showed but me so we didn't go out. We will try again in May. What would be a good weekend? May 3rd or 10th?
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Lava this morning and spoke with Mark and Les (Les is the Lion's club guy). The Lion's club is funding the entire project. They were convinced that buying baskets is the way to go. They are going to order 18 Innova DisCatchers next week. I laid out another 9 holes at the Lions Club Park there. There are some pretty fun holes there....and a couple of fillers. I told them if they ordered the baskets, we (meaning the club) would put them in for him. Long story short, we got work to do, and our July Monthly will be at a brand new permanent disc golf course.

Thanks Jon for throwing a third course into the mix. Is there any volunteer work needed at Soda Springs to install that course?

Also, Massacre Rocks still needs to be laid out. I have called and asked for Ranger Dan who supposedly is heading up the course, but to no avail. So, we will continue our efforts there.

Mindy Clark is going to design our Ross Park Course Signs and then Ross Park will be officially finished. I have been trying to move 3 baskets a week at Ross so it's on a normal rotation which means that each placement should stay for three weeks before it gets moved again, but I haven't officially talked to Lance about the rotation yet.

Thanks for everybody's help on all this stuff.
wwashby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Count me in. Reply with quote

I'd be happy to plan a family soak/work day at Lava. Let me know when, is good for everybody and I'll do my best to be there, or go out when I can.
Wendell
mook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lava baskets have been ordered. I really need another 1 or 2 people to come look at the layouts with me. We have rough drafts. The one around the swimming pool I am mostly happy with, but the one at the Lions Club Park is a very rough draft and I really need to tweek some holes. Absolutely anytime in the next week I am willing to go down with someone and work on it. I want to make sure this course is going to be played.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Lava....congrats Reply with quote

mook wrote:
The Lava baskets have been ordered. I really need another 1 or 2 people to come look at the layouts with me. We have rough drafts. The one around the swimming pool I am mostly happy with, but the one at the Lions Club Park is a very rough draft and I really need to tweek some holes. Absolutely anytime in the next week I am willing to go down with someone and work on it. I want to make sure this course is going to be played.

Brandon,
I'm sure you've done a good job. Just remember that Lava is awash with people most summer weekends and safety is JOB ONE. Every time I drive by there on the way to Soda I wonder...Where???....

Also consider recreational tees on most holes so folks will have a good time and not get burned out on long stuff. We need to get something in Star Valley, WY and then in Swan Valley, ID, so we can do a marathon day...Ross Park, Lava, Soda, WY, Swan, Idaho Falls, Blackfoot, finish at Bengal if anyone can walk.
Thanks and congrats.
jon
mook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The courses that are being installed are in areas that are underutilized. I am more concerned with liability issues than anyone.
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Two New Courses Reply with quote

Do we have opening dates for Lava and/or Soda?

I'm thinking of taking a Friday off in the next couple of weeks to go play the new courses.
mook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will heading up to Lava Hot Springs 3-4 times in the next two weeks to get the courses ready for the Lava Hot Springs Monthly. If anyone has anytime available to help out or come with me, I might be able to make it 1-2 trips. Let me know. Thanks!
wwashby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: I'd Help Reply with quote

Talk to me at league on Tuesday. I would be willing to help.
Wendell
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Two New Courses Reply with quote

lockec wrote:
Do we have opening dates for Lava and/or Soda?

I'm thinking of taking a Friday off in the next couple of weeks to go play the new courses.

The Soda Springs course will officially open on Saturday, July 26. I've gotten 14 of the 27 tee pads poured and the front 9 is about ready to play. A couple of the unique features are still under construction, but all is moving ahead on schedule.

Part of the grand opening celebration of the course will be a PDGA sanctioned C-Tier. Signup is available at www.pdgasignup.com. Click to Soda Springs Summer Fling. Thanks to a grant from the PDGA, membership is not required for this event, in order to stimulate interest in competitive disc golf. I realize that this event is the same weekend as Targhee, but its a one-day tourney, and will be run by PDGA rules (no 'beverage of choice' allowed during rounds). I'm adding at least $100 cash to the pro division and providing player's packs to all, value at least $25. Lunch will be provided.

Next Wednesday, July 9, there will be a work day at the course with employees of Monsanto, and anyone else that wants to assist. We hope to get the last of the tee pads poured and the last of the clearing done. Then we can seed the new fairways with native grasses. I'll stick around and host a course walkthrough (throw-through?) if anyone is interested. Email me at discgolf_idaho at msn dot com for directions to the course and time of walkthrough.
mook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be dragging a crew up to Lava on Thursday (10th) for a couple hours of work. If you have a 300 foot tape or rolling measurer tool to bring that would be great! We will leave at 2:45pm at Ross Park and you are welcome to ride with me. Wendell, we will still pick you up at 3:00.

I also plan on going up to help with Soda on Wednesday the 9th if anyone wants to ride up with me. Jon, what time are we meeting?
wwashby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Bad News Reply with quote

I should have checked with my wife earlier. She is hosting a spa party that night which means Thursday is now now good for me. But you all are invitied to be pampered at the spa party. Confused Can we regroup for Friday the 11th same bat time, same bat channel?
Long Live Batman.
Wendell
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mook wrote:
I also plan on going up to help with Soda on Wednesday the 9th if anyone wants to ride up with me. Jon, what time are we meeting?

I'll be there all day, starting at about 8:00 am. Monsanto is providing help for the last of the tee pads and augering the holes for the back nine sleeves and signs. I imagine that I'll be done with their crews at about 2:00, and will be working on small projects the rest of the day. The front nine is done except for two tee pads, and the back will be playable if all goes well on the 9th.

If you want to come down in the late afternoon, that would be fine, but i'm going to be there into the early evening, so a dinnertime round would be fine as well.

Also, I can lend you my 300 foot tape, digital wheel, and laser rangefinder for a few days, if it would help with the Lava project. I'll have them with me on the 9th so you can take them then. The tradeoff is that you let me run the distances through the hole estimator software i use and give you a report on tweaking distances, etc, before you commit to concrete.

See you next week!

jon
mook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendell, I am off to Boise for the Baked Potato Open on Friday. Leagues the rest of the week so we will have to still shoot for Thursday without you. Thanks anyway. Everyone is still invited.

I will also be heading up to Soda to help on Wednesday. I will leave Ross at 8:00am if anyone wants to meet up with me and catch a ride. We will work through the morning and if time permits, play what holes we can to see the course.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: progress report on Soda Springs Reply with quote

We had 10 employees from Monsanto and a half dozen community volunteers show up on Wednesday. After much travail and energy spent, we got the two tee pads on #8 poured (across a creek, hauling a tenth of a yard at a time in a rickety trailer behind an ATV) and the #12 blue which is the highest pad on the course. Lots of brush hauled off the fairways to be carted away. A good portion of the rock borders of the sand traps on #5 are done. Shawnae and Bryce Somsen and I worked until after dark, mowing and pruning on several of the holes.

Next Monday we will attempt to pour the rest of the tee pads, and get the last of the sleeves and sign posts in. Any and all are welcome to come and assist, as it looks like the city crew won't be there, after a weekend boy's baseball tournament.

Remember to sign up for the C-Tier at www.pdgasignup.com. There will be plenty of space for camping (tents and RVs with no hookups) on Friday 25th and Saturday 26th. If people are in town, we'll run a random draw doubles on Friday evening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: