5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Course Coming....Soda Springs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: New Course Coming....Soda Springs Reply with quote

In a cooperative venture between the City of Soda Springs, the SS School District, EDGE, and Hummingbird Disc Golf, a new 18-hole disc golf course will be opening at Art Kelly Park in July.

This course, equipped with Innova Discatcher targets and concrete tees for both Blue (+/- 950 rated players) and Red (+/- 875), measures out at 6915 ft from the Blues, with a par of 63 and SSA of 59.

There are technical holes, power holes, strategic golf elements, terrain, trees, water, brush, elevation on a course that will test not only your physical, but your mental game.

Tee sign posts are totally unique to each hole, having been individually designed and constructed as metal sculptures by students in the agriculture education program at SSHS. Students in the lifetime sports class did a major amount of brush clearing, as well as assisting with GPSr surveying of the course layouts.
Landscaping students built and planted fairway bunkers.

Dedication of the course is scheduled for around 1:00 pm on Saturday, July 26. This will be during the lunch break of the first presentation of the Soda Springs Summer Fling, a PDGA C-Tier tournament, presented by Hummingbird Disc Golf, supported by Innova-Champion and ALSCO, in benefit of EDGE. Pro and Am divisions will be offered and entry prices will be held low to encourage local participation from Soda Springs and Caribou County residents. The PDGA will be waiving the non-member fee for this tournament and will donate back the $2 per player admin fee to EDGE. Entries will be capped at 72, registration will be available online through PDGA, and locals will be given preference.

I'll post again when the front 9 baskets are in, and we can get together for a mid-week walk-through/play-around.

jon

Jon Lyksett
Hummingbird Disc Golf
mook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same course that Monsanto is funding? Because I know that Casey Kemmerer's dad was in the works for a course there as well.
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mook wrote:
Is this the same course that Monsanto is funding? Because I know that Casey Kemmerer's dad was in the works for a course there as well.

Monsanto is one of several hole sponsors, and is also donating some materials toward course construction. They are also sponsoring the grand opening celebration and disc give-away. I wouldn't say they are 'funding' the course, but are certainly participating, as are many other businesses in the area.

The primary financial sponsor is the City of Soda Springs. The school district also made considerable contributions. Among other donors of note, the Class of 2008 of Soda Springs HS sponsored a hole (#8) as their class gift to the community.

jon
mook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I really knew was that Casey said Monsanto was helping. Sorry I wasn't specific. It will be great to have another course in the area. I can't wait to come check it out. That area will be rocking with the Lava Hot Springs course going in as well. Unfortunately, I will be at the Targhee Open that weekend, but I hope it gets a great turnout.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discgolfidaho,

I noticed a brand new basket there at the park, but it appears to be a practice basket as I could not find any others. How are you looking for an install date and do you need help?

Thanks,

Caleb Wolfe
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discgolfidaho called me and is having trouble logging in, so I am posting this for him. Tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. there is a group meeting at the art kelly course in soda springs to work on the course. With enough people they may be able to get some baskets in. If anyone can come it would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like they will be working until noon.

Thanks,

Caleb Wolfe
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Work day at Soda Springs Reply with quote

The Soda Springs community is holding a work day at Art Kelly Park to move forward with the disc golf course project. A small crew of us have been spending a couple days a week, running chain saws and brush hogs, but the downed material needs to be dragged off the fairways and loaded into trucks to take out of the park. We also are reseeding, with native grasses, most of the areas where we have removed sagebrush and bitterbrush.

Tomorrow we will be cutting a 565 foot fairway through cedar and aspen, setting forms for 20+ tee pads, installing sleeves for baskets on the back nine, preparing for installation of tee signs, and removing about 200 yards of barbed wire fencing.

We are meeting at 8:00 am at the pavilion, assigning crews, and working hard and fast until around 12:30 or 1:00 pm. At that time, most folks will be leaving and a small contingent will assess what is left, probably put out the baskets on the front 9, and maybe work some more in the afternoon.

Kudos to the City of Soda Springs and its residents. In the past 6 weeks, they have raised nearly $20,000, put in hundreds of hours of time, and taken this project on as their own. This will be a gem of a course when its done and it will be through the efforts of people who knew little or nothing about disc golf when it all started. A teacher at the high school planted the seed, and the plant is growing strong. Starting in September, all 700 students in the Soda Springs Schools will take disc golf as part of their PE curriculum. The city will have an 18 hole, par 62 disc golf course, with leagues and activities, and will have held their first PDGA tournament.

All disc golfers are welcome to come out and help tomorrow. If you can't make it then, but would like to help some, please give me a call at 680-6620 and I'll let you know when we'll be working next. I'll be in LA for the Golden State Classic next week, but the week after that we'll probably finish the tee pads, and set the back 9 baskets. Grand Openng is July 26th. Word on the online registration for the Soda Springs Summer Fling C-Tier will be forthcoming.

Thanks.

jon
discgolfidaho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: update on Soda Springs Reply with quote

90% of the ground work is done on holes 1-9. 12 teepads to pour, then baskets will go in.

60% of groundwork is done on 10-18, with 13 teepads to pour on the back side. Basket locations are marked, but very rocky back there, so sleeve installation is taking longer than expected. Boy, i LOVE jackhammers!!!!

Had to move an entire hole after notification that the previously designed one would likely be fenced across in the next year, as it crossed an access path to a city spring. Good thing I have a professional lumberjack working with me. He cut the preliminary pathway of a new 680 foot fairway through a cedar and aspen grove in about 4 hours...crews are clearing out the downfall and i'll go back next week and mark out the landing areas places I want widened, and Bryce will fire up the chain saw and finish. The things you go through to get a par five hole. For those of you that have never played disc golf in Pennsylvania, this hole will give you a taste. Shades of Sedgley or Nockamixon.

I'm tentatively planning a course walkthrough with anyone interested on Wednesday, July 2 at 6:00 pm. We will possibly be able to throw on the front 9, and see the progress on the back. Let me know if you are interested... email me at discgolf_idaho at msn dot com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: