10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New OB at ross park and memorial day alterations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: New OB at ross park and memorial day alterations Reply with quote

I met with the mayor today as well as my boss and the parks superintendent. As a group it was decided that the veteran's memorial and course do not pose a significant interference to each other despite ongoing complaints by veterans.

As many people know hole 5 was shortened to accomodate their complaints. Several have continued to call stating that the hole was not moved. The mayor and others realize the course is VARY popular and the complainers are in the minority by far, however I think veterans vote more than DGers. Ulimately no changes to the course layout were deemd necessary... however.... from now on the memorial will officially be declared arial out of bounds.
If any disc passes over the memorial it is a one stroke penalty and re-throw. You will be throwing at least three at that point. The signs will reflect this when printed.
It is basically played like a mandatory.
This will stand for league as well. I'm sorry no one else was consulted, but the meeting was set up firday evening and happened today as an internal process.

This will affect hole 4 and 5 alternate pads. no more big hyzer.

Please spread the word.
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: memorial day Reply with quote

because of the high traffic on memorial day hole 5 will be gone all day Monday. it will be on hole 6. to get 9 holes play 6 from both positions.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks if you throw backhand on those holes... no worries for me.

This makes a lot of sense though. Especially pulling out hole 5 completely on Memorial Day

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
mook

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this decision. But, instead of saying that you get a stroke going over the memorial, why don't we follow a REAL disc golf rule and call the veterans memorial a mandatory on holes 4 and 5? You must go left of the flag poles on holes 4 and 5 and then we can make a drop zone if you don't hit the mando.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice idea MOOK. the mando with a drop zone that is

I also think it would be wise to move hole 4 to the original placement on Memorial Day (just because the original pin placement is farther away from the memorial)

just my two cents. take it or leave it
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote

Mando, arial OB, whatever the name.. no more hyzer shots.

drop zone is the tee pad, or re-tee, choose your term again.

I will move hole 4 by friday evening, good call.

This largely only applies to alt pads anyway. the odds of getting in the memorial on 5 regular are pretty low. on 4? maybe with a wicked wind.
staatsy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Great Compromise Reply with quote

This is a great compromise and should show the vets that the disc golfing community is responsible and respectful. Great job, Lance. Have you (or anyone else) contacted any local veterans' organizations to let them know the news? Otherwise, they may not know that action has been taken.

Although I like the idea of this being a mando, I agree with mook about making a drop zone. Think about it - if a player sends a disc over the memorial and the drop zone is the tee pad, you're setting them up for a repeat. Don't think about it as a disc golf decision, but in the same realm of respect for the memorial - lessen the chance of it happening again.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth....
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if the drop zone is just the normal tee box? or just in front of it, or something?

just an idea
novosel14

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing for almost a year now, everyday at ross. I have never been in or around the Vets memorial. To be honest Im not sure how big of a problem it is. Im not even sure I have seen a disc over there. But I think you have to respect the OLD people that think every disc is going for their heads. But to put drop rules not everyone will play by is kinda stupid. Not every disc golfer reads this blog. If I get in the momorial sure I will drop but Im not every disc golfer in Pocatello.
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: dear novosel Reply with quote

I think a disc in the memorial is a very rare occurnece indeed. The move is more of a political gesture by the mayor than a real significant change. Most of the players considering the big hyzer throw from the alt tees play league, I would guess, and will get the word soon. It will also be on the new tee signs after the survey club does their deed.

as for a different drop zone, I'm no opposed to that. for the alt tees the drop zone could be the regular tee. the odds of going in from those is almost nil.
drewpy101

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was a vet I would be more concerned with the homosexual playgournd that the monument is set in the middle of then the discs. Though, I am not opposed to the mando.

Pocatello needs to step up, notice the popularity and fund a new park, grass and all......no monuments........like maybe the cemetary....that would be sweet.

Okay thats a joke and not funny, I know....sorry.

Though a new park, set up initially for disc golf would be terrific....and would be very popular.
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: vets Reply with quote

Yup. the disc course has displaced so much undesirable activity it is crazy. the first few months it was scary up there. I hear they meet at Sister City Park now. Let's get em.

As for the memorial-- you will never please a lot of those guys, but we've made concessions and after the signs are made it is really hard to change again, so I'll start working on that.
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: also... Reply with quote

the mayor said he eats lunch at ross park sometimes and commented on how popular it seemd and asked about future plans to get another course. This seems entirely posiitve.
mook

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of applying rules to REAL disc golf rules. I vote for mandos left of the flag poles because alot of times it may be very unclear if you actually go over the memorial or not. Along those lines, I have noticed that disc golfers (including league players) will walk through the landscaping of the memorial which is completely unneccesary. Please don't do that. If a mando is missed, by definition, a thrower must play from a drop zone. If we make the tee pad a drop zone, I would have to agree with Eric and say that a repeat is likely.

Now, I don't think that these even apply to the course teepads. It is very unlikely someone will go in the memorial from hole 4 and they would almost have to throw backwards on hole 5. So I don't believe we would need to designate this on the course signs. But it will definately be enforced for league and that means the drop zones are my decision.

I do believe that on the course signs 4 and 5 that there should be something stating that we respect the veterans memorial and that it is not ok to play through them, that they are out of bounds, and if you go in between or over the flag poles that you must re tee with a penalty stroke.

....and its not ok to litter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: