10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ontario, San Marino, Rancho ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Ontario, San Marino, Rancho ? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the differences in Roc molds? I've looked on the Innova website and couldn't find it explained.
ScottW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong here but I will do my best from what I have heard and what I know. The Rancho Roc is the standard mold of the Roc that most people see/use. It is the mold used for the DX Roc and the KC Pro Roc and tends to be the more overstable version. The Ontario Roc, which was originally released in the early 90's I believe, is the straighter, more stable version and has recently been reintroduced into production as CFR and TFR tournament discs by Innova. From what I understand the Ontario Roc is the straighter flyer of the two and I actually have heard so little about the San Marino Roc that I had probably better keep my mouth shut about it because I really don't know anything about the SM Roc. I hope that helps with the Rancho vs. Ontario molds though. The nice thing with the Rancho and Ontario molds is they are becoming easier to find in better plastics. I have a STAR Rancho Roc from Worlds a couple years ago and I have seen a ton of STAR Ontario Rocs recently too (my dad got some for the tourney he ran back in April), they are sick! If you look hard enough you can still find Champion Roc online similar to what Caleb has, I am not sure what mold they are though. I have also heard good things about the Pro Super Rocs that they put out this year for World's fundraisers. Let me know if you want some links to find various Rocs.
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the overview Scott. I looked a little deeper on the internet and found this about the San Marino mold.

The San Marino Roc is as stable as the Rancho Roc with less low speed fade, making it a straighter flyer. It is more high speed stable than the Ontario Roc.
http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/marino-2008-world-championships-p-1617.html
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: roc art Reply with quote

ah, the elusive roc info. I'm sure scott has it right, he's a devotee.

The PDGA discussion board has about 50 pages or poetic waxing about different roc molds and plastics and stamps and...... nerds.

I still can't throw one consistently. hate the bead. love the buzzz.
mook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Buzz out of my bag. The Roc is by far the most consistent and reliable disc known to man, especially in Champion plastic. As Brad would say....it is a miracle of science!
tkase

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Took the Roc Out Reply with quote

The universe is now balanced. I didn't realize the real level of what I was doing two weeks ago when I took the Roc out of my back and replaced it with an FLX Buzz. There was probably a brief rumbling in the univerversal web that holds life together before Mook took his Buzz out.

All is well now. That was close!
mook

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and can somebody PLEASE explain to me how being able to fold your disc in half (flx plastic) is an advantage?
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: see disc review thread Reply with quote

not really an advantage.

but the stickiness and absorbtion is. when it hits the ground (or basket) it just stops dead. go for it and not have a wicked long comeback putt. It isn't skip "proof" but definitely skip resistant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: