5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Team Over The Top Open
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: I didn't want to say it Reply with quote

It looks like everyone from Pocatello was in the right division, and just played really well. brandon in particular played well above his current rating.

Brandon played a whopping 34 points above on average. Drew isn't rated but played 923 average, or quite a bit better than me. Caleb played just above his rating as well, though it is hard to average above 976 for very long when you've given up the sport.

Again, congrats to all. I hope all that money you all take off of me at league helped in some way.
RobBull

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard from some of the Ogden guys that the ace race up there was just a big money trap. That if you got an ace you didn't get the $500, just a chance to throw another disc for an ace. If you aced that you got $500. Paying $20 a person to do that? I guess no one knew the details until after they paid the extra cash.

Congrats to all of you. Hope to see you all representing in Riverdale in a few weeks.
discgolf101

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People can look at the ace race however they want. The fact of the matter is that myself and Kris put $500 of our own money on the line, and had it in hand in case someone did make the second ace.

I don't look at it as a money trap. We sold Crystal Buzzz' to contestants for the normal asking price of $20. Rather than simply walking away with a very nice new disc, those who got one also got the chance to play in an ace race with the possibility of getting $500 out of it. How many times have you bought a disc and had that opportunity?

We tried our best to put on a fun tournament. On top of the ace race, we had a ring of fire in which we gave out over $700 worth of mechandise, and put on a free players BBQ. Our CTP's were Crystal Buzzz' and Super Color Buzzz' that have a retail value of $240. Money trap? I came out of pocket big time on this tournament, and have absolutely no regrets. I just wanted to do something a little more than hold a typical tournament; I wanted to show the players my enthusiasm for the game and my appreciation for their support.

I love the fact that after giving away so much to people and trying to make it a memorable weekend, people still feel entitled to more. I guess some people just aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about!
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: tournaments Reply with quote

Having not run a tournament myself, and having complained a lot on message boards about them I do have some input to TDs.

1) disclose your plans.

if people know what they are getting into they are going to be a lot happier when they arrive. Want to throw a unique tourney- cool- just say exactly why in advance. weird payouts? say so. side bets? lay out everything in clear writing. course changes? email maps (good job).

2) expect grief

people are jerks. even if it was 95% good times I will post about the bad as well as the good. Ignore it, do better, move on.

It sucks to spend money on a tourney and get complaints. I applaud your effort. hope to come next year.
RobBull

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with your points Lance. I have run several events in the past. You really have to be prepared to recieve comments good and bad. I have had some good ideas and some crappy ones too. Trust me, players have let me know. Each year I try to improve and give the players what they want.

In the scenario listed I am not sure that most players knew exactly what was going to happen with this side game until after they had signed up. If it is being sold as your buying an expensive Buzz to help the event and getting a remote shot at $500 that is one thing. The probability that anyone would get to claim the $500 is extremely low. I am lucky if I get two aces in the same calendar year.

I think money is a touchy subject with players this year. It costs $50- $100 in gas just to travel to an event. Food, lodging and everything costs more than it used too and then you have the entry fees. Playing a tournament is alot more expensive than it used to be. The TD and club put alot of time and money into the event and the players pays alot of money to play.

No one is taking anything away from the time and effort you put into this event. The event had a huge amount of value. Being a TD is a thankless job. Thanks for your time and effort as a TD.
mook

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

I have run over 30 events of small and larger sizes (not including leagues) in my 9 year disc golf tenure. Just understand that you cannot make everyone happy no matter what you do or how much money or time is invested in any event. I heard some complaints about the ace race, but they were misunderstandings about it. I had an absolute blast and it is among one of my favorite events to date, and I have played in tournaments for 8 years now. I know what they look like from the players and the TD's point of view. Yeah, there are always things that are missed, especially the first event you run, but you did a great job and next year will be even better. Nice job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: