7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vastness of Disc Golf in SE Idaho

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Vastness of Disc Golf in SE Idaho Reply with quote

So, I did a rough tally of the courses within 100 miles of Poky in the Idaho state limits:

Bengal Ridge = 18 holes
Ross Park = 9
AF = 9
Blackfoot = 9
IF = 18
Lava = 18
Soda = 18
Massacre Rocks = 18
Rupert = 18
Rexburg = 9

So by my tally, there are 144 holes within 80 miles of Poky on 10 different courses. And these are all public, permanent courses.

Here is a tally for the same parameters for the Boise area:

Ann Morrison = 20
Eagle Island = 18
Bogus = 18
HP = 9 (ish)
Columbia Village = 9
Julia Davis = 9
Nampa = 9
New Plymouth = 9
Tamarack = 18

That tallies to 120 holes within a 100 mile radius for Boise on 9 different courses. But Julia Davis and HP are temporary and private respectively.

So, the point is that once all of these courses are installed in SE Idaho, we will have more holes and more courses within a one hour(ish) drive than Boise. Just thought I'd point that out. The numbers don't lie.

So the next time you say that Poky sucks, think about this post and smile.

Austin
mook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm smiling Very Happy
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Julia Davis a couple of times. Temporary- yes, private- no

That being said it will be nice to have some fresh courses close by.
ScottW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Check out north Idaho DG Reply with quote

The original post here I thought was very interesting and it got me curious how the disc golf situation in north Idaho compares to its southern Idaho brethren. Here goes:

I'll start by list fully public courses first:
Corbin Park - Post Falls, ID - 15 holes, possibly 18-19 soon
North Idaho College - Coeur d'Alene, ID - 9 holes
Bluegrass/Kiwanis Park - CDA, ID - 9 wimpy holes
Cherry Hill DGC - CDA, ID - 18 holes (the baskets are in the mail Very Happy )
Farragut State Park - Athol, ID - 45 holes
Downriver DGC - Spokane, WA - 21 holes
Highbridge Park DGC - Spokane, WA - 18 holes (soon to be 27)
University of Idaho - Moscow, ID - 9 holes
Sunnyside Park - Pullman, WA - 18 holes

Publicly available courses total 163 available holes over 9 courses which could soon expand to 175 or more if course expansions happen.

Here's the list of private courses also in the area in which they are mostly just a phone call for permission away:

Stimpi Ridge DGC - Spokane, WA - 9 holes x 2 tees
Schweitzer Mtn. Resort - Sandpoint, ID - 9 wimpy holes, I only consider this private because you have to pay $10 to ride the lift up to the top to play.
Four Mound Disc Golf Reserve - Spokane, WA - at least 54 holes - the best place for disc golf in the Inland Northwest.
Jack Crawford Memorial DGC - CDA, ID - 18 holes
Spring Creek DGC - CDA, ID - 18 holes
T-N-T Park - Airway Heights, WA - 9 holes
Fairchild AFB, Spokane, WA - 9 holes

That makes an additional 126 holes of available disc golf within 100 miles of Post Falls, for a total of 289 disc golf holes in the PF area Shocked Siiiiiiiick Exclamation Even that's news to me Cool

That's not to mention that there might be good possibilities of course proposals going in for either Plants Ferry Park in Spokane for 18 more or Mirabeau Park in Spokane for 18 and possibly a proposal for 18 at Black Bay Park in Post Falls. These last 3 are still merely speculation/desire and will be some time before they could come to fruition.
mook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK....thats impressive. But I am going to twist the statistics to make it look like we are better, since this seems to be a competition.

...and I have to add that it looks like Pocatello will be getting another course in the near future as well.

Now between Burley to Soda Springs to Pocatello to Idaho Falls to Rexburg there are approximately 200,917 people (I only added cities 1000 people or larger). By the end of the summer, we might have another 9 holes in Pocatello too. So that would make 1 basket for each 1313 persons.

From Pullman To Spokane To Couer D'Alene To Sandpoint there are approximately 408,203 people (same rules only counting cities 1000 or larger by the US Census). That makes 1 basket for every 1356 people....and thats counting all your "public/private/hope theres more holes in the future" calculations.

Don't get me started on Boise and Salt Lake City...we would toast them per capita. I am not even gonna add it up.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's throw another coal on the fire. Since we're making this a competiton, let's compare market sizes of the three areas being debated. The following are comparative demographics of the largest cities in the three areas that emphasize how much more Poky has done with so much less.

Boise-
635.450 people in the Metro area
Median Income of $42,432
2 Universities, 2 Colleges
4 Minor league Sports teams

Spokane
418,000 people in the Metro Area
Median Income of $41,636
3 Universities

Pocatello
83,303 people in the Metro Area
Median Income of $34,326
1 University

I am not trying to say that our kung fu is stronger than yours, but SE Idaho is disc golfing on pace with areas twice as populated. We aren't calling anyone out, we're just bragging while we can.

On a side note, I am looking forward to someday getting up to Northern Idaho so I can play some of these renowned courses. It sounds like a good time.

Austin
ScottW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't throw anymore coals on the fire because we all bring great and very interesting points to the arguement, that was good info. by all, so I will leave this dead horse alone Very Happy but lets not forget why there is such a discrepancy in population between the areas Laughing Austin, I am curious what schools you are counting as Universities in Spokane? Gonzaga obviously is one of them, but if you are counting EWU it is over 30 miles away in Cheney, WA, and I don't think is even considered part of greater Spokane and Whitworth is a joke, 4 year institution? Yes, but a joke nonetheless. What about Boise? BSU and what? Don't worry, I am not trying to continue this competition and think the schools have nothing to do with anything, but am just curious. I think the schools in the area are just happenstance unless a particular area has an on-campus or a campus-supported/funded course of which I know there are none in Spokane, unless you want to count the 9 holes at NIC Rolling Eyes
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merely as clarification, I was counting EWU but was unaware that it was in Cheney. In Boise, there's BSU, Northwest Nazarene, Albertson's College, and Boise Bible College. The reason I was discussing the various universities is that it speaks to the size and relative wealth of a city. Universities are generally really big revenue generators and people from all over go to universities, so they generally draw population as well.

I was only emphasizing the point Mook made in that Poky is not a large city by any stretch of the imagination, yet there are several good courses around here. Again, bragging while we can.

Austin
ScottW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: The Best Small Town Disc Golf Reply with quote

I found an area that trumps us all. The newest area of soon to be disc golf dominance is way-northwest Montana. Check it out...

Troy, MT - Population 957 - Timberbeast DGC 18 Holes
~20 miles to the east is
Libby, MT - Population 2626 - Libby DGC 9 holes (plus alternate tees to make 18 ), plus a new 18 hole course just north of town - so new I don't even now if it has been named.

Total population of the two = 3583/45 holes = 79.6 people per hole

Plus a little to the east is Kalispell which has 9 holes at Lawrence Park and very nearby is Whitefish which has 36 more holes between Buffalo Bob's and Smith Lake plus 18 more holes going in at Whitefish Mountain Resort (formerly Big Mountain). I also know of a private course just south of Troy that currently has 19 holes and should soon have another 18 (I helped build it), plus Sandpoint, ID which has 9. Who know what's in nearby Canada Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, if you ever find yourself in the Troy area consider yourself lucky because you are in what I consider to be one of the nicest parts of the state not in a national park. Troy is at the north end of both the Cabinet Mtns. Wilderness and the proposed Scotchman Peaks Wilderness and is just south of the Yaak (which should also be a wilderness but is not yet protected), plus you have great disc golf Cool Can it get any better Question Perhaps only if the mines weren't nearby Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: