7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ross park missing baskets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: ross park missing baskets. Reply with quote

I will keep a log here of the days that ross park will be missing baskets for school programs.

So far in May we have. Some of those are Fridays, so be aware.

until we get a sign built I'm not sure how to notify folks at the course that aren't web regulars.

Lance
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could put a notice on the board at the big shelter?

Thanks for the heads up.
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: missing baskets 2008 Reply with quote

Ross will be missing baskets at least the following days from about 7am-3pm.

May 20, 21, 22 & 28.

I will try ot post this at the course today.

Lance
staatsy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Which holes? Reply with quote

Just curious - which holes/baskets will be missing these days? Several? Will the course still be playable, or will it be unsafe to throw with the kids around?

E
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: all the baskets Reply with quote

all the baskets are gone. the kids aren't at the park, they're at school playing a round in their school yards on a temp course.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: all the baskets Reply with quote

fiya79 wrote:
all the baskets are gone. the kids aren't at the park, they're at school playing a round in their school yards on a temp course.

Why take apart a public course when you could work with EDGE to put a standards-based curricular program in the schools, including developmentally appropriate discs for each grade level, easily portable baskets, and lesson plans and AV materials?

Contact me for information about grant monies available to help get this going.

jon

Jon Lyksett
(208) 785-8915
staatsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: all the baskets Reply with quote

discgolfidaho wrote:

Why take apart a public course when you could work with EDGE to put a standards-based curricular program in the schools, including developmentally appropriate discs for each grade level, easily portable baskets, and lesson plans and AV materials?

jon

Jon Lyksett
(208) 785-8915

I'm not sure why you didn't simply suggest to take a look at the following website and then kindly offer to answer any questions.

http://www.edgediscgolf.org/introduction.htm

This program looks great, but the City should still be praised for the fact that they are putting time and effort in to providing the baskets and set up for local schools.

I'm not sure the club is the one that would do the purchasing, though - this seems like a community or school-specific program.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: all the baskets Reply with quote

staatsy wrote:
discgolfidaho wrote:

jon

Jon Lyksett
(208) 785-8915

I'm not sure why you didn't simply suggest to take a look at the following website and then kindly offer to answer any questions.

http://www.edgediscgolf.org/introduction.htm

This program looks great, but the City should still be praised for the fact that they are putting time and effort in to providing the baskets and set up for local schools.

I'm not sure the club is the one that would do the purchasing, though - this seems like a community or school-specific program.

It's a legitimate question. The time and labor involved in removing and replacing the baskets surely is worth something, not withstanding putting the playing public out of a facility for whatever length of time.

The Snake River Series is an EDGE Charity Series in 2008, and there will be monies available to help with the establishment of school based programs in Idaho. Why wouldn't the club want to get involved in supporting any program that would promote our lifetime sport in our area?

Anyone that does disc golf promotion gets my praise. I simply want the limited resources in our community to be used wisely and appropriately. Many times local clubs do demos and disc golf days in schools, using a pile of 175 g drivers from the lost and found bin for 3rd and 4th graders. I'd like to see those kids learning to throw with good body mechanics using properly weighted discs for their developmental capabilites.

Yes, go to www.edgediscgolf.org. Then give me a call.

jon
hongmindy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance is out of town on the river for a week. I know that he looked at the edge system extensively but it was way too expensive. I don't know if he knows about the grants.

Lance was able to get the funding for the baskets approved from the city because they would be used for the school programs.

Lance does do demonstrations and games and teaches rules for the schools. He has lesson plans and all the kids go home with handouts. Then he sets up a 9 hole course on their playground and sends classes through it. It takes an entire day to do 1 school.

I don't think anyone in the club could take 1 day off work for all of the schools in the area. That's why it is so great that Lance and his employees actually get paid to do it.

Mindy
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy,
I've sent you a PM with further information.
jon
fiya79

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: EDGE Reply with quote

Mindy pretty much summed it up. I took a long hard look at edge but there are a ton of things at play with my decision.

Just to clarify-> The course started out as an education program that loaned the baskets to the parks when not in use, not a course that sometimes goes away.

foremost- I had a tricky political/budget situation to deal with. This was the best way to get a course and a program given constraints too numerous to list including a short time frame, a reluctant parks superintendent and school district red tape.

to ramble specific points:

1) cost- edge sticker prices are pretty high compared to what I paid. grants would have been nice, but time was short (days, not weeks) and my funding went away.

2) school district choices- EGDE looks more applicable to PE and full time educators with multiple contacts with the kids over a year. I have maybe an hour, usually 15 minutes per class.

3) multi use- to stretch my budget and justify the expense on an experimental program I had to buy a system that could benefit a specific program as well as the general public the rest of the time.

4) who knew ross park would be packed 24/7? the disc golf playing public was pretty minimal at the time. you weren't taking the baskets away from that many folks.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: EDGE Reply with quote

fiya79 wrote:
Mindy pretty much summed it up. I took a long hard look at edge but there are a ton of things at play with my decision.

Just to clarify-> The course started out as an education program that loaned the baskets to the parks when not in use, not a course that sometimes goes away.

foremost- I had a tricky political/budget situation to deal with. This was the best way to get a course and a program given constraints too numerous to list including a short time frame, a reluctant parks superintendent and school district red tape.

to ramble specific points:

1) cost- edge sticker prices are pretty high compared to what I paid. grants would have been nice, but time was short (days, not weeks) and my funding went away.

2) school district choices- EGDE looks more applicable to PE and full time educators with multiple contacts with the kids over a year. I have maybe an hour, usually 15 minutes per class.

3) multi use- to stretch my budget and justify the expense on an experimental program I had to buy a system that could benefit a specific program as well as the general public the rest of the time.

4) who knew ross park would be packed 24/7? the disc golf playing public was pretty minimal at the time. you weren't taking the baskets away from that many folks.

With all due respect, you didnt contact EDGE directly to see what could be done for you. I know what prices you paid for the baskets you have and EDGE could have beaten those prices, plus gotten you age appropriate playing equipment.

I've been the Executive Director of EDGE since it's inception 7 years ago and i live not 25 miles from you. Most of the older members of this club know me and have worked with me on this. EDGE is not just for schools, but for any organization that serves youth.

I'm glad that your program does get disc golf out to the schools, but now that you have a busy course in a park in town, that serves the public, isnt it worth leaving it in play and seeing what you can do to properly serve the schools community.

Call me and we'll talk. You'll be surprised at what we can do for you if you just ask.

jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: