10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Courses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Favorite Courses Reply with quote

Does anyone have any favorite courses outside of the area? I will always consider Bengal Ridge to be my favorite course, but outside SE ID, where is the good disc golf.

For instance, I played in Portland, OR, for the Beaver State Fling a few years ago and loved the course layout at Dabney State Park and Milo-McIver State Park. Very cool, water, trees, hills, tight fairways, bomb drives, left turns, right turns... I'm going back to Oregon here in a week or so and I intend on playing these again.

Anyone else have any courses outside SE ID?
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condon Park in Grass Valley, CA will always be both my favorite and my home course. Lots of placements, tight fairways, tons of trees and a creek. heres a link to an 18 hole slideshow of the course:

http://www.pickyourdisc.com/Courses/MoreInfo_Condon.htm

Rocklin Disc Golf Course in Rocklin, CA. different placements, long holes, a creek, a little marsh area, all dirt so big skips are in play.

Hanging Oaks in Penn Valley, CA. lots of placements, a creek, a pond, a hole with a moat around one of the basket placements. tight fairways, lots of trees, no to busy, kind of hidden away. heres the 18 hole slideshow:

http://www.pickyourdisc.com/Courses/MoreInfo_PennValley.htm

DeLaveaga Park in Santa Cruz, CA. where do i even begin with this course. by far one of the best courses in the world. 27 holes. anyone that loves disc golf should try to get here at least once in their life. heres a link for more info: http://www.delaveagadiscgolf.com/

i could go on and on about courses, but these four courses and Bengal Ridge are my top five. if you want to know more we can talk in person. all these courses are on the pdga website in the course directory if you want more info

Last edited by pole vaulter on Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meeman-Shelby State Park outside of Memphis, TN. 36 holes through elevation and tight woods. It's been there since 1978.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

added some links with photos of my fav courses for your viewing pleasures. don't get too jealous that i grew up playing these amazing courses
mook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buhl, ID course is my favorite. I only need to take a putter. Other than that...Moab Rocks. When I was in Wisconsin, there were some pretty amazing courses. Hiestand Park and Elver Park in Mad City, Wisconsin were awesome. Groomed fairways and HUGE tight elevation changes. If you had an errant shot on these courses, you were toast. You would find someone elses disc before yours.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Mirada, in Golden State configuration. My weenie arm makes it a double-bogey course for me, but there's everything you could want. Elevation, rollers, tight OB, woods, open fairways, blind holes. Last time I played it, I got to play in a practice round fivesome with Kenny, Dunipace, Sammy Ferrans, and Val Jenkins. Humbling, but I sure did learn a lot of tricks. Too bad I'm so old and frail, or I might be able to put it to good use.

Camelot Lodge near Moab. Yeah, yeah, I designed and built it, but there's no more beautiful place in the world. Hole 6 has to be the most glorious tee shot in existance with the Colorado River curving below you and Dead Horse Point looking down on you from the distance.

Milo Mc Iver State Park in Beaver State set-up. A sweet park course complex that can handle national tour events. Two 18-hole daily play courses that combine into an 18-hole supercourse. Restrooms all over, lots of parking, camping, etc.

and of course

Winthrop Gold. Since I've aced #1, never lost a disc on #17, and birdied the 888 hole twice, I'm always ready to go back for more. (Staff play rounds are sooooo much fun!) Even if you never qualify to play in the USDGC, you should take a vacation week and go volunteer to staff this one. You'll get a chance to see, and maybe even play with, all the top players in the world, and after seeing so much wonderful golf, you get to sit on the side of the hill and watch Avery, Brinster, and friends bomb 300 or so DX Wraiths 650 feet or more across the lake (elevation helps).

That said, we've got a lot of really nice courses in the area here and getting more as we write. With the par-3 mentality finally broken, and more real GOLF design going into the courses, we have lots of opportunity here in Southeast Idaho.

Let's go throw!
RobBull

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order of favorites

1. Maple Hill Marshall Street MA - You never would think a course that plays in and around a christmas tree farm could be so much fun. Elevation, water, wooded shots & a few open shots. Lots of holes have risk reward options. The Marshall Street DVD's do it some justice, but it is a must play. Its private and last time I was out there it was like $5 to play.

2. Solitude Utah - I love leaving the course feeling challenged. The high elevation & elevation change make it a unique disc golf experience. Each year at least one of the top pros at the Full Throttle Challenge has a complete meltdown. You can birdie a hole one round and then take a 6 the next if you get the slightest bit sloppy.

3. La Mirada CA - Like Jon said it is just a nice well rounded course with almost every element. Find a local to help with learning your way around the course the first time.

4. Condon Park Grass Valley CA - Fun but challenging with alot of good elements. It has been 7 or so years, I need to go back.

5. Bengal Ridge Pocatello ID - You guys have something really special up there. It is demanding both physically and mentally. Like Solitude I feel challenged when I leave, sometimes just beat down.

Honorable mentions
Auburn Regional Park - CA Played my first round of golf there in the 80's.
Lake Walcott - Its just a good unique course in the middle of no where.
Pyramids Marshall Street MA - The first place I saw a basket hanging from a tree.
Riverpark Utah - Designed some of the holes.
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

wish i played as much golf as jon. But mindy and I have done some traveling with discs.

Mindy and I played all of the houston area courses a few years ago. The worlds were held there centered on the tom bass courses. I though they were pretty lame though. long at times, but way too open and super flat. very few obstacles, dry grass and the wind didn't help. seemed backhand hyzer dominant too much as well.

we did like the course in Conroe, TX. exactly the opposite. shady, a mix of holes and some elevation, and well manicured. brick tees, very classy, good signs (engraved rocks actually) well watered, a river..... just nice. Plus I played well.
It actually reminds me now of ross park with a river and 300-400 foot holes.

Fountain hills in AZ was pretty good. Again, a little too open for me, but the water is cool and it is green for AZ. the rest of the phoenix area is lacking. only one other course made much of an impression. But not enough to remember the name.

camelot in UT was OK but we were burning up, the water we got at the lodge tasted like rust and we got super tired and burned. I played pretty well, under par I think. If it was cooler I would dig it.

The Flagstaff course by the university was worth the effort. it has cool trees, no lost discs despite tricky shots. elevation in sufficient but not ridiculous quanitites. too bad it was snowing on us.

I haven't been blown away by any of the other Utah courses so far (haven't palyed solitude yet though) creekside is OK.

Nothing in Vegas is that great either. I think we've played most of them.

I hope we can swing through southern californis soon and have a surf and turf vacation. Probably spring break 2009 or by fall at least.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBull

I agree that Auburn Regional/ Chana Park is an honorable mention, but it tends to get swampy in the fall when it rains a lot and really hot in the summer. they changed the course a little a couple of years ago and the layout is kind of confusing, but other then that its a fun course and can be challenging depending on the pin placements.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Camelot has two short seasons....February to March, and October to November. And the water there is a caveat...their well is in a salt dome, so if ya wanna drink, bring it yourself.

When you go to SoCal, let me know and I'll put you in touch with some folks that will show you some gems.

jon

(PS: I really don't play all that much. My formerly athletic body is nearing social security and has forced me into the realm of promoter and designer. I've developed good connections and have the freedom to travel for the good of the sport, so when I get a chance to play one of the classics, I take advantage.)
ScottW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my quick and dirty in no particular order - I must also admit that I haven't played much traveling DG, my wife kinda puts a damper on that Confused

Four Mound Disc Golf Reserve - Spokane, WA 54+ killer holes combinig into 2 complete and 2 partial courses plus a 27 hole killer combo, it's sick Twisted Evil

Farragut State Park - Athol, ID - 45 holes in very close proximity, with hole 1 from all 3 courses within 100 yards of each other.

Blue Mountain - Missoula, MT - I haven't played Diamond X so Blue is the best that I know in Big Sky Country

Solitude - Rediculous

Bengal and Walcott are also high on my short list of courses played, love 'em. Bengal is the most neglected gem in the state, it's sad Crying or Very sad

I just got to play the front 9 of the Championship Layout at La Mirada a couple weeks ago. I was a little disappointed, I thought it would be way harder. The distance was the only super hard challenge, otherwise it was a huge open grass park with a few tree, some roads as OB, strategic mandos and a sweet pond that I never once worried about throwing into. It was long, I never missed any mandos, and didn't go OB. The only hole that I thought was hard for reasons other than distance was hole 3. I am not saying I didn't have fun it just wasn't what I expected. I'd like to play it when it is in its normal layout. I missed a ton of other sweet courses when I was down there. I may have to try to plan a disc golf vacation to SoCal just so I can play all the courses that I missed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: